Scheelite Canyon Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hereford, Arizona that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until October.

It's a beautiful area, but our map showed it connecting with the crest trail (#103) at Gate 2, and we weren't able to get that far. At 7300' we found a last cairn and were never able to find any other markers. We had not planned to go back down that trail, knowing that it was steep and difficult, and the leaves/pine needles covering the trail made it even worse. In the end, though, we had no choice but to turn back. Instead of a 6-hr loop, our hike turned into an 8-hr nightmare. This is a "never again" hike for us, unfortunately, though I am glad we went one time.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Very pretty trail, but be warned- it is VERY overgrown and difficult to locate the path. Nice and shady in most spots though.

We didn't get beyond 3 miles in due to time constraints, but I'd go back and try again!

Monday, June 08, 2015

Not the easiest hike but it was a lot of fun!

Sunday, June 30, 2013

This trail is my new favorite. I don't recommend this trail to young children or old dogs. I had to carry my 10 yo, 80# dog the last mile to the trailhead. Not fun.

Whilst hiking this beautiful trail be aware of rock cairns and switchbacks. For the most part the trail is pretty clear but there are a lot of game trails which if you aren't careful can get you scratching your head.

There is plenty of canopy on this trail and about 6 or 7 degrees cooler than regular. You won't be disappointed on this trail. Waiting for the monsoons so water will be readily available.