Scarlett Canyon is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 754 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Neighborhood trail part of the Phoenix Parks and Recreation department but one of the lesser known trails that remains officially unnamed. You can go around the mountain or over the mountain. Mostly flat with lose sand and gravel. Makes mountain biking a challenge. There are some hills and boulders to navigate and the ascent up the mountain is very rocky. Lots of coyotes and jack rabbits in this park.

If you get off the main trail and take a single person hike to the top, I would rate this hard. There are a lot of switch backs but a lot of scrambles too with at least three foot upward passages over granite rocks. While this is a short hike up, going down can be treacherous, once again skipping the main trail. The best part is there are few people. Lots of quail and an occasional hawk. Lots of snake holes but didn’t see any.

Great moderate trail! Didn’t trigger my fear of heights much. Lots of rock scrambling.

great trail. Not busy on a Friday morning.

We were staying in this area so it was convenient to walk up the street and catch a trail. Nice easy walk around the mountain and took us about an hour.

Easy; moderate might be a stretch 3.3 mile hike. Some loose rocks but decent views and some really nice saguaros. This hike is sited on airport property so don’t expect a peaceful, quiet walk. Airplanes are buzzing overhead constantly. Additionally, I noticed that people using this trail don’t pick up after their dogs, so my hike involved dodging dog poo too. I probably won’t come back here again.

Relative tough hike. My golden retriever/great pyrenees mix was able to do most by herself except for a few places. Be careful to track the path, finding the spot to come back down is tricky. Low traffic, only saw one group coming up as we were on the way down.

Where's the canyon?

Pretty good hike that has some scrambling, incline and decent mileage. Biggest problem is that the trail is not well marked at all! Follow all trails!

20 years on that moderate climb. Bob and Katie Thompson trail starts at the trailhead at 22nd st and Rose Garden.

This was actually a good trail. It was rugged to me, a for real hike, nothing paved. Would’ve given up if some of the group hadn’t been using the All Trails app!!! Thought for sure we weren’t going the right way SEVERAL times!!! The app kept us on trail. The description says that the trail is lightly trafficked. This is a true statement. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail until we were done!!! I don’t think I’ve done a trail that “natural” before. It was a good choice. Needs signage tho!!!

Saturday, April 28, 2018

A very nice peaceful area just to hike and enjoy being away from the city.

Friday, March 30, 2018

Just what we were looking for: away from city craziness, away from people, beautiful views, and a good challenge. Definitely wouldn't be kid friendly, though, as it says. And bring this app along to make sure you can find the trail.

Saturday, March 03, 2018

Should be rated: hard – easy – hard. The climbs up on both sides are narrow, Rocky, rugged and steep - another words, wonderful if you like that kind of thing as I do. The loop at the bottom though is mostly flat and boring unless the neighbors happened to be standing there buns by the pool or invite you in for a refreshing dip along the way. Even so, nice work out; a beautiful hike

Thursday, March 01, 2018

love the views and nice and easy!

Sunday, February 11, 2018

wasn’t too challenging, good for beginners, trail can be confusing at times but definitely would go again

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Our family loved the rock climbing and challenging terrain; however, the trailis not marked at all and its so easy to get off course. Highly recommend the hike, but use the app to keep on track.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Great hike but not a very clear path at all. Be sure to use GPS to make sure our staying on trail as it’s super hard to get lost. Only passed one hiker. Nice and quiet.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

love this mountain. not a lot of traffic. can be easy or hard and is close to the freeway.

Friday, December 22, 2017

Fun trail. Difficult to find the correct route. I would recommend using this app to stay on course.

Monday, December 18, 2017

This was a moderate hike. Some of the trail is difficult to find. Be prepared to climb a few boulders. Have a great Leisure hime with my BFF.

Monday, December 04, 2017

I agree with the others who said this is not easy. I figured easy would mean no rock climbing but there is plenty in getting to the top here. Trail is nice though (when you can find it). The three miles turned into about 3.5.. Pretty deserted though, even at mid-morning.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Love this mountain, fun for rock hoppin.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Not easy at all, there is a lot of broken glass along with rock climbing and loose rocks. Would not recommend dogs or children on this hike. Hard to follow because there is no trail marks on the trail.

Friday, November 17, 2017

I have no idea who classified that trail as easy. It is at least moderate. Beside that, very nice hike

Friday, November 10, 2017

The only easy part is when you walk through a residential area. The trail isn’t marked very well.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

not marked so it's hard to follow. LOTS of broken glass so be careful with dogs. also, i'd say it's more moderate than easy.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Absolutely no markers, no clear "trail" at times. Not very picturesque.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

They claim this is easy, yet following the trail provided takes you up very, very rocky terrain. Don't follow the map, the "easy" part is walking the parameter.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

This trail is right outside our back door, so we are biased! We really enjoy the flowers and the critters. The level areas have been pretty abused over the last 70-80 years with mining, dumping, target practice, etc. But the hills are pretty nice. There is an active red-tailed hawk nest and a robust population of chuckwallas --some of whom seem to like having their pictures taken. There are so many challenging boulders here that it is called the "Beardsley Boulder Field". It is fun to watch the climbers.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Not well marked, and my husband would argue it wasn't easy. I'd reverse the trip, next time around.