Schnebly Hill Road 4x4 Trail

Schnebly Hill Road 4x4 Trail is a 11.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Munds Park, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, scenic driving, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Gorgeous backcountry descent to beautiful Sedona Towering red rock buttes set against a backdrop of deep-green forest and clear blue sky make this road one of Arizona's most photogenic. The road descends over 2,200 feet from the top of massive Mogollon Rim to the town of Sedona. Memorable hiking trails depart from several places along the road, and dispersed camping is allowed above Vista Point. The drive is impressive in either direction. Elk may be seen before sunset. Mountain bikers looking for an easy day will enjoy the ride down. If you park, hike, or stop along the route, you'll need a Red Rocks Pass. Located in Coconino National Forest. For current conditions call Red Rock Ranger District (928) 203-2900. Easy. Signs recommend only trucks or off-highway vehicles, but cars (not low-slung) can make it in good weather. Although the road is wide and well-maintained, expect a bumpy ride. Much of the lower portion is a shelf road. This road is closed during the winter.

off road driving

This is a great trail that requires a 4x4 vehicle to get over some of the rocks. A little rough and bouncy but I find that enjoyable. Take the road slow and enjoy the views. There are many Pink Jeeps on the road and everyone is very respectful of each other. When you get to the vista the views are AMAZING!

off road driving

Great long trail. It has a couple of spots to get out of you vehicle and walk around, about 4 miles out you can pull over and with a small hike climb up to some beautiful rocks and look out over the valley and cow pies. Great photo ops and a dry creek bead to explore. Take your time, can be very rough at some points, take your time and enjoy the ride. Did this trail in a FJ Cruiser with 3 inch lift. Saw a Hyundai Santa Fe pull it off.

off road driving

Very rough on the bottom half ,averaged 3mph in a Trialhawk. Half way up it opens to much smoother dirt where all the camping is from the I17 side. Averaged 15mph. Great views, great for Cam-am , lots of pink Jeeps . Great easy course

Hello all

Going to do this tomorrow with my family in my 4runner. I have a 3 inch lift and am not worried about clearance, however I was wondering if everyone aired down while on this trail? I see that it is very bumpy so I dont want to be bouncing all over the place.

Let me know!

Michael

Very beautiful and scenic trail. Should be a moderate rating due to some larger rocks sticking out the trail.

off road driving

Nice views but trail was very rough. Hard areas even with Toyota 4Runner TRD. High clearance a must. Video on line isn’t accurate of the trail, not an easy trail.

Nice scenic trail. Coming out of Sedona a high clearance vehicle is a must. Scraped the skid plate a couple times with 2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD. Also watched a 4x4 Jeep Compass turn around after he couldn't make it over some big rocks. I wouldn't classify this trail as easy from what I saw last weekend.

off road driving

Definitely leave the Prius or any low clearance vehicle home but 4WD not necessary, we took a stock JK Sahara and had no issues. Views were fantastic, it was a nice (read: bumpy) drive, lots of traffic on a weekend in May.

This was a only rocky, Annoying rocky dirt road. no skill required, no interesting features to climb over, it was a waste of time to drive on it if you are looking to do real off road trail driving.

off road driving

Very scenic road going either direction. I would not recommend driving anything but a higher clearance vehicle on this road. 4x4 is not exactly necessary. It gets bumpier all the time and the Jeep tour operators want it that way. It's their bread and butter to have it this way to thrill the tourists. I did take a little Honda Grom outfitted with knobby tires up and down this road and the Pink Jeep Tour guides were going nuts taking pictures and calling me their hero. It's rough as heck in some places but definitely doable. Leave the Prius home if you are wanting to go up/down Schnebly. Sure you could make it, I guess, but your little car will not be the same as when you started. Do yourself a favor and get some exercise by hiking up Mund's Wagon Trail to see Schnebly in all its glory.

off road driving

Beautiful views; rough roads but worth the bumps!

off road driving

My wife and I took my stock Chevy 1500 crew cab on this trail. It was a ruff ride for my wife. I had a blast. The bumps and beautiful views were well worth it. We turned back after 5 miles.

off road driving

Trail is an easy drive but is bumpy. 4WD wasn’t needed as it was just rocky and slow going. Scenery is what makes this trail worth going down.

off road driving

We rode our Polaris General 4 from Munds Park down this road to Sedona. The views were fantastic and we had plenty of places to stop and take photographs. The road itself isn’t challenging but it is very rough for most of the ride. A few sporadic places where full size vehicles would need to navigate carefully but nothing extreme. We made a day trip out of it riding from Munds to have lunch in Sedona and take a couple other trails before returning the same route back to Munds. Catching sunset from the top of this trail was pretty great and if it gets dark and you don’t want to head back down, you can just cut over to the I17.

off road driving

I did this trail in reverse from the I-17 exit 320 down into Sedona. The drive was beautiful the entire way and It took 2 hours of all downhill driving! It’s also a little rocky once you get out of the pines so it’s a slow trip but worth it.

off road driving

Easy, but very rocky (bumpy) trail with spectacular views of the red rock formations and Sedona valley. Great trail to stop and climb the rock formations along the way. Bring lunch/snacks to take in the view from Schnebly Hill Vista.

off road driving

It's rocky, views well worth it. Went in January, might come back and stay in the east end, lots of camping in the pines just oof I-17 exit.

off road driving

Great trail out of Sedona to I17. Took both our 4x4’s up before Xmas to tour Jerome and Sedona. This was a great route back to Phoenix. Amazing views! All of the reviews comment about it being rocky, it definitely is!

Nice ride. Beautiful scenery.

off road driving

Rocky . Not an easy trail. Beautiful views.

off road driving

did it at night. really cool.

Great beginner trail. Started at the I-17 exit 320 and drove the trail back into Sedona. Totally the best way to drive this. The whole valley opens up to you this way making for an amazing trip. Lots of rocks, no real obstacles, you just have to pick your lines right and it's a breeze. We ran this late evening with the best views at sunset and finishing the lower portion of the trail in complete darkness. Amazing time

off road driving

Started out early morning This is a great trail plenty of wonderful scenery We took along a lunch and made plenty of stops along the way and at the end of the trail Sedona magnificent greg's wife

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

This trail has a special place in my heart, my parents used to take us out here in our station wagon, much nicer in a jeep with the tires aired down

Monday, June 26, 2017

Great views and a nice trip from Sedona to the I 17 freeway and back.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Road is a lot rougher than it use to be.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Fun trail

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Heavy traffic trail. Absolutely amazing views and seeing the transition from red rock to pine trees is beautiful. While on the trail we saw a lot of UTV, ATV, and 4 wheel drive Jeeps and trucks. Whatever you take on the trail, make sure it has a little clearance to get through some rock areas.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Beautiful drive with lots of places to stop and explore the area.