South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge

South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

The South Kaibab Trail begins south of Yaki Point on Yaki Point Road. Day hike to the mule hitching post at Cedar Ridge is 3 miles (round trip). Best views for a relatively short hike. Steep trail, no water, little shade. Water available seasonally at the trailhead. Upper portion of the trail may be extremely icy in winter or early spring and in summer months watch out for thunderstorms. This is the only trail at Grand Canyon National Park that holds true to a ridgeline descent. This trail is also the quickest way to the bottom. The trail begins with a series of tight switchbacks. After these initial switchbacks, the trail traverses below Yaki Point to Ooh Ah Point (the first panoramic view of the canyon). From Ooh Ah Point on, the trail follows the top of a ridgeline and is consequently without shade. Several broad and steeply plunging switchbacks later, hikers reach Cedar Ridge. The South Kaibab Trail was constructed to bypass Ralph Cameron's Bright Angel Trail. Cameron, who owned the Bright Angel Trail and charged a toll to those using it, fought dozens of legal battles over several decades to maintain his personal business rights. These legal battles inspired the Santa Fe Railroad to build its own alternative trail, the Hermit Trail, beginning in 1911 before the National Park Service went on to build the South Kaibab Trail beginning in 1924. In this way, Cameron inadvertently contributed to the greater network of trails currently available for use by canyon visitors.

This was an awesome hike! Not too hard. 3 miles down were great. 3 miles up, was hard, but we would stop after every other switch back. My wife (46 yrs old), my daughter (16 yrs old) and my son (14 yrs old) are all in good physical shape. I am a 212 lb 5’9’ 48 yr old. However I do regularly walk at fast speeds. Cant imagine anyone not in shape doing it. Theyd be better off turning back at Ooh Ah point (1.8 miles down). Many different view points and was not crowded. Thus this was a great hike!

Its really hard coming back up from the point you won't feel that when you going down. unfortunately i did this trail in sept when it was really hot so if you are planning it in that time it will make it more harder but not really hard if you used to do hiking. but yeah stay hydrated keep more water with you.

The views!

Really cool trail with lots of beautiful sights, we went a little past cedar ridge and stopped at a little flat area on the way to skeleton point. Took us from 9:45 to 1PM round trip about an hour 15 back up. Don’t over estimate yourself as coming back up was really tough

Oustanding trail with BREATH TAKING views. Very easy descending the trail and difficulty going back up the trail. Took 1 hour to get down but 2 hours to go back up from cedar ridge. The trail is narrow so don't slip! Mule riders share this trail so make sure to stay to the side out of their way so they can pass. I loved this trail and could stay there all day.

I think it had the best views in the canyon. get a good sense of how wide everything is. not as many people on this trail compared to bright angels, do opportunities for solitude if you want.

My wife and I hiked it yesterday morning. A rare and beautiful 55 degrees. It was an awesome hike with fantastic views the entire way up and down!

Matt, Maria and I did South Kaibab to Ooh Ahh Pt. Maria and I on a later day went to Cedar Ridge. Thin trails, with no railing, can be intimidating but beautiful views of the Canyon

My daughter and I did this hike today and we both agree it was moderate in difficulty, crowded, and worth every step. We started at 11:00 AM and did the round trip in about five hours. Views are stunning, but be prepared for lots of direct sun. Take your time coming up and remember to enjoy one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Cooler on the rim. Not unreasonably hot below. Four litres of water between the two of us and we had enough energy when we finished to walk the 2.3 miles on the paved path back to the visitor center.

Incredible views. Being plenty of water and start early.

This is a hike of a lifetime, the landscape and vistas are stunning. The trial is rugged so wear a good pair of boots. Rangers on the trail stopped hikers and inquired if they had adequate water. There is no water tap on the trail. I found it challenging in the midday sun but not hard. I would recommend going beyond Cedar to Skeleton Point, it’s only another 40 minutes. If you enjoy hiking and are in the vicinity, don’t miss this trail.

Beautiful hike with a great view

Fantastic day hike. Go early to beat the traffic and enjoy more shade.

