Soldier Pass Trail

Soldier Pass Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are two trailheads that you can use to get there. Both are accessed by 89A. To get to the closest trailhead to Soldier Pass trail is by turning North on Soldier Pass Road to its conclusion. At the other trailhead you will need to take Jordan Road to its end, then hike either Jordan trail or Brins Mesa to get to Soldiers Pass. Both trailheads require a Red Rocks Pass. There are machines to buy a pass at both places.

Great views. Must go to sacred pools in the spring.

Amazing wilderness trail, in this beautiful desert!

Overall I liked this hike, as it had pretty much everything I look for, from a Sedona trail: enough cardio to call it a hike :), views, red rocks, and open sky.
Downside: Parking. Always with the bad parking here in Sedona! ...but it's to be expected because it's such a gorgeous place that so many ppl want to see. So, considering, instead of attempting to park at the trailhead, maybe park at a nearby business and Uber the rest of the way.
There aren't any parking options outside of the trailhead's parking lot because this trailhead is smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood with NO PARKING signs allllll over. I anticipate the residents are quick to call towers. So, again, Uber.
The first half of it feels more like a tour because you walk past a sinkhole, which has placards explaining the science behind sinkholes; and, the occasional pink Jeep drives by. (Hence my 3 stars.)
You'll see the 7 sacred pools, which weren't very pool-like when I was there due to minimal rain; but still, they were interesting nonetheless.
Once you get out of the initial part of the trail, it becomes more like a hike. This is the stretch that felt worth it. You climb a moderate slope to the top, all along the way rising to pretty views of the valley below. Once you crest the ridge, you can no longer see signs of everyday life.
For me, I prefer a more remote trail - something that makes me feel like I'm deeper in nature. So, again, this is why I give this trail 3 stars. I didn't get that feeling until I was 1/2 way through.
Nevertheless, one is hard-pressed to walk away from a Sedona trail unhappy. I mean, c'mon...it's Sedona.

Need a pass in advance. Fun little trail. cool to say you did it but it's very short.

Alot of great scenary pretty breathe taking, you will have to follow your nose to get around but you won't get lost. Def go

A nice/somewhat easy trail with beautiful, photographic views in every direction. However, the trails are not marked well... I was lost a few times and relied on the direction of other hikers/cyclists, as well as the downloaded All Trails map. It was clean and I didn’t see too much garbage. Not too busy during the AM weekend hours. Plenty of shade but make sure you pack sunscreen and water anyway!

Fun trail, found the sink hole, but the rest of the path to 7 pools were not marked well

Great views
Poor trail signaling
Not too steep, not too long...
The file on the app was a loop with a "line attached to the loop" I followed that line and the trial ended, and pretty much had to turn right to followed the trail and before I knew it I was in soldier pass spur, which connected to mesa brin , and decided to turn around.
I was expecting to pretty much have the arches jump out in front of me.

Also, parking lot fits about 14 cars I believe...

Do some research If you want to get to the arches or caves, the pass, etc...

Offroad permit required in advance.

Good hike and great views

Great hike. Get there early or bring plenty of water. Not much coverage till you reach the peak

Hiked Solider’s Pass to the sink hole to 7 Pools and went on to find the caves. My only complaint is that the trail is not very well marked. At times I felt a little lost but relied on the downloaded map to get me along. I had to ask fellow hikers for directions a time or two as well. Compared to other popular trails in Sedona, this trail was very clean (free of trash, not a lot of dog droppings). It was lightly trafficked- there were a few other cars parked in the dirt lot when I arrived at 8:00am and I only passed a few groups of hikers the whole day (I got back to my car around 5:00pm). I would definitely hike it again. Bring water and sun screen, as there is not a lot of tree shade.

Great trail to hike for families with children 9 years and up.

Good workout, but hot hot hot in the afternoon. Had planned to be 5000 ft higher for the day.

If you go over the pass, you see an immediate change in the flora and find more shade. Descended on Brins Mesa, which I think had better views.

I highly recommend this hike to anyone in Sedona for a brief amount of time. It's quick to get to the trailhead but it's not very busy at all. The trail is very obvious except for a few places but even then it's easy to figure out. Initially heading out the views are not not super obvious but as you start climbing you look back and see amazing panoramic views of the valley. I also advise you to turn onto Brin Mesa Loop and go back on Jordan trail. There were wildflowers at the top where they merged and a fun little ruck formation to see the valley from and feel the wind. No trekking poles needed as footing is really sturdy, just lots of rocks so wear at least sneakers. Between this and Devil's Bridge, this one by far!

off road driving

Starting spring 2018 the gate is locked and there is a 12/day permit limit for off road vehicles. Permits must be reserved 3 days in advance. Lame.

Awesome! Made it to the caves

Great hike, very scenic and not too difficult. That sun though, bring ample water. There is some trees for shade which is nice. We were there on a Wednesday in early May, there were only 4 cars in the lot around 1PM. But the lot is not suitable for RVs/Vehicles over 20ft. We parked our 25ft RV about a mile up the road by the Sedona Dog Park and walked to the trailhead. Not too bad. With the walk to the RV and the trail, plus stops for photos, took us about 3 hours.

I live in Sedona and this is no longer an off-road vehicle 4x4 trail. They closed it off because people were complaining about the noise near their houses. You can still walk through it though.

Fine view but semi anticlimactic for me. Not the best marked trail I’ve been on.

Great

Go early as soon as the gate opens at 8. Excellent views of the rock formations from all degrees. Be sure to stop at the Mesa. Lots of rock steps as part of the trails. Well marked in most places. Just follow the footsteps if you can’t tell which way to go. No bicyclists, jeeps, or casual hikers in sandals. Panoramic views everywhere!

3 hour circuit. Tons of variety from plains to sinkholes and everything in between.

Great views from the higher you get!

We hiked out from the soldier pass trailhead. Went up soldier pass, turned right at the Brin mesa trail sign and and onto Jordan trail to complete the 7 mile loop. It was an amazing hike. The trails were well marked all the way through. Once at the Jordan Trail head follow the Jordan trail/ cíbola pass signs, both trails merge. Follow the Jordan trail signs to the Sink hole to get back on to the Soldier pass trail.

It was a great hike. Rocky terrain and awesome views!!!

We did Soldiers Pass to Brins Mesa to Cibola Pass Trail. Everything was well marked except one section of Cibola Pass. Sign said Jordan trail both ways and no sign for Cibola. Luckily there was someone there who knew where to go. Follow Jordan trail in same direction u r going. It’s a fairly easy hike, with lots of flat ground. Some high elevations but very manageable. You are on the interior almost the whole trek. Lots of great views: Devils kitchen, seven sacred pools- these are on Soldiers Pass. Very quiet!! Very relaxing! Husband thought it was a little boring but it fine. Of figuring out which ones to do in Sedona. I would do this first since I think others have more of “wow” factors. Doe Mountain and Airport Mesa Loop have more wows but are more difficult! Have fun hiking Sedona, it’s a great place!!!!

Did 5 mike loop (in 3 hours) - Soldier pass, to Brins Mesa, to Jordan back to soldier pass. Amazing views. Variety of terrain which was cool. We did pass a couple people who were a little lost but we thought the trail was marked pretty well. Got pretty windy up on the top. Was helpful for us to take picture of map before we departed parking lot. Parking lot had about 10 spots.

I love the 5 pools or whatever its called LOL absolutely beautiful when theres actually water in them. The big cavern? is stunning and we saw a snake so that was cool. We normally go off trail and wander into the forest a bit.

This will always be a memorable trail for me. It was my first hike in Sedona and paired with Brin Mesa for the entire loop. Just outstanding.