Shaw Butte Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 813 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please be aware that dogs are not allowed on this or any other trails in the city of Phoenix when temperatures are greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

It was a pretty easy up and back trail. Got the heart rate going pretty good on the incline. Not the most exciting trail but it's easy to get to in the middle of town.

I really like this trail! The restaurant and cell towers make for fun pit stops, and the partially paved portions are a nice mix-up from usual parking. I wish I’d have realized just HOW rocky the southeast side of the hike was, as I’d have gone up that side instead of down it. That side is much more like a typical hike than the north side, which is basically a super intense tread incline the whole way up. Great views and not too difficult! North side is great for easy and south side is tougher for sure.

The last couple times I hiked at North Mountain I did the Shaw Butte/360 loop. Decided this time I wanted the less strenuous route, so did this out and back one. Had to rest a few times on the way up, but still an enjoyable hike all in all. With taking my time, plus breaks, it took me 2 hours round trip. Started at 1:30pm and while it was only 70-some degrees, it fell maybe 10 degrees warmer with the sun beating down and very little shade. Sunscreen not a bad idea.

Wouldn’t rate a medium for Mountain Biking. Long steep climb (partially broken up pavement partially large rocks) and a very aggressive (steep, lots of loose and sharp rocks) decent. Still fun, great training exercise

11-16-19. Phoenix Summit Challenge-7!!!

Beautiful day with Floyd. Used the pinch collar for the first time today. He did much better

Quick hike with lots of loose rock toward the top

11/16/19- Phoenix Summit Challenge Summit #1 Completed! :D

Got a late start so it was pretty warm but doable.

I thought it was a good hike. A lot of loose rocks was the only thing that deterred me from having a better time. I took my little dog who found the trail too rough for his little feet. Will definitely be coming back, but, leaving the little dog home.

A lot of inclines and rough loose rock but a great hike otherwise. Just be prepared.

Awesome trail. Beautiful views.My dog loves it too. Make sure you wear shoes with good grip- loose stones.

Great trail and awesome views of the valley and sunset. The inclines were definitely a butt kicker at times with the 108-111 degree temps but a good conditioning trail.

Sun Jun 02 2019

awesome trail. good workout.

AWESOME trail UP!! and beautiful views everywhere!

Fri May 10 2019

Great evening hike. If you want to be on the trail at night, this one is for you. Stunning views of the area. If you can catch a cloudy sunset, so much the better.

Good trail, just too much of a road path than a trail for my liking.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Nice sunrise spot but takes a little work to get there! 3 major hills.. 1mi, 1.5mi, 2mi markers are your photo ops. Went counterclockwise for a steadyyyy incline up. More rocky on the back half. Great 4mi loop!

I wasn’t expecting a trail like this. If you want a good workout, then definitely go here. About a half mile to a climb. And then very steep hill for almost a mile.

Wed Apr 17 2019

I was slow but I finished it.

Fri Apr 12 2019

this is a great trail for hiking, trail running or downhill riding!

Sat Mar 30 2019

Mon Jan 14 2019

Was a nice little trail up to the old restaurant. The trail it self isn’t too bad but the incline can definitely get to you if you’re not used to it. Good views of the entire Phoenix metro area. Would do it again for the exercise :)

Sun Dec 16 2018

Nice. Wanted to hike here for ages. Nice a gentle, with just 2 steep inclines to challenge my 10yr old and 6yr old girls. The views of the north and west are fantastic; though I preferred north mountain for views of the south and downtown. Busiest trail we’ve been on so far this year. It was almost consistent traffic between 1-3pm!

Wed Oct 31 2018

Started at Trail 100 went back-way to Trail 306 to loop back to visitors center. Definitely a moderate/hard hike incline with good views along with the urban vibe. Trails clean and marked well! Friendly staff, bathrooms and don’t forget to grab a map! Good Times!!!