Shadow Mountain Trail

Shadow Mountain Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty trail, not many hikers on it. The trail gets sort of lost on the West side of the mountain (towards cave creek rd.) as there was/is some construction going on. From there the trail that goes up the mountain, not very distinct and kind of have to guess where the trail is but I made it! Trail is rated as "easy" but for a beginner it might be a bit more than that. Wildlife is quite active on this mountain, I even found couple of coyotes nests (that was cool, I've never seen one).

Great trail and is definitely tougher than it looks

For me it didn’t look like much but it was tuff , I went when the sun was going down that was a mistake too many loops , it was a challenge I for sure will do this again with more light

Nice quick hike to the peak. Easy until the half way, then the last leg starts to get a little steep. Nothing to incredible to see except a great view of Lookout Mountain to the West.

Decent hike, not terribly challenging, and was completely empty. There are a lot of prickly vegetation growth along the trail, and you can get off trail on the SE side of the mountain fairly easily. There is some wild life here, saw some lizards, a family of jack rabbits, and two hawks decimating that family of jack rabbits.

Didn't go all the way to the summit but was definitely a fun and challenging hike

The trails were a little crazy and unmarked. You never lose sight or sound of the city.

Great w kids! Great views

Nice community trail. My kids are able to hike it with me.

Lots of different ways you can attack this area. I hiked on New Year's Day in the rain to the highest peak. It was fun. A bit technical towards the top but definitely easy

good and quick

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

GPX file offered by alltrails is different from what they show on the map. Ended up doing my own thing when I got out there. Trails were OK with alot of loose rock. No traffic, my dogs were able to roam free without leashes.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

it was a lil difficult to navigate the trail all in all it was good

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

bit more robust than a moderate hike, not well marked but the views were amazing and with this app we kept pretty close to the trail.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

I hiked a few months ago, in the winter, I am just now getting around to reviewing it. I grew up near here, but this is my first time hiking here. I always favored nearby Lookout mountain. Anyway, I parked in the neighborhood at 25th.pl. and Acoma, great little trailhead with room for a few cars. You can either go around the mountain or up the mountain. I chose to go up. Near the top it gets very steep with some scrambling, be careful. The views at the top are awesome and crowds are non-existent. This is a great hike for solitude in the city.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Went to Shadow Mountain today. I had never been there before, even though it is close to where I live. I found streetside parking only, and did not find a lot for the park. At first glance, it looks very uninteresting. I started out just walking across the desert, passing by the Phoenix Mountains Preserve sign. I was heading uphill, but there was no difficulty to it at all. I came to a "peak," and decided to go to the top. It was not all that high, but was the closest summit to where I started. The trail leading to the top ascends along a not quite vertical slab of rock. It was a little bit intimidating, and looking up I wasn't completely sure I could make it, let alone come back down. Up I went anyway, utilizing hand holds and a little bit of climbing. I would call it something between a scramble and a true rock climb. I made it to the top, though, and when I did, I found more of the same. The top is a jumble of rock. Close by is a sheer rock face and one could surely make a wrong step and head right off the face. Hoping to find an easier way down, I went to the far side of the top and found more rock. It wasn't as hard as the start, and I did make it down, and eventually found a trailway all the way down. All in all, what started out uninteresting turned very interesting in the end. My trail was hard, and lots of fun. There is more to the park that I did not see. I will be going back.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

It is a nice and fun trail. You will definitely need you phone gps trail map for this one. There are no trail markings and multiple paths in different directions, which adds to the adventure,

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Good

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Good hike, trails not well marked but that's what made it an adventure

Friday, October 30, 2015

Great trail, lots of different options depending on ability.