South Mountain Hill Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(96)
South Mountain Preserve

South Mountain Hill Loop is a 1.9 mile loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 436 feet Route Type: Loop

Million dollar real estate trail!

You get to go two the top of two hills in this short hike. I love it!

nice quick 2 mile hike with 2 hills to climb. Good for family with kids age 4+

Did not know this trail existed. Excellent to end of the work day workout especially during the era of social distancing

Really, this was the perfect hike for us. We went up two steep inclines (moderate work), had a couple nice walks along ridge lines (easy) and a nice hike back to complete the loop. My 5-year-old handled it brilliantly. My 3-year-old handled about half of it, and then I hiked with him on my back (which is why this was both a moderate and easy hike for me). Pair this hike with warpaint trail and/or any of the other nearby trails and you can make this hike longer. Stay on the trail, there is a lot of cholla.

Came here in the evening and saw a coyote in the neighborhood but started the hike anyways. About ten minutes in I heard two different groups calling to each other so I turned around since I had my young dog with me who is only about 20lbs. Probably stick to the other side of the preserve for now!

Becca’s 45 min trail run.

Fri May 24 2019

Sun Feb 03 2019

Nice east climb close to city. Lots of parking on street. Combined it with Warpaint and a few other trails to make it longer.

Sat Jan 05 2019

One of my favorite south mountain trails for a quick but moderately challenging hike with awesome views

Wed Nov 28 2018

Loved this hike. Brought my German Shepherd and he loved it. Easy to access - although we veered off the trail a bit without realizing it

Tue Apr 17 2018

Nice short hike with good views of Ahwatukee. Much more interesting than the nearby Warpaint Loop.

Mon Feb 05 2018

Very pleasant with some challenge

Sat Feb 03 2018

for a beginner hiker

Sun Jan 28 2018

I was glad to stumble upon this hike after doing the flat and easy warpaint loop. This had enough of an incline to make it seem like an actual hike. Nice views at the top.

Sat Dec 09 2017

Nice short hike with enough of an incline to get the heart rate up. Panoramic views at the top!

recorded South Mountain Hill Loop