Shadow Mountain Trail

Shadow Mountain Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The hike itself is really nice and scenic but the trail isn’t marked at all. I kept veering off trail. I would definitely bring your phone to track your location

This trail is a great moderate hike with nice views on the back side of the mountain. It’s not easy & there’s loose rock in multiple places. Hard to follow the trail unless you’ve hiked it before. Poorly marked but if you use the trail app it’s worth it.

I didn't have any trouble finding the trail. nice easy hike. chill. I'd bring my kids here.

It was hard to follow the trail. I wouldn't take kids or my dog since I was walking over a lot of rocks. Didn't see anyone. Nice and quiet.

That was a crazy mess of a trail, but it was pleasant. It's hard to keep on the trail, as it's not well worn and you can't see it in places. At one point I felt like I was blazing my own trail up the side of the mountain. Plus there are a ton of side trails. and I wouldn't call this trail easy.

Quick mountain hike right in Phoenix and easy climb to awesome 360 views of Phoenix. Very rocky and scraggly but I kinda loved it. Perfect for a quick hike when you have little time. And very few others were here so I had most of time in solitude. Definitely loved it!

West side is confusing. I’m glad I did it during the day.

Pretty trail, not many hikers on it. The trail gets sort of lost on the West side of the mountain (towards cave creek rd.) as there was/is some construction going on. From there the trail that goes up the mountain, not very distinct and kind of have to guess where the trail is but I made it! Trail is rated as "easy" but for a beginner it might be a bit more than that. Wildlife is quite active on this mountain, I even found couple of coyotes nests (that was cool, I've never seen one).

Great trail and is definitely tougher than it looks

For me it didn’t look like much but it was tuff , I went when the sun was going down that was a mistake too many loops , it was a challenge I for sure will do this again with more light

Nice quick hike to the peak. Easy until the half way, then the last leg starts to get a little steep. Nothing to incredible to see except a great view of Lookout Mountain to the West.

Decent hike, not terribly challenging, and was completely empty. There are a lot of prickly vegetation growth along the trail, and you can get off trail on the SE side of the mountain fairly easily. There is some wild life here, saw some lizards, a family of jack rabbits, and two hawks decimating that family of jack rabbits.

Didn't go all the way to the summit but was definitely a fun and challenging hike

The trails were a little crazy and unmarked. You never lose sight or sound of the city.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Great w kids! Great views

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Nice community trail. My kids are able to hike it with me.

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Lots of different ways you can attack this area. I hiked on New Year's Day in the rain to the highest peak. It was fun. A bit technical towards the top but definitely easy

Friday, January 06, 2017

good and quick

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

GPX file offered by alltrails is different from what they show on the map. Ended up doing my own thing when I got out there. Trails were OK with alot of loose rock. No traffic, my dogs were able to roam free without leashes.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

it was a lil difficult to navigate the trail all in all it was good