South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge

South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

The South Kaibab Trail begins south of Yaki Point on Yaki Point Road. Day hike to the mule hitching post at Cedar Ridge is 3 miles (round trip). Best views for a relatively short hike. Steep trail, no water, little shade. Water available seasonally at the trailhead. Upper portion of the trail may be extremely icy in winter or early spring and in summer months watch out for thunderstorms. This is the only trail at Grand Canyon National Park that holds true to a ridgeline descent. This trail is also the quickest way to the bottom. The trail begins with a series of tight switchbacks. After these initial switchbacks, the trail traverses below Yaki Point to Ooh Ah Point (the first panoramic view of the canyon). From Ooh Ah Point on, the trail follows the top of a ridgeline and is consequently without shade. Several broad and steeply plunging switchbacks later, hikers reach Cedar Ridge. The South Kaibab Trail was constructed to bypass Ralph Cameron's Bright Angel Trail. Cameron, who owned the Bright Angel Trail and charged a toll to those using it, fought dozens of legal battles over several decades to maintain his personal business rights. These legal battles inspired the Santa Fe Railroad to build its own alternative trail, the Hermit Trail, beginning in 1911 before the National Park Service went on to build the South Kaibab Trail beginning in 1924. In this way, Cameron inadvertently contributed to the greater network of trails currently available for use by canyon visitors.

This hike is amazing!! Start early! We started at 630/645am and had shade going down pretty much the whole way. I am an active person but don't have much experience with hiking like this. I brought 3 pints of water, 2 large gatorades, and 3 cliff bars and had enough to get down and back up. Take lots of breaks to catch your break and soak up the scenery. The views and the quality of pictures I got are awesome! The hike up was difficult but very manageable. When going down, watch your step as not to slip on a loose rock or gravel. Around 930 we finished the hike and it was starting to get pretty busy on the trail. For me, it was a life changing hike and I now want to get more into hiking.

Loved this trail. Very steep and challenging at times but well worth it. Bring lots of water. I went though 64oz. We headed out at 5:20 and made it back to the top at 7:15. I highly suggest good shoes and a hiking stick for this trip. I found going up was easier than I expected (although still tough) and going down harder than I expected. Go early to get as much shade as possible.

We did this with kids ranging from 7 to 11. The hike up is hard. Take your time. But the scenery is beautiful.

3 points for scenery. 0 points for hike bc I slipped on the gravel and broke my leg. 2 points because the amazing volunteer park rangers hurried to me and carried me back up the rough switchbacks and were just amazing people. 5/5 wouldn't want to break my leg anywhere else.

Be careful out there, especially on the gravel. Take it slow and wear supportive shoes with a good sole. Bring PLENTY of water in case you get hurt and need to wait for help. Bring hiking poles.

Took us about 3 hours but could've been done in less time. We took plenty of pictures and just stopped to look around and rest whenever we felt like it. A little more tiring on the way back up especially with the change in altitude but not too strenuous especially if you're a hiker, going down was sometimes hard on the legs. Follow the instructions the rangers distribute and take your time and it will be ok. Definitely a must especially if you're there only for the day.