Slim Shady and Made in the Shade Loop Trail

Slim Shady and Made in the Shade Loop Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from August until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did the Made in the Shade leg first. Just after sunrise on the day following a nice rain.

Not too difficult. Lovely views.
Good trail markers and, when the trail runs over the rock, paint daubs showing the way.
First time on this loop, will do it again.

I walked a series of three different trails. While it appears I went off the trail, something weird happened. On one hand, I did not go off 'the marked trail'.. there were trail markers and 'worn trails,' but yes, in a few places, the trial had washed out due to the previous day's rain. But, the good thing here is for the most part since you see the road to one side of you, you can always figure out how to get back to a trail. Just be careful when walking down the washes as the rocks can be slippery. The one benefit of the rain was it had hardened the trail surface, so the sand and rocks were not as loose as they may usually be. Not many people actually seem to go on these trails, opting for trails further out in the wilderness. It makes sense if you are interested in not hearing cars. You won't see many houses from here, but once you climb up the almost 400 feet, you can look down into the main road and see traffic. I did not encounter another person on this trail today! Also, go on these trails after 3-4 or after the sun starts to set as the sun will be behind the hills behind you and you will get more shade. (My hike started with Agave, went into Made in the Shade, and ended with Coconino at the Yavapai view point. Someone picked me up from here, so I went only one way.)

Slim Shady is among my fav trails to take AZ visitors and folks who don't hike often. But it's not the full trail I do - I'm after the views, so, from the parking lot, I take Slim Shady straight to the large ledge. I'm not sure what else to call it, but it's a large, shelf-like ledge that you can hike up to (less than 5 min from parking lot), where you can see almost all of East Sedona. The views are almost 360. It's a full-on wow-factor, and again, perfect for when you have someone with you who is shy to hiking.
Although there are a lot of parking spaces, they do fill up quickly on a weekend in the Fall, for example.
You do need a Red Rock Parking Pass or the Interagency National Parks Pass to park here. You can purchase the Red Rocks Parking Pass in the parking lot, if I recall - from a vending machine. I honestly recommend you stop at the vistor's center, just off the freeway, along 179 on your way into Sedona, to purchase either the Red Rocks Pass or the National Parks Annual Pass (currently $80/yr.) By stopping on your way into town, you're covered for your whole trip.
There is a lot of loose rock on this trail, so I would be sure folks have proper hiking shoes, or shoes with a bit of grip. Slip-on tennis shoes, for example, are not recommended.
Admittedly, I've not finished the full trail because it's the view I'm after. And, when I want a longer hike, I go where there's less foot traffic, and further out from this area of Sedona.
Again, this trail leads you to that ledge with incredible views, so it's a must when you want a quick fix of extreme beauty. Love, love, love this trail.

Not a bad trail! Had some good views in few places. Great trail for mountain biking.

This was nice loop hike, really pretty views. Not too many on the trail, but it is close to the highway. If you’re looking for peace and quiet, this is not the hike to do. We brought our two big dogs and had no issues.

Nice in February too. We were surprised at the number of bikers on a Friday afternoon. The trail is narrow in many places & hikers must be alert

Awesome trail with great views! Brought our pup and it was just challenging enough to keep him focused.

Terrain goes from loose rocks to soft red dirt. Nice family trail. Great photo ops.

Beautiful scenery. We saw a lizard. Didn’t lose anyone.

We veered off slightly to find the path that would take us to the top a place with some amazing views. I believe we took the Kaibab.

Loved these 2 trails- made in the shade was just the right amount of challenge for us 50 something's.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

We intended to only do this loop but missed a turn and ended up climbing the mountain on a different trail. So glad we missed the turn because the reward at the top were amazing views! We enjoyed our time up there and made our way back til we found our error and finished the loop. This trail is true to it's name if you go later in the afternoon because much if it is shaded which is helpful on a hot afternoon.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Beautiful trail at the base of the mountain. My wife and I are ametures and did the hike in about 1.5 hours. loved it!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Made this a super long trail starting from the village to slim shady, made in the shade, back to slim shady, (missed the highlime trail) and ended up on templeton, then finishing at cathedral rock and wowza that was a climb! ....then I had to go all the way back lol

Sunday, April 23, 2017

A real good hike. Puts you right below the cliffs west of bell rock.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Very difficult to hike, about 90% in a creek bed with major rocks. Also mostly mountain bikers and no other hikers on foot the day we did it. Difficult terrain and not a lot of scenery.

Saturday, September 09, 2017