South Kaibab Trail to Phantom Ranch

South Kaibab Trail to Phantom Ranch is a 13.4 mile out and back trail located near Grand Canyon Village, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful trail. Very challenging. We did it last August to phantom ranch and back up ba 2 days later. I think the moderate rating is misleading. It is very hard. The trail was in really bad shape with big puddles at the steps from the rain. Views were amazing. Bring lots of water. I drank 4 liters going down. Eat and drink lots.

We did this in reverse (PR to the top via the South Kaibab). This is the better trail as opposed to the Bright Angel. People think the BA will be easier because it's longer, which isn't true. There's just a longer walk along the bottom of the canyon to the campground/ranch area on the BA. This combined with the views on the South Kaibab make this the better trail. I'm happy we hiked down the BA just to say we did it, but whenever I come back (for a hopeful Rim to Rim to Rim trip!) I'll be doing the Kaibab only.

We ended up going down South Kaibob all the way to the river (almost to bright angel campground) in one morning, over 17 miles round trip with almost 5000 feet elevation gain total. Took us about 6 hours, but VERY physically demanding; probably the hardest day hike we've ever done. However, SO worth the views from inside the canyon; brings it to life and emphasizes the surreal size of the canyon. Amazing to be able to say we hiked from the top of the canyon all the way to the river. We went through over a gallon of water with two people, there is a place to fill up waters at the bottom after you cross the bridge.

Carry enough water and take it slow

Great hike, fantastic views. They were working on the trail, so there was a lot of rocks to help fill in some of the ruts in the trail. Make sure to bring plenty of water and snacks as you are burning a lot of calories. In my opinion, this hike is a much harder hike then Bright Angel to Observation Point. They are both wonderful trails, but if your trying to decide which one to do, this one will get you all the way to the Colorado River. Have fun and make sure to prepare.

Awesome.