Sunrise Peak via Sunrise Trail

Sunrise Peak via Sunrise Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fountain Hills, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice moderate uphill hike, quite craggy. The final ¼ mile up to the peak is just as the signs indicate, narrow and steep, but not overly so. I'm a flip flop hiker and had no issues ascending or descending. Great shade spot on the peak for a quick break if extending this trail to Lost Dog Wash (nice easygoing extension). Also, keep an eye out for the larger lizards just a little before the first landing. Overall a nice hike.

It is actually beautiful. I went this am, late start. Turned around after a bit. On trail 45 min. Came back to my car & rear window smashed. Items stolen from car. Police said several cars were hit. At sunrise & another trailhead.

Really too bad

Beautiful canyon on the way in and really nice views from the top. I saw 5 other hikers on my hike that started at 5 PM on Friday afternoon. 75% of the way was shaded and a nice breeze was blowing which brought the temp down 10 degrees or so from 108 when I started out. The 1000' foot climb up is a lot easier than comparable hikes around the valley.

A wonderful, moderately difficult, non-technical hike so close to Scottsdale! We started at 5am and caught the sunrise on our way up - the views from the top are incredible. Highly recommended.

Love this trail and it''s not as traffic as other trails I go to.

Like this Trail, best to get an early start this time of year. A lot of the Trail is vertical inclines. Good workout!

Nice terrain and inclines. Amazing views, worth it for sunrise. Got there at 4:55 on a Saturday to 1 other cars. Full parking lot by the time we left

Awesome trail! I went at 6pm and saw a total of 5 people there and back. Great scenery in all directions!

Great trail. Moderately hard. Longer than 3.6 miles. Both people in my party clocked it at 4.6 miles round trip. Steep the last part to the peak. Would love to do this trail again. Highly recommend, nice views.

This is one of my all time favorite hikes. It’s beautiful and the views are amazing.

Great hike to start with to open up the lungs to prepare for more difficult hikes (if you’re visiting). Nice elevation gain;more of a steep incline toward the top to reach the summit. I would consider this a pretty rugged trail to run on.. It was challenging in a good way, moderate is an accurate description! We started late, about 9:30am, I think it was 79 when we started and mid 80s by the time we finished. It wasn’t unbearably hot. Nice breeze at the top and on the way back down.

Sitting here at 5AM. Gate is not opening?! Does anyone know about when this officially opens? Why is it called the sunrise, so you can sit at the gate and wait for the sun to rise?

Great hike. Got a little to warm, we started too late. There is an awesome overlook about two thirds of the way up to take a quick rest before you summit. Crews were out working on the trail, it is exceptionally maintained. Thanks guys!

Great hike with beautiful views! Would definitely do this trail again!

Very nice hike with beautiful views!

Loved this trail. It is on the easy side of moderate, but this trail is not easy. There is some good elevation changes and some excellent scenery. The lower parts of the trail are pretty easy, but the later parts near the summit are where it because more difficult. Definitely worth checking out.

Great trail. Moderate is perfect description. Summited right before sunset and while it was beautiful we really had to hoof it back down to beat the night setting in. So last mile was pretty dark. Would do again at sunset but descend on one of the western-facing trails.

Amazing view at sunset, not just sunrise. On easier side for a moderate trail, short and sweet with a great payoff at the top!

Did the accent to the summit this morning.at 5:35am. Parking lot does not open till roughly 30 minutes before sunrise, however we were lucky that the overflow lot was not gated when we arrived. The climb was moderately easy with the last .8 miles of steep incline to the summit. The views of the sunrise were breathtaking and would be willing to do it again. Crowds were light and plan on a 45 minute climb at a good steady pace.

Easy to stay on trail. Can get pretty crowded so I suggest going very early in the morning if you do not like crowds. It says 3.7 but we actually clocked about 4.6 to get all the way to the peak. Great views on the way and at the top

Trail very well marked, essentially impossible to get off the trail.

Nice to find a trail with some nice smooth areas, and a nice easy incline, which makes for a very pleasant hike.

Round-trip, one hour. Spectacular views

Trail was not marked at all.....we are fairly experienced hikers and we got off trail twice and never was able to get back on trail again.....would definitely not recommend this hike. Put some trail markings or signs in.

very cool hike, super windy at top..but beautiful views.

Great quick hike. Took about 45 up and 25 down, ran most of the way. Good in the evening because it's mostly shaded. Good work out in 1.5 hours.

Nice hike. Relatively easy.

Nice steady incline and for sure more challenging after the first viewing point. So rewarding at the summit, amazing views. Didn't make it all the way up the first time, but paced myself and lots of small breaks and got to the top, well worth it!!

Beautiful hike, but much more challenging than i anticipated. Incredible views and very clean.

Great trail. Great views all the way and especially from the very top. Rocky trail and moderately steep in places. Saw the Fountain Hills fountain from the top. Only one mountain biker. Where is the wildlife though? Took us 2.5 hours.

Great trail. Short but steep to terrific views.

Cuts through a beautiful tract of land on a rolling uphill incline. Great workout, great fun!