South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch to Bright Angel Trail

South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch to Bright Angel Trail is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Grand Canyon Village, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

It's the Grand Canyon just breath taking

Did up and down South Kaibab over two days, camping overnight at Phantom Ranch for a total of 19.6 miles RT. Most challenging hike I've ever done (still, even four years later) but completely amazing. Started before sunrise both days to try and beat the heat, and ordered the family style dinner at Phantom Ranch for the night at the bottom. As everyone else says, just prepare for the heat and for the fact that between Indian Garden (halfway down the canyon) and the bottom, there is no water available to refill. It's extremely challenging and in the summer it can get to 120 degrees F at the bottom of the canyon, so be prepared. We also had a rattlesnake at our camping site at the bottom along with fire ants, so come as prepared as possible.

Views are SPECTACULAR and doing this feels like an amazing accomplishment!

Randonnée faite 5 fois.
La remontée est dure et nécessite de l'entrainement.
Mais une randonnée qui n'apporte que du plaisir.

It's a long and tough hike, but it's great! Here is a trip report for the hike: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com/trip-reports/grand-canyon-hiking/

Bring more water than you would expect!!!

We hiked down S. Kaibab, spent the night at Bright Angel Camp, and hiked back up via Bright Angel trail. The views are great especially during sunrise and sunset. Unfortunately, a person in our group suffered from dehydration along the way and our intended one night trip turned into two nights. This hike is not easy, be prepared! Also if you decide to hike all the way to Phantom Ranch bring money. They have food, drinks, and souvenirs for sale.

Did this hike 7/13 down S. Kaibab with friend and my kids (22,20). Amazing hike and one I'll not forget. Views were awesome but was hot. By the time we made it down at 10:30am. I think it was already over 100. We stayed at phantom ranch and started back up 5:30am after breakfast. If I had to do it over again, I would start at least a couple of hours earlier. It was tough going back up. Took 8 hours with some rests. I looked at the views a lot less going up because I was so tired. Definitely appreciated the shade on the bright angel trail. I could barely walk the rest of the day but worth it!

This hike is beautiful and the views are breathtaking especially along the South Kaibab trail. It is brutally hot in July. The temp at the river was 102. I was prepared and I live where it is regularly over 100 in the summer. Add the heat to tired legs from going downhill for 7 straight miles and this isn't for the faint at heart. I've done half-dome several times and this was a little tougher for me. Totally worth it just be prepared to climb in the heat.

did this back in may and it was an epic hike where you're surrounded by surreal beauty 360 degrees all around you. my plan was to descend south kaibab to tonto trail west to ascend via bright angel. ended up venturing too far all the way down to kaibab suspension bridge. short on time so filled up on water at bright angel campground to ascend the ~5,000' elevation over ~6 miles back up south kaibab. not recommended to do in a day but if you're going to, start super duper early (orange shuttle to yaki point). i wouldn't have been able to do this hike without my trekking poles and electrolyte tablets. i couldn't walk right for three days after, lol.

A must do if visiting the south rim. And yes, it can be done in one day if you plan. The warnings against this are legitimate and should be considered. I caught the 4am shuttle from the lodge and was on the trail by 4:45. 50 degrees at the rim, 105 degrees at Phantom Ranch, and around 90 degrees by the time I finished. Took me 7:29 total time with about 45 minutes worth of breaks. It was about as hard as a marathon, so if you can run a marathon in 90 degrees, then you can do this. Otherwise, spend the night at the bottom and enjoy the views. The morning sunrise on the S. Kaibab trail was stunning!

Spectacular hike-gorgeous views. Hiked after storm so top of trail pretty muddy. Trail very clear and easy to follow. A must see in the Grand

Most amazing experience ! Great trails. We went in May and got snow blizzard, rain, wind , hail and extreme heat. Trails can get slippery. Watch out for rabid squirrels. We stayed in phantom ranch for 2 amazing nights. Can't wait to do this hike again!

Grueling but worth every vista. First day down South Kaibab there is no shade after you leave the shadow of the Canyon at the start of the trip. Getting to Bright Angel Campground was dope tho cause they had a large cold creek that you could lay in and play about. Get there early to find a spot in the shade right on the creek. Second day hike you start the uphill battle to Indian Garden Campgrounds. Plenty of shade there, lots of Mule Deer and lizards. Creek is small but if you get there early enough you can cut out a private little spot for yourself. Last day on Bright Angel is gonna be tough, the elevation change is significant and you'll pass all these chipper hikers coming down saying hi. start your hikes before sunrise each morning to beat out the excruciating summer weather.

This is one of the best hike I have ever done. We did this on 7/14 and 7/15. The temperature was around 106 and the creek was helpful. The Phantom Ranch was fun and the BEER. (Though it was budweiser, but it was the best beer ;))

We started back our hike at 1:40 am in the morning and we were at the top by 10:00. The last 2-2.5 hours was difficult because of the sun and the elevation gain. But this is a must do hike to check if off the bucket list.