Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Squaw Peak Circumference

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(90)
Phoenix Mountain Preserve

Squaw Peak Circumference is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,961 feet Route Type: Loop

Note to dog owners: This loop includes a small portion of the Summit Trail, which DOES NOT allow dogs.

I ran this trail and my watched clocked closer to 6.9 miles. Easy to follow most of the way, but had to walk maybe about 2 miles of it due to being very steep and the scramble. Wasn’t too happy having to come back on the Piestewa Summit trail, as it was quite busy. My favorite part of the hike was the first ~2 miles on trail 8a & 8b.

Amazing views and terrain

Great trail, a little hard to find your way across the wash to freedom trail. Secluded most of the north side of the mountain, but the summit trail portion was awful... otherwise I would have given it 5 stars. Way too crowded on that portion.

Was pretty easy

Great trail, we didnt realize this loop includes a short portion of the summit trail, where dogs are NOT alllowed, and we couldnt find any route that circumvented it. had to choose between breaking the rules and turning around and making it an unplanned 10 mile hike. so if you plan on bringing your dog plan on turning around before mile 5 or so.

I think y'all are including much more than the circumference of Piestwa (Squaw). I did it today counter-clockwise from the parking lot for Piestwa and it was 3.8 miles. I only went around Piestwa itself and there was really no confusion except when I saw the sign for the summit portion (on the north-west side of the mtn.). You do have to join up with the summit trail for a little bit which IMHO is awful!! Hordes of people and huge stair steps. Going counter-clockwise you just always stay to the left, easy if you just look at the mountain and keep it to your left. I think it's a nice trail except for the portion of the summit trail.. The map here includes a loop around Quartz Mtn., trails 202 & 8A I think. That's an entirely different loop and much nicer I think. I did see the first poppy blossoms of the season which was nice.

As others have said definitely need All Trails. This is not an official trail. It is a hike using the trail system slowing you to go around the circumference of the peak. Lots of climbing and descending. Great hike though

Great trail! There was one area where you climb down into a wash area and it looks like you should go straight but the trail is actually not well marked and to the left of the wash. Then it has you gross in the middle of two trails. We had to go into the wash and then back out - a bit messy but just stick to AllTrails and you should be fine. Well trafficked trail and a good amount of ups and downs. We ended up adding the Piestewa Summit to this one and we ended about 9.3 miles and just under 3K in elevation gain. Happy hiking!

Started at 40 St. and circled Squaw Peak clockwise. Very cool morning. Didnt see any wildlife. Dang...

Reviews are all accurate, not marked well in a lot of spots. Thank goodness for the app and my watch to keep me on track. Trail marked as 200A on the app is actually 202

Good day hike with lots of up/down variance - kind of nice not to just be uphill or just downhill. Def would have been VERY difficult without the alltrails recording - you can see on my recording there were a few places I wandered a bit before deciding on which was the correct trail. No major animal sightings today, just a couple rabbits and some very big road runners

Sun May 19 2019

Too many trails intersecting at various places, not well marked at all. Easy to get lost. What saved me was my AllTrails App.

Sun Apr 28 2019

I loved this hike. I saw very few people on the middle section of the trail and had beautiful views of the valley. I did male a wrong turn due to the signs on the backside not being great, but there were enough trails to get back without having to backtrack. Also a great mix of steep climbs and gentle parts.

Thu Mar 07 2019

great hike

Thu Mar 07 2019

Pretty trail, good workout. On the hard side of moderate especially if you add going to the Peak. Not too crowded going counterclockwise. Definitely use the AllTrails app to navigate b/c there are a lot of trails accessible on this loop - using the app you can decide how big to make the loop and can easily navigate around some trail/parking lot construction that’s happening on the western side of the loop. Great views and wildflowers!

Sun Feb 24 2019

Great hike! Worth the time and effort. I’d definitely advise to use this app on the trail as there are little to no signs. I recorded my hike on this app and it helped keep me on the right trails. I’d do it again.

Fri Feb 15 2019

Loved this hike. Great work out.

Sun Feb 03 2019

Nice hike! Rocky in parts, but nice and great scenery. Someone posted trail numbers and that helped but still went out of my way several times due to signage or lack of, and changes perhaps to restore areas. With all the side trips took 3 and a half hours to do a little over 7, so rocks slowed me down a little but I don’t like to slip and fall so I’m cautious. Beautiful scenery and good going up the peak.

Sat Jan 26 2019

My favorite trail for conditioning. 1850’ elevation gain split mostly between three equidistant pass climbs. Just over 7 miles on my gps. If you’re up for it you can climb Piestewa pretty conveniently. I did it counter clockwise.

Sun Dec 02 2018

Parking can be a pain. Get there extremely early or more after 12 on the weekends. Great hike! 8a to 8b to 302/304 to the 200/202. For anyone that doesn’t want to look at or take a map. Some places on the 302 are conducive to running if that’s your thing. Good amount of elevation with great views of the city. Bring water.

Mon Nov 26 2018

Really loved this trail and it was very scenic once you get on the backside of the mountain. I do wish I had brought a map though as it’s not very clearly marked. Would recommend this - my favorite trail at the preserve so far.

Sun Jun 17 2018

I hike in Phoenix Mountains Preserve a few times a week. I've done the Freedom Trail many times but had never done the full circumference until yesterday. A great combo of elevation gain and distance. Perfect for training with a pack. While not as busy as the Summit Trail, the entire park is crawling with fair weather hikers when the weather is nice, who don't really understand hiking etiquette. This can be particularly frustrating when you're going up a steep incline with a fully-laden pack and they nearly knock you off the trail instead of stepping aside. One note about the map...the portion of the trail marked 200A is actually 202. There is ample signage to help you along the way.

Tue Feb 13 2018

Nice trail, but certain sections aren’t marked as clearly as they are on the AllTrails map. You won’t get lost, per say, as there are plenty of other trails to take through the preserve area. Overall, what a great place to spend the morning!!!