Shadow Mountain Trail

Shadow Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 426 feet Route Type: Loop

Decent but with a dog it gets a bit tough with no trail markings, I'm okay with figuring stuff out on my own though. Will run until we remember the trail

really narrow trails nothing marked

close to home good work out. Depending how you decide to start the trail.

Not exciting.. trails are not marked. Pretty easy tho. We were only ones out hiking. Skinny paths.

Nice change of pace from nearby trails around Lookout Mountain or Shaw Butte. A little hard to follow on the first try without a map to guide you.

Had a great time with my dog and girl. Trails were good, a lot of loose rock, but the view at the top was worth it even with the steep climb.

A fun set trails with several options for different trails to follow. Rocky in most places, and trails are not well marked, if at all.

my wife and I did the loop trail today. moderate difficulty. great views and little noise for an urban hike. only problem was we lost the trail on Southeast corner when our Gps froze. highly recommend.

I enjoyed this hike for a city hike. A bit too much car noise for my taste. The very height of the climb triggered some fear of heights for me so if you share my fear stay on the lower trails. Still fun and a good workout.

This trail isn’t at all correct on this app. The trial it led us on was overgrown, covered in cacti, zero visible trail and you basically just walk arbitrarily around a mountain. My dog got a bunch of cactus thorns in her feet because the trail was so poorly developed so I can definitely say I wouldn’t recommend following the Shadow Mountain trail via AllTrails app.

very hot I would recommend going early in the day

My brother and I lived on this mountain when we were 12 and 13. We would run the hills for training and also hike the mountain Sunday morning to go to PFA. They have water fountains there. Also they have a very nice prayer room.

Easy hike? I’m not sure

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Path not marked with lots of loose rock and varied incline. Not for the novice.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

Really not a great hike. Impossible to follow trail. Deceptive to call it easy - many would struggle with the footing not to mention the lack of signposts make you wonder if you are completely off track.

Friday, February 23, 2018

Trail isn’t marked, kind of made my own way to the top. Very rocky. Good for quick easy hike.

Monday, February 19, 2018

Definitely moderate.. the trail wasn't clearly marked as others have said. But it was fairly easy to navigate yourself around. pretty good work out if you go all the way to the top! great views.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

No trail markers and all trails blue dot did not line up with trails.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

The hike itself is really nice and scenic but the trail isn’t marked at all. I kept veering off trail. I would definitely bring your phone to track your location

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

This trail is a great moderate hike with nice views on the back side of the mountain. It’s not easy & there’s loose rock in multiple places. Hard to follow the trail unless you’ve hiked it before. Poorly marked but if you use the trail app it’s worth it.

Friday, January 12, 2018

I didn't have any trouble finding the trail. nice easy hike. chill. I'd bring my kids here.

Friday, January 12, 2018

It was hard to follow the trail. I wouldn't take kids or my dog since I was walking over a lot of rocks. Didn't see anyone. Nice and quiet.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

That was a crazy mess of a trail, but it was pleasant. It's hard to keep on the trail, as it's not well worn and you can't see it in places. At one point I felt like I was blazing my own trail up the side of the mountain. Plus there are a ton of side trails. and I wouldn't call this trail easy.

Monday, January 01, 2018

Quick mountain hike right in Phoenix and easy climb to awesome 360 views of Phoenix. Very rocky and scraggly but I kinda loved it. Perfect for a quick hike when you have little time. And very few others were here so I had most of time in solitude. Definitely loved it!

Saturday, December 30, 2017

West side is confusing. I’m glad I did it during the day.

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Pretty trail, not many hikers on it. The trail gets sort of lost on the West side of the mountain (towards cave creek rd.) as there was/is some construction going on. From there the trail that goes up the mountain, not very distinct and kind of have to guess where the trail is but I made it! Trail is rated as "easy" but for a beginner it might be a bit more than that. Wildlife is quite active on this mountain, I even found couple of coyotes nests (that was cool, I've never seen one).

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Great trail and is definitely tougher than it looks

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

For me it didn’t look like much but it was tuff , I went when the sun was going down that was a mistake too many loops , it was a challenge I for sure will do this again with more light

Saturday, October 14, 2017