Second Water Trail

Second Water Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Beautiful hike today

My wife and I are new to hiking and we agree "moderate" is an appropriate ranking. The only somewhat challenging part around halfway through when you cross the river(a bunch of times) it was easy to get off trail... that may be due to our novice skill level but overall we had a blast!

Loved this walk! We crossed 4 streams. Saw amazing meadows and great mountain views. Fairly easy vs moderate.

This trail is really cool especially in January when there is water in the creek. We took this to Battleship Mountain and climb it. It turned out to be one of the best hikes in the area in my opinion. Great views of Box canyon and weavers needle from top. Love!

Beautiful canyon, both dry and flowing creeks, with lots of plant life. We went in March - perfect weather - not too hot. We parked at the horse trailer parking spot, which is on the left side, about an 1/8 to 1/4 mile before the First Water Trailhead. Hop the horse hitching post and use the trail heading North-East. It is not marked as being a trailhead, but is the only trail from that spot that I am aware of. It only takes a few minutes before you are already walking in or next to a creek bed. Gorgeous views! It loops around with a spectacular view of Weever's Needle, climbs in elevation, then exits at the First Water Trailhead where we walked back on the main road back to our vehicle. Take much more water than you think you need - it is a long trail. See attached pics.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Sunday, April 19, 2015

We hiked this trail yesterday beginning at First Water Trail which is about an eighth of a mile east of Lost Dutchman State Park entrance. The road (FR78) leading to the parking lot is dirt and can be pretty rough on your vehicle if you exceed 20 - 25 mph. Once at the parking lot you should sign into the guest book provided by the National Park Service. The trail is about eight miles in length round trip unless you want to continue to Boulder Canyon. I consider the trail to be moderate to difficult. Make sure you have plenty of water - 2.5 liters or more. Wear sun blocker/screen for UV protection and hats. Our experience was enjoyable hiking to and from. There is a lot of loose rock and gravel, so be careful as you hike as twisting an ankle can happen very easy. Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Well it broke a 100 today. I was the only one on the trail. I hiked part way down the Boulder Canyon Trail. Flowers are in bloom and I saw A Turtle in a small pool. I want to do do this one again but all the way to Canyon Lake and back.
The worst part of todays hike was the BUGS, next time long pants and a long sleeve shirt my Deet did not help today.

Friday, July 01, 2011

nice easy trail, nice green mesa. did once when it started raining and all the washes were running. be careful of that. but every other time a nice walk for beginners.