Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Submarine Rock and Devil's Living Room Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(125)
Coconino National Forest

Submarine Rock and Devil's Living Room Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 318 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trailhead is at the east end of Morgan Rd east of 179.

Didn’t complete the trail because there was a snake.

Beautiful views! Barely anyone on the trail. Took a side trail to submarine to rock.

On a Jeep route for the first little ways but then is more pleasant once you pass that.

We loved the trail especially the view. Slightly windy at the top. On the way back we took the Broken arrow trail and added a mile to Chicken Point which was another spectacular view on top. Don’t miss these trails. With combined mileage it took to do both trails from Morgan trailhead was only 4 miles total.

I did this at first light so had the trail to myself. I made it to the top of Submarine Rock and was able to sit for a few minutes before I saw six pink jeeps coming in. That was my cue to head back to the trailhead. If you really want to enjoy this walk without hearing the jeeps and all their chatter, as well as all the other walkers who start in the morning, arrive at the trailhead at dawn.

I added submarine rock to this trail. Makes for a beautiful day out and some great scenery. You deal with the jeeps on some sections, but it doesn’t take anything away. I did the trail clockwise which seemed to decrease the inclines if you decide to do it counter.

Wished we knew about the trails for jeeps. One point in the trail we had to wait for traffic to pass because it’s very narrow and very steep so had to modify the recommended trail. Took the submarine point instead of chicken point. But it was as beautiful & less traffic.

Enjoyed climbing submarine rock and the views were great and so was devils living room. Took the broken arrow 4X4 route to start and both parts are easily accessible. Worth checking out makes broken arrow trail that much better with chicken point!

Good but not great in parts. Super muddy trail (which isn't a complaint because you can't control weather), but my real complaint was there are waaay too many jeeps weaving in and out of the trails making everything busy and muddy. The view from the top of submarine rock, however, is 360 degrees of amazing if you brave the rest.

recorded Broken Arrow Trail

Many Jeeps on the motorized-trail portions of this hike so we modified to avoid. Nice detour to Submarine Rock was definitely worthwhile. Mostly easy hike for the whole family, great views

fantastic hike!! did it with infant in pack. was perfect

Great trail! Easy parking. Broken arrow to submarine rock to chicken run back to broken arrow to get home. About 4.6 miles in 2 hours 45 minutes. We sat around at chicken run for a while because the views are perfect :)

We truly enjoyed this hike. We made a loop from Broken Arrow to Submarine Rock to Chicken Point and back down Broken Arrow. The 360 degree views from Submarine Rock are majestic and take your breath away. Every step you got a different view that was amazing. Highly recommend.

Wonderful hike. The trail is rugged and well marked. I diverted on the way back and added High on the Hog and Twin Buttes trails. Beautiful area.

Easy trail for beginners with a great payoff. Great scenery of SEDONA and worth the hour or so to hike.

I would highly recommend this trail. The hiking is separate from the Jeep trails, and has great aesthetics. Went in the evening and thoroughly enjoyed the trail. Not experienced hikers, flat landers, it was easy to survive. Climbing up Submarine Rock made me a bit nervous, but that was because we were impatient and scaled it rather than walk around for the best way up! Will do it again and explore more aspects of the trail!

this trail holds a special place in my heart as I got engaged here last year. This year we started at Broken Arrow, went to Submarine rock, then continued to chicken point and headed home through high on the hog and twin buttes. it took us about 2 hours 20 mins with a few picture breaks and water stops. I'd recommend going quite early if you are doing this in high heat. We got here are 730am and it was definitely warm as we were ending with little shade.

Sun May 26 2019

Really Great Moderate Hike with Awesome views of Sedona. Went with my wife and kids and they had no problems whatsoever. Nothing difficult. Ended up at Chicken Point. There is an ATV or 4x4 trail as well as the walking trail.

Sun May 12 2019

Great spot for people who want to take in 360 degree views. Even fun in the rain.

Sun May 12 2019

Posting on both this trail & broken Arrow since it is where we started! Started on broken arrow, took that up and cut a left onto the high on the hog trail! Looped up and around perfectly and brought us back down to broken arrow Cut over to submarine rock trail, which took us up and back down through the bottom of the canyon & right back to our car! Great trails.

Thu Apr 25 2019

Great trail system as there a lot of different trails you can take to explore the views

Sun Feb 24 2019

Sun Jan 27 2019

Would recommend this trail to anyone visiting Sedona! Has the best of everything the area has to offer — including scrambling at the end AND you get to watch the Jeep tours come through!

Sat Jul 07 2018

Fairly flat and well marked to Submarine Rock. Make sure you scramble up to the top for some of the best views of the east side of Sedona. Sadly, we couldn’t find Devil’s Living Room - the sink hole - not sure how we missed it.

Tue May 02 2017

Nice afternoon walk. Once you get there it's kind of disappointing. Rock is difficult to see and you just happen upon it. Parking is great and trails are marked pretty good.

Thu Sep 29 2016

Submarine Trail can be reached by the Broken Arrow Trail from the north, where there is parking, or from the south where Broken Arrow Trail starts and Little Horse Trail stops at Chicken Point. As a note: AllTrails has Broken Arrow incorrectly indicated on the map for part of the way. Where they break off from my track (and Google maps) is part of Twin Buttes Trail, then have Broken Arrow dropping back down where there is no "marked" trail.

Mon Mar 28 2016

Great!!! Flat, easy well walked paths. Easily done in overcast weather. The view from the top of the submarine is amazing.