See Canyon Trail #184

See Canyon Trail #184 is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fishing and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Nice hike in the Mogollon rim area. Could be a pretty quick hike so take your time and enjoy the sites. A lot of cool little things to see a long the way. Great weather! Bring lots of water and some snacks. There's a lot of moss growing all over and fungus. It's cool to see the different species of mushrooms. Most of them have little blue beetles living on them and underneath, they're are cool too. Pretty easy hike, you could always walk up the creek for a bit too, other wise you only cross the creek 3 times. A little strenuous the last mile or so, but still a hike worth doing.

I would not consider this a moderate hike, but more on the difficult side as it gets fairly steep. Also, the mileage out and back is not 6.3 miles maybe closer to 8. We turned around at the 3.5 mile mark and still had at least 1/2 mile to the end of the trail. We enjoyed this hike and would recommend it.

Beautiful trail. I brought my 2 year old Dobie with me and we both had a blast! Not many people there on Friday. Stunning fall colors, plenty of shade, we crossed the creek 3 times so my puppy got water and cooled down. The 2 mile dirt road might be rough in a few places for a sedan but doable. Highly recommended!

Hiked mid October and beautiful fall colors about 2 miles into the trail. Very lightly trafficked on a Friday. We saw 3 small groups of people the first mile and that was about it. Lots of people setting up campsites when finishing the hike near the trailhead. I would definitely recommend this hike and hope to do it again soon. Happy hiking :)

Nice hike but a few items of note.

People tend to camp at the TH and along the first 1/2 mile stretch. Just something to be cognizant of as you're possibly walking right by (or through) someone's campsite.

The second thing of note starts about 3/5th of the way in and that is the climb. Just look for the point on the topo map where the contour lines get really close.

Some great views along the way, the first section is an easy jaunt where it changes to an easy/moderate climb.

Lightly traveled, our 7 y.o. JRT trail dog did not join us on this hike, however likely would have been fine.

Almost no one on the trail! Easy to navigate but disappointing ending to the trail! Hard incline at some parts. I personally wouldn't do this trail again.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Pretty unremarkable trail, but the solitude was great. Once you leave the trailhead which is busier than your local Walmart and get about half mile in it's nice and quiet. Several fallen trees to have to climb over-between fires and beetles they don't stand a chance. Last half: you may need a machete. Phone died about ⅔ up. Crosses Christopher Creek at 3 places. Lots of good possible campsites (nothing developed) all along the way.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Awesome trail!

Monday, July 11, 2016

If you're looking for a hike that goes to the top of the rim, this is one. However, I was disappointed that there were no great views from the top. Had I have known, I probably would have chose a different hike of similar length.

It took us little over 4 hours to hike out and back, with a detour stop at the See Spring (additional mile or more out and back.)

The trail was pretty with different terrain throughout. It could have been more enjoyable if the trail was recently maintained. I would recommend light-weight pants and possibly long-sleeved shirt due to the brush and grass that was covering the trail in spots. I wore shorts and got a few minor cuts on thorns. There were plenty of loose pebbles and rocks along the path that made it more difficult coming down the ridge. Perhaps some maintenance could help with that?

Overall, it was a nice hike. I enjoyed hanging out by the spring after the hike. There were plenty of people doing the same. I would go back to the trail head to relax by the water, but I wouldn't do the hike again. I would choose a different one that had beautiful views from the top.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Awesome hike with ample amounts of water. Pretty steep at points, with lush meadows of pine and wildflowers. We didn't hike all the way to the end but plan to next time!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Fantastic hike!

Monday, June 06, 2016

Easy to moderate at times, the creek follows the path most of the way until it switchbacks upwards and the creek is dried up. Lots of wildlife , did 8 miles, mostly shaded. You can go north (longer) or south ( hops back and forth over Christopher creek)

Monday, May 16, 2016

It wasn't the best hike, but it was definitely a great workout!

Sunday, September 20, 2015

My wife and I hiked with our pug. 4 hours round trip up and back. Nice stream and lots of shade. Gets steep and rocky at times towards the end. Saw about 4 other groups of hikers.

9/17/17 ~ 57 M hiker - Drove up from the valley with GF and pooch for this day hike. Easy access to the trail-head via the well maintained FR. Half dozen cars or so at the trail-head and a number of campers spread out in the same area. We had company up the first leg till the turn off for the spring, from that point on we had the trail to ourselves. Beautiful day and gorgeous shady hiking, a nice change from hiking in and around the valley. The trail rises slowly and continually and then hits a couple of steep climbs that will get your attention. The trail end is anticlimactic as there is no vista for picture taking, just the convergence with the General Crook Trail and Rim Road. But the journey is still worth it. Was more challenging for me than I thought it should have been after reading other reviews.

5.5 hours out and back with a 1/2 hour lunch and rests.