Learn more

South Kaibab Trail to Ooh Aah Point

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1011)
Grand Canyon National Park

South Kaibab Trail to Ooh Aah Point is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 1.7 mi Elevation gain 682 ft Route type Out & Back

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (0)
Tips

This "halfway" point to Cedar Ridge is a beautiful hike all in its self. If you want to get away from the crowd at the top of the rim ( it can be as busy as Disneyland) but if you don't want to go on an all day hike this is a good compromise. Always bring water when hiking any distance in the Grand Canyon.

WATER ALWAYS!

Photos (1443)
Recordings (882)
Completed (3288)
Beth Acker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

The views are spectacular! Go in the morning before it gets too crowded and there is still some shade.

Kyle Langhart
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Awesome early morning hike, lots of shade in early hours

View Kyle's Recording
Jeffrey Carney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Jeffrey's Recording
Jennifer Dayle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

closed shuttle service. you can park at stables or the point. only about 10 people out there this morning. we parked at the picnic area just passed the turn off and hiked to the point.

View Jennifer's Recording
Jennifer Lincoln
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

We started out today at around 4:30am so that we could get there before the sunrise. WOW what a great spot to view it! The trail is wider than I expected and very well maintained. The views are stunning. Our 10 year old came with us too.

Marney Neil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Gorgeous and serene sunrise views! This point juts out facing east. The trailhead road is blocked off. This park has police all over so I didn’t want to chance breaking the rules. Almost immediately past the road for Yaki Point (and trailhead) is a parking lot for a picnic area. Shaded. I parked there. It was just under 1/2 mile to arrive at trailhead. I just walked on the paved roads to get there. I did start out at 4:40 for a 5:20 sunrise. I arrived just in time, *but* I was hugging the rock wall and going very slow. I also passed several elk on walk from picnic area to the trailhead. I’m not normally a hiker and don’t exercise outside of walking dogs ( not proud, just a fact). I’m a nurse that can walk ten miles a day at work. I was able to do this trail no problem. Legs burned a little bit. Had to pause and catch breath a few times on way back up, but nothing bad. Soooo, if I can do this trail, you should be fine. For a sunrise, I might have left earlier to catch a seat on a prime viewing spot. The trail was a little steep and gravely in some places and I was worried I’d slip. I’d make sure you have good tread on your shoes. Watch out for donkey poop. There aren’t any water fill stations. There are a few natural rock seats and shaded areas if needed on way back up. The sunrise was amazing! Seeing how the canyon looked so different as the sun rose higher was super cool.

Trinh Mai
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020

Beautiful and rewarding hike!!

Callie Champley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
Hiking

Went on this trail on 7/8 and loved it! We parked at the Pipe Creek Vista lookout, but we could’ve parked right at the trailhead. Don’t let the block off on the road that says shuttle bus only because the busses aren’t running right now and there were plenty of people parking there! As far as the trail goes, it took us about 2 hours from pipe creek to around a quarter mile past Ooh Ahh Point. The hike back up was a killer, but it was mostly shaded and had a nice breeze. Definitely get an early start, we started at 8 and were among just a few people there

Aroura Jackson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingNo shade

Good for a nice, Short hike!

Dennis Nodine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
Hiking

Nice trail going both up and down. Rocky and only slightly crowded. No dogs allowed. Down and back in 1.5 hours.

View Dennis's Recording
chuck kranz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020

Hot , but great views,

Daniel Heidtke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 18, 2020
Hiking

Very intimidating signs at the start of the trail but went way better than expected. We continued down past cedar ridge during mid afternoon. Pack plenty of water, excellent views

Sherri Vesely
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020

Beautiful view! Well maintained. Lots of mule dung which was nothing new as we hiked the bright angel trail yesterday. Start early to avoid the sun. We started at 515am and had no problems with the heat or sun as we climbed back up. If you aren’t used to the altitude, take the last .3 mile slow & and you will be just fine.

Yve M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

I recommend starting early. Going down is easy and the views are beautiful. Make sure you take plenty of water. I needed multiple breaks going back up. I’m glad we finished right when it was starting to get hot. Right now that the shuttles are not operating we started from Mather Point because the map said no parking allowed but there is! It was nice for us to get those extra miles in but park at the trailhead to save time and energy.

Dimi Mag

fantastic trail. did it with 10yr and 9yr olds.

Aaron Young
Hiking

This is a great early morning hike, especially if you can get down below the rim before sunrise. The shuttles weren’t running when I was there, so had to park at the visitor center and hike the rim a couple of extra miles each way, which ended up being a great warmup and warm down to the hike. Getting below the rim offers a completely different perspective of the Canyon.

Katelyn Moreno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 7, 2020
HikingNo shade

This was our first trip to the Grand Canyon and this is the hike we did with our 21 month old on my husbands back. We went on a day with complete cloud coverage and had a good time. The views don’t really change on this hike because it’s not very long, but it’s still beautiful nonetheless! I’m 13 weeks pregnant and was able to do it and I’ve been a couch potato for the last month if that helps anyone considering if they can do it or not. Definitely doable, but I would have died if it had been sunny on the way back up. There were stinky mule droppings on the trail so I gave it 4 stars for that.

G Bern H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2020
Hiking

Great hike but just add another half mile to your hike and go to Cedar Ridge. It's only 0.6 of a mile further down the trail but it's totally worth it. The trail is very well maintained. Do the trail early in the morning so you'll have some shade as you go back up. Bring plenty of water.

Angie L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020

Different views from every side at Ooh Aah Point. Next time we plan to go on to Cedar Ridge (this is the halfway point). Switchbacks and loose rocks, so take your hiking shoes!

Adam Tat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 23, 2020
HikingRocky

Awesome trail to an awesome view inside the canyon. So worth it.

View Adam's Recording
Kelly A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
Hiking

This is appropriately named and is also a great place to watch the sunrise. Take the 4:00 a.m. shuttle in get out dark and early. A gorgeous sunrise in the Grand Canyon is like nothing you've ever seen.

A Kessler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 18, 2020
Hiking

forgot to turn off recording before driving away

View A's Recording
Brittnee Kiner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 15, 2020
HikingMuddy

Awesome trail! Easy going down but be aware of the hike back up as it is very steep and not super forgiving. Take lots of breaks & take in the view of course!

View Brittnee's Recording
Jason Jones
Hiking

Has to be the best hike here!

View Jason's Recording
Ines L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 12, 2020
HikingMuddyNo shadeRocky
View Ines's Recording
Maria Rohr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 10, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Maria's Recording
Adelle Hice
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 8, 2020
HikingBugs
View Adelle's Recording
Virginie Ferragne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 5, 2020

Très belle randonnée!