Slim Shady is among my fav trails to take AZ visitors and folks who don't hike often. But it's not the full trail I do - I'm after the views, so, from the parking lot, I take Slim Shady straight to the large ledge. I'm not sure what else to call it, but it's a large, shelf-like ledge that you can hike up to (less than 5 min from parking lot), where you can see almost all of East Sedona. The views are almost 360. It's a full-on wow-factor, and again, perfect for when you have someone with you who is shy to hiking.
Although there are a lot of parking spaces, they do fill up quickly on a weekend in the Fall, for example.
You do need a Red Rock Parking Pass or the Interagency National Parks Pass to park here. You can purchase the Red Rocks Parking Pass in the parking lot, if I recall - from a vending machine. I honestly recommend you stop at the vistor's center, just off the freeway, along 179 on your way into Sedona, to purchase either the Red Rocks Pass or the National Parks Annual Pass (currently $80/yr.) By stopping on your way into town, you're covered for your whole trip.
There is a lot of loose rock on this trail, so I would be sure folks have proper hiking shoes, or shoes with a bit of grip. Slip-on tennis shoes, for example, are not recommended.
Admittedly, I've not finished the full trail because it's the view I'm after. And, when I want a longer hike, I go where there's less foot traffic, and further out from this area of Sedona.
Again, this trail leads you to that ledge with incredible views, so it's a must when you want a quick fix of extreme beauty. Love, love, love this trail.