Slim Shady and Made in the Shade Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(136)
Coconino National Forest

Slim Shady and Made in the Shade Loop Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from August until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 347 feet Route Type: Loop

An easy-going but occasionally rocky trail with minimal climb and decent. my group of 6 did the 2.3 mile loop in about an hour and enjoyed the blooming cacti, views of Bell Rock, and lizards. We did the hike around 4pm for a cooler afternoon hike and only saw a couple of hikers and a few mountain bikers. Highly recommended if you're looking for a 1-2 hour walk with views of red rocks and cacti.

It’s open!! Rangers were taking down the closed signs as I pulled up into the parking lot. Great hike. Never lose the sound of traffic but beautiful views all around.

Closed!!

Nice shady spots to get some water and take a breath, note the trail change around a mile in

i loved this tike took my 5 year old with me. it was beautiful!!

Went clockwise which gave some elevation. Great views!

Nice two hr hike from Canyon Circle Dr. Nearby shopping area for parking. Slim Shady to the loop trail. Only problem was near the end of the loop trail, the trail disappeared on a rock ledge.Had to scout around using the All Trail app gps,

Did a modified slim shady route. Enjoyable trail

fee

I picked up this trail from Yavapai Trail and took it until it intersected with Templeton. Beautiful hike. Fairly easy, some slippery rocks to go down.

Great for an early-morning trail run. You can hear traffic the whole time, but there's beautiful wilderness and amazing rock formations surrounding you the whole time.

Fun easy warm up trail on the way into Sedona. Lots of shade winding through the trees. Would definitely do it again. No parking where the directions take you.

fun

Mon Apr 29 2019

A nice walk. Few steep drops. Good for beginners

Sat Mar 16 2019

Nice walk with amazing panoramic views.

Sun Mar 10 2019

nice walk with a different view

Good easy 2 hour trail loop.

Thu Jan 31 2019

Super easy. Great views. You can hear the road the whole time. Park at Bell Tower Vista. Trail is across 179. Well marked

Tue Jan 08 2019

Not only a fun name but a fun hike as well. Very easy. Only a few miles, round trip. My husky loved it. Great views as well.

Fri Jan 04 2019

Great hike and with kids!

Thu Oct 11 2018

More of a walk than a hike per say but great trail. Saw more mountain bikers than hikers but not too many that made it unpleasant.

Wed Sep 05 2018

Did the Made in the Shade leg first. Just after sunrise on the day following a nice rain. Not too difficult. Lovely views. Good trail markers and, when the trail runs over the rock, paint daubs showing the way. First time on this loop, will do it again.

Sun Aug 26 2018

I walked a series of three different trails. While it appears I went off the trail, something weird happened. On one hand, I did not go off 'the marked trail'.. there were trail markers and 'worn trails,' but yes, in a few places, the trial had washed out due to the previous day's rain. But, the good thing here is for the most part since you see the road to one side of you, you can always figure out how to get back to a trail. Just be careful when walking down the washes as the rocks can be slippery. The one benefit of the rain was it had hardened the trail surface, so the sand and rocks were not as loose as they may usually be. Not many people actually seem to go on these trails, opting for trails further out in the wilderness. It makes sense if you are interested in not hearing cars. You won't see many houses from here, but once you climb up the almost 400 feet, you can look down into the main road and see traffic. I did not encounter another person on this trail today! Also, go on these trails after 3-4 or after the sun starts to set as the sun will be behind the hills behind you and you will get more shade. (My hike started with Agave, went into Made in the Shade, and ended with Coconino at the Yavapai view point. Someone picked me up from here, so I went only one way.)

Wed Jul 25 2018

Slim Shady is among my fav trails to take AZ visitors and folks who don't hike often. But it's not the full trail I do - I'm after the views, so, from the parking lot, I take Slim Shady straight to the large ledge. I'm not sure what else to call it, but it's a large, shelf-like ledge that you can hike up to (less than 5 min from parking lot), where you can see almost all of East Sedona. The views are almost 360. It's a full-on wow-factor, and again, perfect for when you have someone with you who is shy to hiking. Although there are a lot of parking spaces, they do fill up quickly on a weekend in the Fall, for example. You do need a Red Rock Parking Pass or the Interagency National Parks Pass to park here. You can purchase the Red Rocks Parking Pass in the parking lot, if I recall - from a vending machine. I honestly recommend you stop at the vistor's center, just off the freeway, along 179 on your way into Sedona, to purchase either the Red Rocks Pass or the National Parks Annual Pass (currently $80/yr.) By stopping on your way into town, you're covered for your whole trip. There is a lot of loose rock on this trail, so I would be sure folks have proper hiking shoes, or shoes with a bit of grip. Slip-on tennis shoes, for example, are not recommended. Admittedly, I've not finished the full trail because it's the view I'm after. And, when I want a longer hike, I go where there's less foot traffic, and further out from this area of Sedona. Again, this trail leads you to that ledge with incredible views, so it's a must when you want a quick fix of extreme beauty. Love, love, love this trail.

Mon Apr 02 2018

Not a bad trail! Had some good views in few places. Great trail for mountain biking.

Sat Feb 17 2018

This was nice loop hike, really pretty views. Not too many on the trail, but it is close to the highway. If you’re looking for peace and quiet, this is not the hike to do. We brought our two big dogs and had no issues.

Sat Feb 10 2018

Nice in February too. We were surprised at the number of bikers on a Friday afternoon. The trail is narrow in many places & hikers must be alert

Sun Dec 31 2017

Awesome trail with great views! Brought our pup and it was just challenging enough to keep him focused.