Spruce Mountain Trail

Spruce Mountain Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Prescott, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful 360 view once up top.

This part of the groom creek trail can be difficult. There is ample shade and nice views. The switchbacks are a good workout before coming to the top.
The later at the tower was awesome. She pointed out the nearby towers and towns. She even let us use her binoculars. We could see the Goodwin fire still smoldering in off in the distance. On the way up her we could see the fire impact on the mountain.
This day it rain a little but good thing we had our backpack plastic covers. Started clear in the morning... but it can change quickly.

My friend and I arrived at the trail at 5:15 and began our hike up the hill. It was a beautiful morning with deer, turkeys-including hatchlings and squirrels spotted on the trail. We arrived at the top of the Mt before the fire tower opened but were able to refresh at the picnic tables. We did the up and back Trail but plan to return Monday for the circle trail

Great hike, and even better during winter!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

I did an out and back to the Spruce Mountain lookout...it wasn't too steep at the outset, but about halfway through I definitely noticed the terrain getting rockier and steeper. I thought it was lovely. There weren't too many people out! I wish I had had more time to do the loop.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

What a beautiful way to spend an afternoon! A great workout, but not too difficult. Dogs on leash are OK. We only saw about 5 other people on a perfect Sunday. Not crowded at all and lots of free parking. Make sure once you get to what seem slide the top go left and up a bit more to the fire lookout tower. The ranger will let you come up and enjoy the views.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Beautiful hike. Great company we hiked with. Trail was hard to find.

Sunday, June 01, 2014

This trail had the thickest woods of any trail in Prescott that ive seen so far. The Scenery is beautiful. I did the trail clockwise starting at the top. This made it a very pleasant hike except for the continuous switchbacks back to the top. Definitely worth it though.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I rode it in a counter clockwise direction. One big rock garden at present on the long 6 mile side climb. Lots of fun going down on the short 2.6 mile side. It would be a great hike. Elk are a plenty as are the deer. With elevation change you see the trees change from Pine and Oak to Aspen? and Spruce.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

This is such a great trail. It has wonderful views like being on top of the world, very well maintained and a restroom at the top with horse hitching rail and picnic tables .

Friday, September 24, 2010

This is a good Loop that is a challenging climb. You can run it in either direction. Trail is full of loose rocks and decomposed granite. Watch out for the horses and hikers on your decent. The climb is worth the decent in either direction.