Spur Cross Trail

Spur Cross Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

This Spur Cross loop is the most popular and easiest hike of the Spur Cross Conservation Area. The views are spectacular and the Solar Oasis is an interesting place to discover. This hike is ideal as a quick and easy loop, crossing cave creek (which is often running) several times. The desert scenery is amazing, very lush with giant saguaros. The Solar Oasis is an unexpected conservation area with an Ironwood replanting area opposite.

Was a beautiful fun hike

Easy hike, little terrain change, great views and nice people

Don’t forget your $3 and it goes to a great cause! Amazing views! Easy hike! So many saguaros - would definitely walk this again

Great hike. Clocked it at about 6 miles and took 1:53. Terrain is rocky in some places. Elevation changes are not too steep.

Porta potties at the trail head. $3/pp to hike the spur creek loop. You can do dragonfly by parking further out and not pay the conservancy fee.

Took this trail to the dragonfly trail - just beautiful and a lot of different terrains to walk through.

The trail is easy and filled with snow birds in the winter months. Would not recommend hiking here. It is a bit of a parade

We did about a 2 1/2 mile hike that included spur Cross and then we took Metate Back to the parking area. Very nice hike

Great hike.

This hike was stunning. It is a good medium hike and not super challenging. There was plenty of parking which was excellent so we did not have to wake up at the crack of dawn. We paid $3 to staff who gave us a map and suggestions on the trail. This trail is actually a combination of a few different trails. Everything is really well maintained and well marked. There are were not many people out on the trail, we probably passed less than 10 people the entire time. The views are gorgeous and lots of beautiful saguaros. We finished the 5.5 miles in about 2 hours and 15 minutes with a quick sandwich break halfway through. I'm looking forward to bringing some out of town guest to this area to have them experience the beauty of the desert.

Completed back in August nice that it was 5-6 degrees cooler than Mcdowell Mtn Ranch. As others have stated it is not an actual named loop, but a combo of 3 different trails. Really cool hike enjoyed the metate portion through the tree groves and was then the lower dragonfly providing some shade. Granted it was August but only saw one other couple on the trail, if looking for something similar difficulty to Gateway loop without the crowd this is it.

I did this trail in Feb, and it has been hands down one of my favorite hikes ever.

There were a ton of water crossings.

Very cool track - not too difficult but will get you working at times. Scenery is great.

Went to Spur Cross today. First time ever! Arrived at 6 am, so still reasonably cool. You park outside the gate and pay $3 inside. Free maps available, too. I had in mind to do Elephant Mountain, but I met a guard who pointed me toward Spur Cross since it was my first time there. Lo and behold, I started out on Spur Cross, but then came to Tortuga, which I knew connected to Elephant Mountain, so I turned off onto Tortuga and continued until I saw the sign marked Primitive Route. Not maintained. Use at your own risk, and knew I was getting to Elephant Mountain. I found the Elephant Mountain trail, which is a narrow footpath, barely a step wide, and headed down that trail. I didn't continue too far down the path. I was in site of the mountain, but then turned around and headed back. I will do it later. In fear of rattlesnakes, I was wearing jeans and had my trekking pole, but I didn't see or hear even one! Fun stuff. I will be back again.

Really pretty hike with great landscape. Gorgeous when wildflowers are blooming and nice to see running water. We did have to share trail with horseback tour. Also beware of rattlesnakes in this area.

Beautiful desert hike, with access to the many trails in Tonto national Forest.

Beautiful hike!

Absolutely loved this hike! It was partly cloudy and the weather was perfect for hiking. So many great photo opportunities throughout the hike as well. We did come across a rattlesnake about a 1/4 of the way into the hike. It made us all the more aware of our surroundings. Overall I'd love to do it again! Hope to be back soon.

Nice hike and so many flowers today!

when I reached the Spur Cross Ranch Conservation I was told that there was not a 5.4 mile trail called Spur Cross Trail. You actually have to combine two trails together to get the 5.4 mile hike, Dragon Fly trail and Metate trail.
That was disappointing because I already hiked those trails and I was expecting Spur Cross Trail to be something different and new.
The maps could use some work.
Otherwise the Dragon Fly trail and Metate were awesome!

Great hike.. a lot of incline but the views are with it!