We hit the trail about 4:30 am hiking down in the dark with headlamps. There were a few cars already where we parked and a few showed up shortly after us. Our goal was Ooh Aah Point by sunrise which we made easily. We hiked down to Cedar Ridge and enjoyed the scenery there for an hour or so before hiking back up. Because of our early start we didn’t encounter too much direct sun or heat, it was a very comfortable hike.

If nothing else- go to Ooh Aah point. Beautiful. First bit of the trail is covered in donkey poo.

If you are considering doing a hike at the Grand Canyon, please at least hike to oh, ah point! It is incredible, and you will feel such a sense of accomplishment upon completion!

We hiked this with our 5 kids ages 5-13. We went cedar ridge ate a snack, walked all the way out to the point,and hiked back up in just under 2 hours. Our family hikes a lot though, and our youngest can easily hike 7 miles. We regret not doubling our hike and going down to skeleton point. But you just never know how difficult it will be for your family until you try it! Every person had their own camel-bak of water packed with snacks. I think that is a MUST.

Awesome hike so we took it further to Skeleton Point. Took 2 hrs down and 3 hours to go back up. It was very hot that day. Drank 3L of water.

Excellent views at every step of the way!

Amazing! Definitely a “bucket list” thing! It was a hard hike out, fairly easy down though.

Was an Amazing experience, the views Breathtaking want to go back and hike to the Colorado River

Magnificent views and easier than I expected. There are some steep sections, but the trail is well maintained and never less than 4 feet wide.
Be sure to hike to the vantage point at Cedar Ridge.

This map actually takes you to Skeleton Point but there are two stops before that. Ooh Ah point is about 1 mike in. Great viewpoint! Next is Cedar Creek and from there Skeleton Point. This trail is ALL incline from the start. . Definitely a strenuous hike but we enjoyed it a lot! No snow anymore. If you have poles, bring them along with sunscreen, snacks, and plenty of water! Try to start early to mid morning.

Including resting and taking pictures, we made it to Cedar Creek and back in about 2.5 hours. Go the pace that works for you!

Very steep going down to the Colorado river.
Great views. Glad we were going down to spend the night. Did Bright Angels trail next day.

Not for the weak of heart. Lots of tourists taking kids down, not very kid friendly. The way down is deceptively easy as the route back up is much more challenging mid-day. But the views were unbeatable and an experience to remember.

I think this is the best hike on the South Rim (better than Bright Angel) due to the diversification of the views. It gets pretty crowded on the trail up until Cedar Ridge. The portion of the trail to Skeleton Point has less people. I think Cedar Ridge has a better view and better photo opportunities than Ooh Ahh Point. I went all the way to Skeleton Point (about 1.5 miles away from Cedar Ridge). The hike took about 4.5 hours (that is including some breaks). Going down the trail is easy. Going back up is definitely steep and will take 2x longer than when you were going down. I would bring a bandana to cover your mouth and nose for this trail. There is a portion that is a bit sandy/dusty and you don’t want to be inhaling dust while hiking.

What a great trail! We did it with a 8-year old. It was tough for her, especially towards the end, but worth every step. The views are absolutely breathtaking! It took us 5 hours in total, including 30 min at the Skeleton Point: 2 hours down and 3 hours back up.

awesome trail! what does down must come up yes in this case its cery true. worth it though. the hike was a little stenuous but I love me some breaks made it back up in a 1 45 min not to shabby. you can see the colorado river from skeleton point.

Stunning hike!

Trail was carved out of a cliff side, and that alone is worth seeing. Some serious trail building work went into this one!

The river is visible at skeleton point if you walk to the left on the ridge at the end.

I’m guessing less than 20% of those on the trail actually went as far as skeleton point, but well worth it!

The views are amazing and much of the trail is well-maintained. Ooh-aah point is fairly crowded with people taking photos. O'neil Butte is an awesome landmark to stop at and just marvel at the canyon. The hike up is steep so save some energy for the return trip. March 22nd trail was mostly dry and no crampons needed.

This was my favorite trail at South Rim—gorgeous views at every step. Cedar Ridge was a perfect spot to reenergize before the trek back up. There are bathrooms at Cedar Ridge. The hike back up is tough—I needed some breaks and consider myself to be in good shape—but the experience is well-worth it.