Learn more

South Kaibab Trail to Tip Off is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,297 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The middle half from Skeleton Point - Tip Off - Skeleton Point is the best part -- trail traffic drops after most people turn around at Cedar Ridge and Skeleton Point. Took our time and finished in seven hours (three down, one resting at the Tip Off shelter, three back up)

Great trail. Did it in about 5 hours. Crampons weren’t necessary as long as you have good footwear. Trekking poles made the way back up easier on the knees.

icy

just did this hike on Friday, Feb 7th. Started out icy, but with the cleats, that worked out well. This was my first time ever hiking the Canyon and I enjoyed it every step of the way! It did take me a long time to get to Phantom Ranch but I was ok with that. Absolutely loved it! I would definitely do this hike again! I'm in Love!

great hike w my son...easier going down than up :)

icy

Luved it. Bought ice cleats (~$25) at Market Plaza in the park which I definitely recommend for the first (and last) half mile. Took me ~4.5 hours round trip and now I’m wondering if I should’ve gone further!

icy

Great hike and first time to the Canyon for my son. We hiked in Dec with a goal of making it to phantom ranch and back, but with the first 2-3 miles of snow pack to mud and a starting temp of 4 F we adjusted our goals. Trail has options including the Tonto trail to Indian gardens. Many folks on the trail even in winter including backpackers. Recommend being prepared, we had all the food and water and layers we needed to make a trail adjustment at 1pM . Head laps in case we needed to engage in night hiking. Great mojo for more hiking adventurers. Crampons (necessary) and hiking sticks were very helpful for this winter day hike

The views on this hike are hard to top. Highly challenging switch offs after Skeleton Point, I recommend hiking sticks & plenty of water. Leave early & dont rush yourself, we made a mistake of coming back late so didn’t have time for breaks. If you’re not in good hiking shape the trail mite be too much.

Such an amazing hike with views at almost every corner. We left parking at 11:15am and we’re back around 7pm. Tip off Point is not very impressive at first, but if you go north about 200 yards onto the ridge you see an amazing overlook onto Colorado River. (36.0914967, -112.0894101)

The views on this hike are amazing. Make sure to stop every once in a while to look up and down to really grasp the size of the canyon. If we could do it again we’d stop at Skeleton Point and go back up from there. There aren’t any spectacular views at Tip Off and is really just a stopping point if you’re going to the river or taking the Tonto connector. The switchbacks from Tip Off back to Skeleton are absolutely killer, worse than the last couple as you’re exiting the canyon. Everyone on the hike (especially past Cedar Point) is super nice. We went in October and the heat wasn’t that bad. We started at 7 am and it only took us 2ish hours to get down to Tip Off but took us 4 to get back up (my friend really strugggled and needed lots of breaks). Also watch out for the squirrels, they’ll climb up your leg or steal food from your pack!

This trail is well maintained and well marked. There are lots of people on the trail until skeleton point and then very few people after that. We hiked to the tip-off because we wanted a slightly longer hike without going all the way to the river. The tip-off is not a spectacular overlook but more of a large clearing for resting and camping. The hike took us 2.75 hours down and 3.25 hours up. We recommend starting early because you end up hiking uphill on switchbacks in the hottest part of the day. The most significant switchbacks are at the start and right after skeleton point. Great hike!

Just to clarify muddy from mule waste on the trail. Difficult on the way up-like everyone else is saying. Absolutely stunning views and rewarding to see how far you’ve come. This is steeper than bright angel. Exhausted but I loved it. Drank 3L of water and had protein bars, fruit snacks and salty pepperoni and seaweed.

Great views just amazing

What an incredible hike with views, views, some views, dope views, steep sections, very little shade, and towards the end, a more intimate view of the colorado river. My girlfriend and I did this in the middle of may, and it was hot as hell! we started at around 8:30-8:45 and made it down to the tip-off in just a short two hours. We actually went a little past the bathroom (which smell like ship) and found a little ridge overlooking the river to chill and have lunch. There was this squirrel bullying us for some food but we said, "No way, Mr. Squirrel! Get your own food!" The hike back up was brutal. The switchbacks were a little difficult but the piss left from the camels smelt horrible and made it much worse. It was about 95 degrees when we began our ascent, but luckily it cooled more the higher up we got. We managed to get back up in about 3.5 hours with plenty of breaks for pics and shade. The water in my camelback became so warm I could no longer drink it. I wanted to send it to the river but it was a good choice not to because we ran low on water ( we only brought a couple liters for both of us). Were both in excellent shape and would recommend this for experienced hikers only. we saw people struggling up from just the first marker which is just less than a mile from the top! Anyway, would love to go back to the grand canyon so I can go swimming in the river.

Amazing but killer hike. The views keep on getting better the further you go down. Once you pass Skeleton point, there is a series of switchbacks that are easy enough going down, but going back up are the hardest part of the hike. The views at the actual tip off are ok. It’s more of an area for a bathroom break. We started early, around 7:30 am and didn’t make it back to to the top until 5:30 or so (mostly due to me not being that in shape lol). The hike down was not that hard, maybe just 2-3 hours. But the hike back up was twice the time, and since the heat was strongest around 2 pm or so, we had to take frequent breaks in whatever kind of shade we found. Take plenty of water (we had a liter of alkaline water and (6) 16-oz bottles and it was just enough. Trekking sticks for the hike back up will be very helpful. All in all, while extremely challenging, it was worth it. But I completely understand now why it’s not recommended to complete in a day. You can be sure you will be hurting for a few days after!

This trail was full of beautiful views. We hiked all the way to Tipoff point, the last point before you reach the river. The descent was fairly easy but coming back the 4.5 miles was really tough. Worth it though. Tons of water is a necessity, even in the cooler weather of March when I went. We did the down and out in a day, but I would definitely not recommend that when it gets warmer!

Tue Mar 19 2019

Great hike. I'd suggest going further to the river. Anyhow the views are great.

There is no scale that does this hike justice [end of story]. If I were going to do it again I might go down Bright Angel and up South Kaibab. Maybe easier on the knees [ba is less steep]

Thu Feb 28 2019

Easy breezy on the way down, up is the complete opposite.

Tue Nov 20 2018

We went down to the bridge and back up. It took us from 10am to 6:30pm, but we sit behind desks all day. I would not recommend that off a whim. We are hurting. It was beautiful though and I couldn’t see doing the trails down without getting to the bridge for the view.

Mon Nov 19 2018

Gorgeous, took just over 4 hours. Calves were shredded for days afterward.

Fri Aug 03 2018

It's tempting to go this far and back up in a day hike but please note there is hardly shade and no water whatsoever on this trail. Even if you start before the sun rises, the hike back from Tip Off back to the trailhead will be extremely hot and exhausting. There is no shame in turning around at Skeleton Point or any time before you're halfway out of water to make sure you get out safely! Plus, Tip Off is mostly just a bathroom and the connection to the Tonto trail, not really too much of a "destination", per say. Still amazing though!

Wed Jun 13 2018

Dope views and opportunity to see wildflowers and wildlife. Definitely overcompensate on the water. This trail is steeper than BAT at most points and the gain/distance ratio is much more strenuous. Tip off is a really cool intimate view of the Colorado similar to Plateau Point if you've been there. Enjoy :)

recorded Recording - Feb 18, 5:22 PM