South Fork Trail #243

South Fork Trail #243 is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Portal, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Saw a very rare bird - the Elegant Trogon...so beautiful. Popular Birder trail. 2 miles in beautiful small waterfall with large boulders all around. Would rate as moderate and walking sticks very helpful.

My dog Alexis and I had a great hike! She loved all the water! A very nice hike. The water crossings were low and easy. A very relaxing day. I can't wait to go again!

I would not rate this trail as easy. I hiked it on 2/17/17. There are 6 relatively challenging creek crossings in 2 miles. At the end of about 2 miles you have to pick your way toward pink flagging across a rocky braided flat area to a trail Junction with the Burro Trail and others that leave the creek bottom. Bring hiking poles and expect to get your feet wet. My understanding is that the the crossings are much more shallow as you progress into spring but you may expect to find wet crossings again during monsoon season during the summer months.