South Mountain Pyramid Trail

South Mountain Pyramid Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Smooth easy trail with gradual climb. A lot of friendly people. Nice relaxing hike, bring your dog they would enjoy it too

Many trail options. Amazing View and easy to follow trails that are easy to intense. Great place. I did over 7 miles and only scratched the surface.

I live close and do this hike at least 2 times a week. You can see all of awhatukee and even climb to the top of South mountain. Great work out for running.

This is a very nice scenic trail... Well established trail, not much rock hopping ... smooth path. But, elevation can be taxing... Go early, watch the Sunrise.

Awesome trail. Well marked and very easy to follow. The first 1.5 out is fairly gradual. The last mile or so to the summit will give your cardio a test. Lots of other hikers, runners and dog walkers. BRING WATER.

We went left when we should have gone right but 7.7 mikes later it was still a great hike. Some areas are rough on the knees but have a great time!

You can tell me that it's not a good trail but I think that it is one of the most beautiful things to see on a mountain

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Nice trail, no pyramid though. At the top where the pyramid is supposed to be, only a rubble of rocks, if you do not miss it. I missed it on the way up, so I walked all the way to the other end , Telegraph pass looking for it. Only on the way back someone told me that, the pyramid was demolished. But, great views throughout the hike. A bit of a leg workout on the way up and down.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The directions for this led us right to the trailhead which I always appreciate! The trail is marked well, but small markers so don't try to look for any big signs. The other reviews on here said it was a steady incline and they were definitely right. Bring plenty of water, especially on hot days! If you go in the summer like we did, go EARLY! Get there before sunrise, no joke. There's not much shade on the trail once the sun is high, just a few spots and they felt pretty far from each other. We hiked just over 6 miles on this trail and didn't see too many people but it was August. I'm sure it's busier when it's not 100 degrees out. Got some pretty views of the city, but it's better for a workout than trying to look for gorgeous views. Definitely enjoyed this one though!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Great. My body so soar after 7.99 miles hike. It was totally worth to push ourselves. Hubby and i made it to the top.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

This was a great, satisfying hike. Flat for the 1st mile, then a steady incline. I am somewhat out of shape, so the incline really kicked my butt, but it was totally worth it to push myself and make it to the top. Even Happy the dog was dragging by the end... He won't listen when I tell him every step doesn't have to be retraced and run twice at breakneck speed. Go before dawn; beat the rush and you'll get the shady side of the mountain, for the most part.

Friday, March 25, 2016

great hike....start early

Sunday, March 16, 2014

His is a good moderate hike. There is always ample parking at the trailhead, and aside for on fork in two, the trail is well marked. Keep right at the unmarked fork.

The trail starts relatively flat for the first mile. It had nice views of desert and wildflowers in spring. Once the trail begins to climb,it becomes more difficult.

There are a number of switch backs and steep assents as you hike to the top. Along the way, you get great views of the South Mountain, the area South of Phoenix and the east Valley. At the top, you are rewarded with fantastic views before turning around and returning.

Total hike time: 2 hours.