Fewer viewpoints than expected, but the ones that are there are outstanding. Think of it primarily as a forest hike and you won’t be disappointed.

I went there on Memorial Day Monday and saw only one other party and was certainly the only one camping there.

Campsites are rare. Many of them on very rocky ground which makes staking the tent difficult. I found an area around mile 4 that is shaded by pines and with soft grounds, though no view.

Went there at the end of May and as expected there was no water up there. Bring all the water that you need and then some.

The trail is easy to lose in some parts — AllTrails was definitely useful in finding it back.

Overall the trail is easy with many shaded portions, but expect several sun exposed sections.

I reached Secret Mountain. via Loy Canyon. Loy Canyon is where you do the hard work, especially during the last two miles. On my second day I hiked back from Secret Mountain mile 4 to the Loy Canyon trailhead in 3.5 hours, stopping little and walking briskly as I was low on water. If you wake up early enough you will get to do the hard section of Loy in the shade, which I recommend in May.