Shaw Butte and Charles M Christiansen Loop Trail

Shaw Butte and Charles M Christiansen Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

When you say "North Mountain," most Arizonans know where it is or can find it. When you say "Shaw Butte," it seems like you get a lot more questioning glances and "huh?". Shaw Butte is the other side of the preserve. There are 3 interesting landmarks on this trail, 2 radio towers and an old burned down restaurant, all of which are fun to check out. Despite not a ton of people knowing the name, this is a very popular trail and a good place to get a nice challenge in. Take the access road up and down a few times and you'll get your workout in for the day! Additional parking is off of Central and Thunderbird. The Trail 306 starts uphill and stays that way pretty much till the towers, with just a few flat spots to give you a break. You can walk around the towers for some nice views of the city. Once you pass the towers and continue around the loop you come to an old restaurant that has been burned down for 40 years. Take some time to look up the old Cloud 9 Restaurant and relive some history. Continuing down the switchbacks the backside of the mountain is nice and flat and easy going. You will probably pass a mountain biker or two at some point down here. You also get on part of the Trail 100 that runs through several of the mountains in the area. Also, dog friendly.

Starts off pretty steep. Awesome views once you reach the summit.

Nice loop, good views, able to trail run a lot of it. The Hohokam Observatory is really neat.

to many people

to busy

The trail was very well marked, busy trail with lots of nice people! Great for a dog on leash too!!

I went around the backside. I thought it was a nice quick hike

Kind of rough, but really nice!

was great. brought our dog she's small it got alittle hard for her. Great for cardio. will probably so again!

This is my close to home weekend hike. For me it was a challenge to get to those towers at first but now its my strength builder. I love this trail. Cant wait to explore more of the city trails and then this great state.

Always amazing

Great views of the valley!

nice uphill workout

Amazing trail love this after work easy to get to and such amazing views, very friendly people on the trail

Parking lot with the most parking is at the Phoenix Mountain Visitor Center. Best (but limited) parking is at the parking lot located at Central Ave (south of Thunderbird Ave). The portion of the hike where you actually start climbing the mountain is a maintenance road for the towers on top of Shaw Butte. Wide enough for multiple people hikes but condition of road can be rough on the steeper part of the trail.

This was a little rougher than expected. I'm used to hiking Javelina/Ridgeline/Beverley Canyon at South Mountain but decided to try this since I moved up north. As this was the first real beautiful weekend of the year, I was excited. I'll admit, I'm a bit out of shape. The first part (100) was good, easy, and enjoyable. The second part (306) kicked my butt! I got to the first checkpoint before I had to turn around. (Note: I was going clockwise). I think next time I'm going to try going counter clockwise as it sounds like it's a little longer but more gradual up hill. The views were great and I definitely plan to try again! (PS i love that it's a real parking lot and little visitors center. I didn't go to it but I thought it was cool)

The City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department along with the Project Team would like to invite you to attend a project open house to learn about the North Mountain Access Road Improvement Project.
Where: North Mountain Visitor Center - 12950 N 7th Street
When: Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Time: 6PM—7PM

I'm going to try this again when I'm more advanced. About 1.5 miles in I realized I wasn't going to make it. I ended up on the "100" trail with the yellow sign. It's not that the trail was too much but the sun was INTENSE. It was only to be a high of 97 but the temp was 106 when I got back to my car.

Overall it was very pretty and definitely not for the less hydrated crew.

This is a awesome incline trail if you want a slow incline walk to the top. It's trail is roomy and the views are amazing! I enjoyed it for the morning hike about 2 hours.

Not much in the way of scenery, but does offer nice views overlooking the city. Definitely qualifies as "leg day."

Great nice little workout.