Sunrise Mountain Trail

Sunrise Mountain Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Peoria, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Loved it! Went on a Saturday morning and there were more people at the trailhead park (west wing park) than the trail itself. Only issue was stopping every once in a while to figure out which path was the right path (need better trail markers). It’s a little narrow in certain sections around the southern peak with steep drop offs (careful with kids less than 8ish).

This is my go to trail. It's close to my house and can give you a varied workout with distances up to 6 miles.

Nice out and back with a small loop- bit of climbs in places but very moderate overall.

What a nice trail! My husband and I (early 60's) are new to the area living in Glendale. Thunderbird always busy on the weekends so looked for another trail close by. Arrived around 9 and began a lovely hike. It is a good workout with great views.

My family and I enjoy this hike. I've completed it several times with them and by myself. It is also pet-friendly. I would also recommend this for trail running. There are crowds on the weekend, but the views of Peoria are nice. Bathrooms are at the trailhead if you start from Westwing Park.

Where is the trailhead?

Enjoyed the hike very much! It was fairly easy, even for non-experienced hikers. A bit rocky here and there but the views were worth it!

Was a really fun hike wasn’t too bad took about two hours but we kept on stopping and looking at the view kids loved it!!!

After 1st km km, a great sidewinder type of trail, fairly rugged, that circles three or four peaks and walks you along a few ridges. Nice views 360.

Great view! I loved it! It has plenty of places that level out so it’s not bad at all. The view was a huge pay-off! Wow!

Easily one of my go to trails in the valley. Not too congested at all, reasonable for dogs also. Good elevation changes and routes to choose from, with 3 total peaks to get to and options around them should you want. Very nice views of the NW valley. Recommended by far.

Beautiful views but it’s easy to get off trail without realizing it.
Great moderate hike!

Nice trail but we did get off the trail without realizing it at one point. It seemed like it was a groomed trail but when I pulled out my GPS it showed we had made a wrong turn. Newbies—use your phone/GPS to make sure you’re still on track!

Beautiful views

I really enjoy going here. Plus close to home is great.

Pretty mellow little hike, close to home. The sunrise was pretty awesome, hence the name I suppose.

Great hike and views.

Grand

Loved this one

For running, a little bit of gravel on the steep downhill slows the pace, but it's Arizona and to be expected. I'll be back to do more running here.

Good short hike. Not very busy on Saturday morning.

There are a network of trails of varying difficulty and length to hike and the mountain is big enough that even when it is busy you aren’t on top of other people. Personally I found the difficult routes to be easier than the easier routes but that may just be preference. There is plenty to enjoy here. You must park at the park and walk down a dirt path toward the elementary school to get to the trailhead.

Great for early morning hikes before work.

This is a great Blue level hike. There are several options, so pay attention to the trail markers to avoid the strenuous options.

The location for this park is actually not correct. It is Sunrise Mountain Trail, but it has nothing to do with Hillcrest Park. The trail is on Sunrise Mountain Preserve and it is in Peoria, Arizona. The place where you can park is called Westwing Neighborhood Park (adjacent to Westwing Elementary School).

Great trail and i also went over to another peak by the Sunrise Relief Mine. There are several unmarked trails that can lead you away from the main trail.

You need to pay attention to these, and on a positive note they allow more exploration then if you just stay on the Sunrise Mountain Trail.

Once i was 1/2 mile from the car i was alone for the entire hike. It is a very scenic hike with great views and lots of different plants. This is going to be a monthly hike from now on. Bring 3 quarts of water to be on the safe side and snacks.

Great views of houses . Lots of families with kids & dogs walking these trails.

Well trafficked and in spots you needed to really be weary of slipping. due to our late arrival we mostly stayed on the main trail. good views throughout.

Good for trail running.