Scarlet Canyon

Scarlet Canyon is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Neighborhood trail part of the Phoenix Parks and Recreation department but one of the lesser known trails that remains officially unnamed. You can go around the mountain or over the mountain. Mostly flat with lose sand and gravel. Makes mountain biking a challenge. There are some hills and boulders to navigate and the ascent up the mountain is very rocky. Lots of coyotes and jack rabbits in this park.

20 years on that moderate climb. Bob and Katie Thompson trail starts at the trailhead at 22nd st and Rose Garden.

This was actually a good trail. It was rugged to me, a for real hike, nothing paved. Would’ve given up if some of the group hadn’t been using the All Trails app!!! Thought for sure we weren’t going the right way SEVERAL times!!! The app kept us on trail. The description says that the trail is lightly trafficked. This is a true statement. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail until we were done!!! I don’t think I’ve done a trail that “natural” before. It was a good choice. Needs signage tho!!!

A very nice peaceful area just to hike and enjoy being away from the city.

Just what we were looking for: away from city craziness, away from people, beautiful views, and a good challenge. Definitely wouldn't be kid friendly, though, as it says. And bring this app along to make sure you can find the trail.

Should be rated: hard – easy – hard. The climbs up on both sides are narrow, Rocky, rugged and steep - another words, wonderful if you like that kind of thing as I do. The loop at the bottom though is mostly flat and boring unless the neighbors happened to be standing there buns by the pool or invite you in for a refreshing dip along the way. Even so, nice work out; a beautiful hike

love the views and nice and easy!

wasn’t too challenging, good for beginners, trail can be confusing at times but definitely would go again

Our family loved the rock climbing and challenging terrain; however, the trailis not marked at all and its so easy to get off course. Highly recommend the hike, but use the app to keep on track.

Great hike but not a very clear path at all. Be sure to use GPS to make sure our staying on trail as it’s super hard to get lost. Only passed one hiker. Nice and quiet.

love this mountain. not a lot of traffic. can be easy or hard and is close to the freeway.

Fun trail. Difficult to find the correct route. I would recommend using this app to stay on course.

This was a moderate hike. Some of the trail is difficult to find. Be prepared to climb a few boulders. Have a great Leisure hime with my BFF.

I agree with the others who said this is not easy. I figured easy would mean no rock climbing but there is plenty in getting to the top here. Trail is nice though (when you can find it). The three miles turned into about 3.5.. Pretty deserted though, even at mid-morning.

Love this mountain, fun for rock hoppin.

Not easy at all, there is a lot of broken glass along with rock climbing and loose rocks. Would not recommend dogs or children on this hike. Hard to follow because there is no trail marks on the trail.

I have no idea who classified that trail as easy. It is at least moderate. Beside that, very nice hike

The only easy part is when you walk through a residential area. The trail isn’t marked very well.

not marked so it's hard to follow. LOTS of broken glass so be careful with dogs. also, i'd say it's more moderate than easy.

Absolutely no markers, no clear "trail" at times. Not very picturesque.

They claim this is easy, yet following the trail provided takes you up very, very rocky terrain. Don't follow the map, the "easy" part is walking the parameter.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

This trail is right outside our back door, so we are biased! We really enjoy the flowers and the critters. The level areas have been pretty abused over the last 70-80 years with mining, dumping, target practice, etc. But the hills are pretty nice. There is an active red-tailed hawk nest and a robust population of chuckwallas --some of whom seem to like having their pictures taken.
There are so many challenging boulders here that it is called the "Beardsley Boulder Field". It is fun to watch the climbers.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Not well marked, and my husband would argue it wasn't easy. I'd reverse the trip, next time around.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Fairly flat hike unless you scale the mountain which is very rocky

Monday, April 10, 2017

No trail signs. Low maintained trail.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

The app said "easy", but I would rate this moderate with difficult spots. Beautiful though.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Marked as easy, but more like a moderate trail. More climbing that I would have liked. GPS was way off

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Fun trail but almost got lost at sunset not marked that well

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Nice little hike close to home! I liked it a lot more than I thought i would. Not much of a trailhead on Rose Garden, but it serves its purpose. If you go up to the top, the hike is definitely moderate, not easy. The rocks and some climbing sort of reminded me Camelback Mtn., but easier. Great views from the top and pretty quiet. Will for sure come back for a fun east hike!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I would rate this hike as moderate. No marking on the trail, easy to get off trail. Some rock climbing. There is a lot of loose gravel.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

There were no trail makers. Without the map on line it would be hard to follow the various trail branches. The trailhead could have at least a map and area overview.