South Kaibab Trail to Ooh Aah Point

South Kaibab Trail to Ooh Aah Point is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 692 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This "halfway" point to Cedar Ridge is a beautiful hike all in its self. If you want to get away from the crowd at the top of the rim ( it can be as busy as Disneyland) but if you don't want to go on a all day hike this is a good compromise. Always bring water when hiking any distance in the Grand Canyon.

This is super super nice trail. We got to the Grand Canyon very late around 5pm. We spent 2 hours in the trail back and forth. It’s easy, short but just lots of height gain when you going back. The end point is amazing, cannot describe. This trail is good for all day I think. From the beginning, you are facing the east but the last half is facing the west! So you got all the look of Grand Canyon. Highly recommended. Bring little water is enough:) I will do it again!

First canyon hike I have done so it was quite different going down first and then up. There were a lot of great vantage points for pictures and views. The incline going up is pretty steady so you won’t over exert yourself by going up and down inclinations. The hike has logs and stone crossing it for most of the hike so you won’t slide. Beautiful panoramic view at the end of Cedar Ridge.

Leave either early or late but avoid mid-day , summer heat and take plenty of water. You can’t beat the views.

This is where most of the tourists stop. Nice views. The switchbacks at the start and coming back up seemed to slow non-hikers down. If you are a hiker, they aren’t that bad(and that was after going to Skeleton Point). You can go to farther for better views but please have a camelback and don’t be wearing flip flops. The next lookout has a restroom.

Really pretty, well-maintained short trail. Took me about an hour with stops at the “Ooh Ahh” point and a couple of breaks on the way up for photos. Bits of shade were very nice and the view is incredible. If you’re looking for an easy hike and want the views, check this one out.

Short but amazing hike! Views of the south rim are amazing and breathtaking. Went in late May and had great weather. The trial is well maintained and has steps along the way. The trek back up to the top might be slightly difficult for less experienced.

The walk up is strenuous but short, great view as expected

Besides the fact that the Grand Canyon is amazing within itself, this trail was a great add-on. Amazing views all the way down and once you get to the overlook points it’s even better. Great photo spot. Definitely cardio on the way back up!

Went in mid May and was the first one out. I was nervous about conditions since this was my first time to the Grand Canyon and it had rained/snowed the day before. There was light snow covering across the rim, but the trail itself turned out to be fine. The iciest spot was right at the trailhead, and it wasn't really slippery. I took the first hiker express shuttle at 5am and was the only one on it. Had the trail all to myself and enjoyed the viewpoint alone for 10-15 minutes before someone else showed up. Best view I've ever seen, but the sun was really cooperating with me on that one.

Easy and short, but busy trail leading to a nice viewpoint. The mules walk this trail so there was a lot of poo and it did smell even on a nice cool day. Kind of gnarly to be sucking air climbing switchback and taste Mule crap lol. Worst part of the trail was the smell from the mules. Not my favorite of the park as it is crowded. Fun easy trek though! You can go farther down as well past the point if you wanted to.

Amazing hike! I went with someone afraid of heights, and she managed, but don’t get me wrong it is still trying for those that are afraid. We considered going further but turned back because of rain. Would definitely recommend!

This is a great hike with beautiful views! In our late 20’s, we are not avid hikers nor are we used to the altitude, and the trek went pretty smooth! Just stop as you need on your way back up to catch your breath and snap some photos. There’s plenty of opportunities to do so. We definitely would have went further if we had given ourselves the time!

Beautiful hike, easy going down, a little harder going up but doable within an hour or two

The hike gets harder as you go. Can be a bit crowded of a trip, especially if the burrows are out and about. Stretch those calves before heading down. Plenty of spots to pull off to the side if you get tired.

We stopped here on our way to Cedar Ridge. If you are tired at Ooh Aah Point, turn around and head back. If you have more energy and water to spare definitely keep going the views get better as you head towards Cedar Ridge. We did not bring our H2O backpacks on this trip and we regret it. If you think you have enough water, pack more!

Great trail for kids 8 and over if they are dependable and well behaved.

Went down and back on 4/5/19. Perfect weather! Trail was dry. Nice little down and back to get you off the rim. Views were awesome!

Great trail! Amazing views! Steep but well worth it. The mule trains can be annoying but they serve a purpose.

Muddy at the start. I had my 12 & 13 year old kids with me. My daughter has a fear of heights so this was not ideal for her. However with lots of hand holding we made it to Ooh Aah point. So worth it.

Loved it! Went 3/22/19 around 3:30pm and it was cold, super muddy, but therefore not crowded and perfect. Takes only 1-1.5 hours depending on how fast/how many stops for pictures. 9 switch backs wasn’t too bad, but it was also shaded and cold when I went. Definitely recommend!

We hiked the trail the second week of February. We got lucky with a beautiful, sunny day. There was snow and a few slick spots at the top in the shaded areas and mud further down. It took us less than 1.5 hrs with stopping a few times to take in views and we spent a good 15-20 at Ooh Ahh point. Views are 100% worth the hike! Highly recommend.

Awesome short hike! Took just over an hour with a little snack break halfway. Was happy we wore spikes. Really helped on the way back up.

Completed in right under 2 hours on 2/7/2019 with a 3 year old(he’s a beast). 30ish minutes down(kid in pack), 20-30 minutes for pics and recharge, 1 hour back up at my sons pace. Micro spikes highly recommended this time of year, thick hard pack can get slick as it melts and freezes. VERY obtainable for all skill/fitness levels. Just take your time.

I didn’t have micro spikes otherwise I would have completed this hike. I went last week and it was very icy and steep. I was only able to get halfway down before I decided to turn around. Bring micro spikes and you’ll be fine :-) Started but didn’t complete 01/2019.