South Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point

South Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses. Horses are also able to use this trail.

1981 feet

Great hike! Was initially a little concerned based on the notice at the top that the trail was icy and crampons were recommended (since I didn’t have mine), but there was really not very much ice, and only at the top at that. Any spots with ice were still fairly easily navigable. Had my poles but ended up putting them away pretty quickly and had no issues. Agree with recent reviewer that hiking into the canyon made me appreciate it more and completely enhanced the experience.

Beautiful views of the Grand Canyon the entire hike. Hiking into the canyon helped me appreciate the canyon more. We had great weather, and there were no icy parts on the trail. Lots of switchbacks and elevation changes, but the views are worth it!

Beautiful scenery along the entire hike. Breathtaking views into the Grand Canyon. The further you hike the fewer people you see.

Loved this hike! Not as hard as we thought it would be but glad it wasn't hot. At the Skeleton Point sign, go to the left to see the Colorado River and Phantom Ranch. Great place to have lunch or a snack. The pack mules passed which was cool to see.

not understanding why this app lists cedar ridge as being a longer distance hike than this? this is about a mile past cedar ridge?
anyways, a beautiful hike. did it in under three hours. not rushed and took breaks. pace yourself.. going back up between cedar ridge and ooh aah point can be tough.

I loved the views!! it's a steep start down but worth it...if you go to Cedars Ridge you may as well go to Skeleton point as it's not a hard hike from there. just went end of November 2017 and it was cool in early am but hot by the time I got to the campground...bring layers

Just did it today!! Beautiful!!

Hiked 11/6 with warm sunny late morning descent and cloudy cool ascent early afternoon. Colors changed dramatically under cloud cover. Be sure to look for the rock with the dinosaur prints about .75mi below Ooh Ahh vista. On the left on descent.

Te veel mensen

Incredible! Hiked a little further down to Tip Off. Nice hike for an out and back in a day. Make sure you bring enough water - we drank a litre over 4 litres / 1 gallon each.

Spectacular views of the canyon! We went in July when the temperatures were over 100. It wasn't as difficult as the rangers made it out to be and urged us to cut our trip short. Next time we will venture past Skeleton Point.

Spectacular hike! Very challenging to walk 3 miles straight downhill only to know you have to return back to the top of the Canyon afterwards, but well worth the effort - fantastic views of the Colorado river once you've reached your destination. Recommend continuing two switchback beyond the point for a shady lunch site with an impressive view. Bring enough water! Then pack even more water. And plan to take your time on your way back up.

done as part of a larger hike a couple of times

Straight down and super tough climb back up

Went in August, which was HOT. It was so easy going down, but harder to get back up. Give yourself lots of time to ascend and bring more water then you think you need. I also brought lots of bite sized snacks as I burned a lot of energy going back up and had to take more breaks than I thought.

I hiked the South Kaibab Trail down to Skeleton point (and back) for my first Grand Canyon experience. It was a pretty nice workout. I carried a lot of water and snacks. The views from this trail are amazing. For a day hike, this is a little strenuous but the sights to be seen are phenomenal. The feeling, when you first catch a glimpse of the Colorado River from Skeleton point is just awesome. I would recommend having a hiking pole and having good shoes. I did the mistake of using my normal running shoes and found it a little slippery while going down.

Wow!!! Hands down the best trail I have done in my life. As written everywhere, bring plenty of water and salty food supplies to keep hydrated. I have vertigo but I got through all the cliffs with no problem, really enjoyed the amazing views.

Wonderful hike with my wife. Took us longer than expected but we stopped to take a lot of photos and eat lunch!

Great hike, nice views all the way down to skeleton point. Out and back took us about 3.5-4 hours but we stopped for photos and lunch.