South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch to Bright Angel Trail

South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch to Bright Angel Trail is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Grand Canyon Village, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

It's the Grand Canyon just breath taking

Most amazing experience ! Great trails. We went in May and got snow blizzard, rain, wind , hail and extreme heat. Trails can get slippery. Watch out for rabid squirrels. We stayed in phantom ranch for 2 amazing nights. Can't wait to do this hike again!

Grueling but worth every vista. First day down South Kaibab there is no shade after you leave the shadow of the Canyon at the start of the trip. Getting to Bright Angel Campground was dope tho cause they had a large cold creek that you could lay in and play about. Get there early to find a spot in the shade right on the creek. Second day hike you start the uphill battle to Indian Garden Campgrounds. Plenty of shade there, lots of Mule Deer and lizards. Creek is small but if you get there early enough you can cut out a private little spot for yourself. Last day on Bright Angel is gonna be tough, the elevation change is significant and you'll pass all these chipper hikers coming down saying hi. start your hikes before sunrise each morning to beat out the excruciating summer weather.

This is one of the best hike I have ever done. We did this on 7/14 and 7/15. The temperature was around 106 and the creek was helpful. The Phantom Ranch was fun and the BEER. (Though it was budweiser, but it was the best beer ;))

We started back our hike at 1:40 am in the morning and we were at the top by 10:00. The last 2-2.5 hours was difficult because of the sun and the elevation gain. But this is a must do hike to check if off the bucket list.

It was the hottest day so far when I was down there at phantom ranch. Park Ranger told me is was 104 in the shade. Phantom ranch was fun to stay at and the evening Ranger Talks are interesting. When we started up bright angle trail at 4:30am it was already 80 degrees out. I wouldn't suggest doing this one in June unless you are adapted to the desert climate. We saw 4 different cases of heat stroke that rangers where dealing with on the trails.

I hiked down in Sunday, May 28, left at 6:30am and got to Phantom Ranch at 9:15am. Beautiful views going down the S Kaibab Trail, very sunny, no shade, warm at the bottom, of course. I had a bunk at Phantom Ranch, so spent the hot of mid-day along Bright Angel creek relaxing, reading a book and alternately sticking my legs in the creek to keep cool. Got up early Monday and started at 4:45am and went up the Bright Angel Trail, stayed in the shade for the first 6+miles which was great since it's very warm at the bottom of the Canyon despite the early start. I hike fast and only stopped for a 5 min break, so made great time at 4 hrs 6 min. Definitely could have done this as a day hike, but glad I spent some time at the bottom instead of just rushing thru.

What can I say....just do it! Bucket item list for sure. We went in mid-March. There was still a bit of ice near the trail in the morning when we started. When we hit the river that afternoon, it was about 80. Perfect time to go!

This is a fabulous day hike if you're in shape and able to do it. It is a unique experience hiking in 40 degree weather at the top and 90 degree weather at the bottom, and having to hike down to start and up to finish. There are not many hikes in the world this long where you can do that.

I still prefer hiking in the mountains at higher elevation, but this hike was enjoyable. It is definitely the best hike easily accessible from the Grand Canyon shuttle system.

Amazing trail.
Parked at Backcountry lot around 5:50am and jumped on the Hikers' Express Shuttle at 6:10. Arrived at South Kaibab Trailhead by 6:30. Took about 3 hours to get to Phantom Ranch. Crossed over the Colorado again via Bright Angel Trail. Took breaks at River Resthouse, Indian Gardens, and 3 mi Resthouse. Made it to the rim at 3:50. Total time = 9h20m (~8h hiking, 1h20m breaks)

Phantom Ranch and Bright Angel Trail have plenty of water, didn't need more than my 3L camelback.

This took me 10.5 hours! But I did it at a leisurely pace, stopping a lot. Was delightfully sparse of ppl until the top of BA. Took the 4:30am bus from the visitor center, but I could have gotten on the next one because I was waiting for while at ooh ahh point for the sun to come up (told 5:29 by the bus driver) and it was cold (36F). I kind of agree with CM about doing south kaibab both ways, if I did it again that's what I'd do. Both because of the traffic on BA and honestly its the same view all the way down/up whereas SK has a lot more variety and direction change. It just sucks because no water on the trail, but it's still doable imo.

Hiked S. Kaibab to Bright Angel trail. 17.68miles in 7:17mins. Good hike but would have been much better if we could have camped. So limited in this area makes it hard to get a spot.