Spur Cross Trail

Spur Cross Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

This Spur Cross loop is the most popular and easiest hike of the Spur Cross Conservation Area. The views are spectacular and the Solar Oasis is an interesting place to discover. This hike is ideal as a quick and easy loop, crossing cave creek (which is often running) several times. The desert scenery is amazing, very lush with giant saguaros. The Solar Oasis is an unexpected conservation area with an Ironwood replanting area opposite.

Very cool track - not too difficult but will get you working at times. Scenery is great.

Went to Spur Cross today. First time ever! Arrived at 6 am, so still reasonably cool. You park outside the gate and pay $3 inside. Free maps available, too. I had in mind to do Elephant Mountain, but I met a guard who pointed me toward Spur Cross since it was my first time there. Lo and behold, I started out on Spur Cross, but then came to Tortuga, which I knew connected to Elephant Mountain, so I turned off onto Tortuga and continued until I saw the sign marked Primitive Route. Not maintained. Use at your own risk, and knew I was getting to Elephant Mountain. I found the Elephant Mountain trail, which is a narrow footpath, barely a step wide, and headed down that trail. I didn't continue too far down the path. I was in site of the mountain, but then turned around and headed back. I will do it later. In fear of rattlesnakes, I was wearing jeans and had my trekking pole, but I didn't see or hear even one! Fun stuff. I will be back again.

Really pretty hike with great landscape. Gorgeous when wildflowers are blooming and nice to see running water. We did have to share trail with horseback tour. Also beware of rattlesnakes in this area.

Beautiful desert hike, with access to the many trails in Tonto national Forest.

Beautiful hike!

Absolutely loved this hike! It was partly cloudy and the weather was perfect for hiking. So many great photo opportunities throughout the hike as well. We did come across a rattlesnake about a 1/4 of the way into the hike. It made us all the more aware of our surroundings. Overall I'd love to do it again! Hope to be back soon.

Nice hike and so many flowers today!