South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge

South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

The South Kaibab Trail begins south of Yaki Point on Yaki Point Road. Day hike to the mule hitching post at Cedar Ridge is 3 miles (round trip). Best views for a relatively short hike. Steep trail, no water, little shade. Water available seasonally at the trailhead. Upper portion of the trail may be extremely icy in winter or early spring and in summer months watch out for thunderstorms. This is the only trail at Grand Canyon National Park that holds true to a ridgeline descent. This trail is also the quickest way to the bottom. The trail begins with a series of tight switchbacks. After these initial switchbacks, the trail traverses below Yaki Point to Ooh Ah Point (the first panoramic view of the canyon). From Ooh Ah Point on, the trail follows the top of a ridgeline and is consequently without shade. Several broad and steeply plunging switchbacks later, hikers reach Cedar Ridge. The South Kaibab Trail was constructed to bypass Ralph Cameron's Bright Angel Trail. Cameron, who owned the Bright Angel Trail and charged a toll to those using it, fought dozens of legal battles over several decades to maintain his personal business rights. These legal battles inspired the Santa Fe Railroad to build its own alternative trail, the Hermit Trail, beginning in 1911 before the National Park Service went on to build the South Kaibab Trail beginning in 1924. In this way, Cameron inadvertently contributed to the greater network of trails currently available for use by canyon visitors.

Bring water. Great scenery and the farther you go, the less people you see.

One of the nicest trails we have been on . I would consider it an easy trail for me . However, i enjoy a good challenge cardio wise up hill.

What an absolute blast! The trail is well maintained and wide. Talk about spectacular views! I highly recommend for avid and intense hikers!

Breath-taking views, the dissent is pleasant, however the return up is pretty strenuous.

Amazing views. Start early (6am) in August and bring water.

Great hike!!! If you want to challenge yourself further, go down to Skeleton Point and back, it should take an extra 2 hours.

Gorgeous views and a nice cardio if pick up your pace. There are a lot of mules that pass through here, so the steps are sunken in and there is poo every now & again.
There's no way I'd recommend this trail during peak season or a weekend - too many people would make for an annoying hike.

Very nice walk. Just be careful of all the horse or donky shit everywhere.. And that stuff stinks (when your hot, and gasping for air none the less). -1 star for that.. Otherwise beautiful. Great 2.5h round trip for us.

Awesome hike with magnificent views. We took this trail and then beyond out to skeleton point. Trail is well maintained. Bring lots of water and your camera because the views are stunning!

Walked at Ooh Aah Point yesterday.
The tail requires that you watch where you step or trip. The sights are magnificent. The way down was pretty easy if you kept your footing. Ooh Aah Point is a beautiful stop to take pictures. I saw little kids there (6 or 7 yr olds), so if you take your children just keep an eye out in case they go near the edge. There are no guard rails. Also beware that squirrels are not afraid to raid unguarded backpacks. The way back up was more strenuous and took about twice as long as walking down. Be sure to take plenty of food, water, suncreen, and a hat that won't fly off your head with the wind. I definitely recommend this trail, and I would totally go again.

This was an awesome hike! Going down is not hard. But goin up, was hard, so we would stop after every other switch back. My wife (46 yrs old), my daughter (16 yrs old) and my son (14 yrs old) are all in good physical shape. I am a 212 lb 5’9’ 48 yr old. However I do regularly walk at fast speeds. Cant imagine anyone not in shape doing it. Theyd be better off turning back at Ooh Ah point (1.8 miles down). Many different view points and was not crowded. Thus this was a great hike!

Its really hard coming back up from the point you won't feel that when you going down. unfortunately i did this trail in sept when it was really hot so if you are planning it in that time it will make it more harder but not really hard if you used to do hiking. but yeah stay hydrated keep more water with you.

The views!

Really cool trail with lots of beautiful sights, we went a little past cedar ridge and stopped at a little flat area on the way to skeleton point. Took us from 9:45 to 1PM round trip about an hour 15 back up. Don’t over estimate yourself as coming back up was really tough

Oustanding trail with BREATH TAKING views. Very easy descending the trail and difficulty going back up the trail. Took 1 hour to get down but 2 hours to go back up from cedar ridge. The trail is narrow so don't slip! Mule riders share this trail so make sure to stay to the side out of their way so they can pass. I loved this trail and could stay there all day.

I think it had the best views in the canyon. get a good sense of how wide everything is. not as many people on this trail compared to bright angels, do opportunities for solitude if you want.

My wife and I hiked it yesterday morning. A rare and beautiful 55 degrees. It was an awesome hike with fantastic views the entire way up and down!

Matt, Maria and I did South Kaibab to Ooh Ahh Pt. Maria and I on a later day went to Cedar Ridge. Thin trails, with no railing, can be intimidating but beautiful views of the Canyon

My daughter and I did this hike today and we both agree it was moderate in difficulty, crowded, and worth every step. We started at 11:00 AM and did the round trip in about five hours. Views are stunning, but be prepared for lots of direct sun. Take your time coming up and remember to enjoy one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Cooler on the rim. Not unreasonably hot below. Four litres of water between the two of us and we had enough energy when we finished to walk the 2.3 miles on the paved path back to the visitor center.

Incredible views. Being plenty of water and start early.

This is a hike of a lifetime, the landscape and vistas are stunning. The trial is rugged so wear a good pair of boots. Rangers on the trail stopped hikers and inquired if they had adequate water. There is no water tap on the trail. I found it challenging in the midday sun but not hard. I would recommend going beyond Cedar to Skeleton Point, it’s only another 40 minutes. If you enjoy hiking and are in the vicinity, don’t miss this trail.

Beautiful hike with a great view

Fantastic day hike. Go early to beat the traffic and enjoy more shade.

We hit the trail about 4:30 am hiking down in the dark with headlamps. There were a few cars already where we parked and a few showed up shortly after us. Our goal was Ooh Aah Point by sunrise which we made easily. We hiked down to Cedar Ridge and enjoyed the scenery there for an hour or so before hiking back up. Because of our early start we didn’t encounter too much direct sun or heat, it was a very comfortable hike.

If nothing else- go to Ooh Aah point. Beautiful. First bit of the trail is covered in donkey poo.

If you are considering doing a hike at the Grand Canyon, please at least hike to oh, ah point! It is incredible, and you will feel such a sense of accomplishment upon completion!

We hiked this with our 5 kids ages 5-13. We went cedar ridge ate a snack, walked all the way out to the point,and hiked back up in just under 2 hours. Our family hikes a lot though, and our youngest can easily hike 7 miles. We regret not doubling our hike and going down to skeleton point. But you just never know how difficult it will be for your family until you try it! Every person had their own camel-bak of water packed with snacks. I think that is a MUST.

Awesome hike so we took it further to Skeleton Point. Took 2 hrs down and 3 hours to go back up. It was very hot that day. Drank 3L of water.

Excellent views at every step of the way!

Amazing! Definitely a “bucket list” thing! It was a hard hike out, fairly easy down though.

Was an Amazing experience, the views Breathtaking want to go back and hike to the Colorado River