South Mountain Trails (Desert Classic Trail) is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

super busy

Such an incredible workout, I alternate from ridge line Nd Beverly canyon to Pima wash to javelina, always exciting!

first time I've gone hiking in quite a long time so it was honestly to difficult for me after the first climb. had to turn around. but I would love to do it again when I'm in better shape. great views and beautiful sunrise.

Beautiful! If you're not on this trail, you're totally missing out on awesome moonlight hikes, sunset views and early morning coffee sunrise!!! ❤️

Great series of trails on and around a sandy butte. The trail arrangement is a bit confusing but since there’s almost no cover, you can see forever and won’t miss your trails. We hiked up one of the steep trails near the abandoned slate home and saw some great views of the Valley of the Sun. The trail seems popular with mountain bikers, runners and hikers. There’s no cover so bring water.

I currently moved from Wisconsin to Arizona with my boyfriend. We love the outdoors, and live about 17-ish minutes from the South Mountains. We saw a Quails, Birds of all kinds, small Lizards, and my boyfriend saw a Jack Rabbit but I didn’t, I’m too slow, I guess. Lol. Beautiful views in all directions. Hiked up to the top peak and saw the grand view of Phoenix city. For sure beautiful site to see!! Also many side trails. There is a building prior to entering that you can get a map from. Also, have a model of the mountain with light up blurb information of each view you can hike and see. So that’s really neat!eill be back to check out the other hikes. We just did the main one and drove to the top. Enjoy!

Beautiful views. Took a total of 5 hrs and the application map helped a lot with directions. Very clean trail, few points/areas were a little crowded but very friendly people.

Mountain Bikers also use this trail, some can be rude but most do not have a problem sharing the trail

did the national trail trek today, 15.5 miles.. pretty rough coming down, scenery is decent, views are better.

Varied terrain well suited to hiking and running with lots of options and great views. Not crowded at all on a Tuesday before 9am.

really nice trail...
just dont do it in summer...
lol

Nice in-town trail, very crowded. Would be great for trail running or walking a dog.

As for my first hike in foir years it was challenging. The trails are well maintained and the inclines are challenging for new hikers.

Monday, November 20, 2017

Great hike, definitely a workout 

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Great hike. Many connecting paths and intersections that allow you to moderate the difficulty.

We did run into a rattler by the power line at night. Make sure to remember the difference between the buzz of the lines and the sound of the snake!

Saturday, August 19, 2017

This was a great trail. It wasn't too hard and wasn't too easy

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Not hard

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

good running trail.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Good run.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Nice hike,,, will come again

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Very nice! A lot of variety of trails!!!! A lot of people, but so many different trails to take if you choose to get away from traffic. Lovely views!

Saturday, March 04, 2017

It was fun. My first hike in a year by myself and I enjoyed every second !

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I would say easy to moderate. More easy, less moderate. If you start on Central ave, it starts off steep but eventually flattens out after about a mile. Starting on 48th street is much easier.

Friday, February 10, 2017

nice views. pretty easy.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Beautiful views!!! Awesome trails!!!

Sunday, January 22, 2017

I liked it

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Great trails for beginners and kids, with a few moderate trails for those looking for a little challenge. I explored this trail to scout it out b4 bringing my wife and kids. Great north and west facing city views with downtown phoenix seemingly at your feet.
As a parent, im always looking for trails like these that my 5yr old can enjoy without getting too gassed, and one that i can comfortably backpack my 1yr old without too much stress on dear old dad. My family and i are planning to go back next weekend to enjoy some of the easier trails together

Saturday, January 14, 2017

when there aren't a ton of people it's a super enjoyable hike.
once you get about a mile in, at certain points, you feel like you're not close to a city. it's wonderful.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Fabulous hiking and breathtaking views!

Monday, January 09, 2017

Great place to hike! So many trails for all skill levels.