Shadow Mountain Trail

Shadow Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Path not marked with lots of loose rock and varied incline. Not for the novice.

Really not a great hike. Impossible to follow trail. Deceptive to call it easy - many would struggle with the footing not to mention the lack of signposts make you wonder if you are completely off track.

Trail isn’t marked, kind of made my own way to the top. Very rocky. Good for quick easy hike.

Definitely moderate.. the trail wasn't clearly marked as others have said. But it was fairly easy to navigate yourself around. pretty good work out if you go all the way to the top! great views.

No trail markers and all trails blue dot did not line up with trails.

The hike itself is really nice and scenic but the trail isn’t marked at all. I kept veering off trail. I would definitely bring your phone to track your location

This trail is a great moderate hike with nice views on the back side of the mountain. It’s not easy & there’s loose rock in multiple places. Hard to follow the trail unless you’ve hiked it before. Poorly marked but if you use the trail app it’s worth it.

I didn't have any trouble finding the trail. nice easy hike. chill. I'd bring my kids here.

It was hard to follow the trail. I wouldn't take kids or my dog since I was walking over a lot of rocks. Didn't see anyone. Nice and quiet.

That was a crazy mess of a trail, but it was pleasant. It's hard to keep on the trail, as it's not well worn and you can't see it in places. At one point I felt like I was blazing my own trail up the side of the mountain. Plus there are a ton of side trails. and I wouldn't call this trail easy.

Quick mountain hike right in Phoenix and easy climb to awesome 360 views of Phoenix. Very rocky and scraggly but I kinda loved it. Perfect for a quick hike when you have little time. And very few others were here so I had most of time in solitude. Definitely loved it!

West side is confusing. I’m glad I did it during the day.

Pretty trail, not many hikers on it. The trail gets sort of lost on the West side of the mountain (towards cave creek rd.) as there was/is some construction going on. From there the trail that goes up the mountain, not very distinct and kind of have to guess where the trail is but I made it! Trail is rated as "easy" but for a beginner it might be a bit more than that. Wildlife is quite active on this mountain, I even found couple of coyotes nests (that was cool, I've never seen one).

Great trail and is definitely tougher than it looks

For me it didn’t look like much but it was tuff , I went when the sun was going down that was a mistake too many loops , it was a challenge I for sure will do this again with more light

2016 2nd trip for hiking. Nice hike and good scenery

Monday, July 10, 2017

Nice quick hike to the peak. Easy until the half way, then the last leg starts to get a little steep. Nothing to incredible to see except a great view of Lookout Mountain to the West.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Decent hike, not terribly challenging, and was completely empty. There are a lot of prickly vegetation growth along the trail, and you can get off trail on the SE side of the mountain fairly easily. There is some wild life here, saw some lizards, a family of jack rabbits, and two hawks decimating that family of jack rabbits.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Didn't go all the way to the summit but was definitely a fun and challenging hike

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The trails were a little crazy and unmarked. You never lose sight or sound of the city.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Great w kids! Great views

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Nice community trail. My kids are able to hike it with me.

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Lots of different ways you can attack this area. I hiked on New Year's Day in the rain to the highest peak. It was fun. A bit technical towards the top but definitely easy

Friday, January 06, 2017

good and quick

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

GPX file offered by alltrails is different from what they show on the map. Ended up doing my own thing when I got out there. Trails were OK with alot of loose rock. No traffic, my dogs were able to roam free without leashes.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

it was a lil difficult to navigate the trail all in all it was good

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

bit more robust than a moderate hike, not well marked but the views were amazing and with this app we kept pretty close to the trail.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

I hiked a few months ago, in the winter, I am just now getting around to reviewing it. I grew up near here, but this is my first time hiking here. I always favored nearby Lookout mountain. Anyway, I parked in the neighborhood at 25th.pl. and Acoma, great little trailhead with room for a few cars. You can either go around the mountain or up the mountain. I chose to go up. Near the top it gets very steep with some scrambling, be careful. The views at the top are awesome and crowds are non-existent. This is a great hike for solitude in the city.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Went to Shadow Mountain today. I had never been there before, even though it is close to where I live. I found streetside parking only, and did not find a lot for the park. At first glance, it looks very uninteresting. I started out just walking across the desert, passing by the Phoenix Mountains Preserve sign. I was heading uphill, but there was no difficulty to it at all. I came to a "peak," and decided to go to the top. It was not all that high, but was the closest summit to where I started. The trail leading to the top ascends along a not quite vertical slab of rock. It was a little bit intimidating, and looking up I wasn't completely sure I could make it, let alone come back down. Up I went anyway, utilizing hand holds and a little bit of climbing. I would call it something between a scramble and a true rock climb. I made it to the top, though, and when I did, I found more of the same. The top is a jumble of rock. Close by is a sheer rock face and one could surely make a wrong step and head right off the face. Hoping to find an easier way down, I went to the far side of the top and found more rock. It wasn't as hard as the start, and I did make it down, and eventually found a trailway all the way down. All in all, what started out uninteresting turned very interesting in the end. My trail was hard, and lots of fun. There is more to the park that I did not see. I will be going back.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

It is a nice and fun trail. You will definitely need you phone gps trail map for this one. There are no trail markings and multiple paths in different directions, which adds to the adventure,