Sara Canyon Trail

Sara Canyon Trail is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lake Havasu City, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from October until April.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 639 feet Route Type: Loop

great hike but hard not moderate.

Easier trail if you don’t mind some steep hills. I like this trail better than the crack because the terrain is easier to walk on.

short and sweet little trail. start at dawn to get nice light on the surrounding mountains. slippery in spots and one spot requires climbing with hands and feet. good views of lake and city from top.

Pretty steep, doesn’t actually loop around like the pretty little 2 mile loop it says it should be (maybe if you do some rock climbing and extreme stuff it may) We took the first turn in on this loop and never got to the picnic table because of the rock wall. Now the lizard rock formation view was super cool. Make sure you take time to pause and enjoy the views. I learned how to read elevations on this ap after this hike.

This Trail is okay with a good view at the top but as another reviewer said it does not go through a Slot Canyon. Following the GPS track will take you down a steep and quite loose sectiin on the east downhill, not the most ideal trail.

Monday, April 16, 2018

Amazing hike, wonderful red bench at the top :)

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

great hike. My 10yr old son loved the “crack” trail and climbing down the ladder and hiking through the narrow sections.

Friday, March 16, 2018

Great

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Cool adventurous short hike. Loved it! However I would like to point out that the reviews and trail tracks for this hike are all over the place. Quite many people doing the Sara Crack trail, which is going through the slot canyon which can be taken all the way down to Lake Havasu water edge and which is indeed longer. I don't blame them because the trail name itself suggests that (I'll propose an edit to this hike). However the hike that matches the topo, elevation and distance is NOT the SLOT canyon. It is an up and over and down hike of a peak. After about a half mile of taking the yellow trail (which follows the wash, same one as Sara Crack) look up to the right for most prominent cliff face and highest peak. That is Lizard peak and you'll be going over the top of it. Look for the trail that exists the wash on the right side there. It has a trail marker but it lacked the purple color of the loop (in January 2018) You'll be hiking straight up on the lookers right side, then over the peak and coming down on the lookers left side. In the middle of the up it has a 2 move very easy rockscrambling section. No problem if you're used to that kind of thing, but could be tough for very young kids, the elderly or if you're afraid of heights. Continue to the peak. It has a red picnic bench on top, enjoy the great view. Follow the trail back down to the wash and hike out the way you came in. Have fun!

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Great Hike Great Views

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Nice but a bit of challenge with many trails leading in many directions, steep pitches, some minor scrambling and rocky terrain. Great views at the peaks. Short but 68 floors worth of elevation gain, so overall it’s a hike that has pain but payback is in the views.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Fun little trail! The canyon started about 1.7 miles from the parking lot. We took our two old labradors, and they had a great time. There’s not a lot of shade before the canyon, so bring plenty of water.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Great hike.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Scenic and not too difficult. We spent three hours in the park, and hiked the mountains, washes and rivers. Great way to spend half a day.

Monday, January 16, 2017

I enjoyed this trail. It really was moderate. Depending on what trail you pick it would vary the difficulty of it. I didn't do much research on it so seeing the crack was better than expected. A good 5 min hike between the mountain and it was fun. My 10 year old enjoyed it. We made it to the end, and I didn't have a tracker so as I was climbing up I didn't expect to see the lake and bam! What a view!!!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

This was a super fun hike! Never hiked around AZ and loved this trail, the canyon was especially fun! I will hike this every time I visit for sure!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Slot canyon was amazing - there were so many different types of rock formations and colors and types of rocks.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Must do hike in this area. It's actually a 5 mile loop that goes through a slot canyon, to a scenic cove on the lake, and return by an elevated trail..

Sunday, October 16, 2016

It's actually closer to 5 miles . 2.3 miles in... Gorgeous trail with a lake dip and big horn sheep to boot!

Thursday, August 04, 2016

The slot canyon was great. Other than that, most of the hike was through a flat wash. There were several natural arches on the trail and a great variety of different geological formations.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Hiked in April, did not see another human around. Mountain goats, a few flowers with insects. Litres of water a must, wide brimmed hat. Wonderful secluded hike

Monday, July 11, 2016

Because of the heat, it felt much longer than the stated distance. The hike was beautiful and exciting. We mainly hiked the yellow trail through the wash to get to 'the crack.' Every time we weren't sure we were on the trail, we would see a marker. After the crack, it was a long hot hike through the wash to finally be surprised by the lake. After taking a refreshing break from the heat, we hiked the blue trail back which went above the wash and around the mountains. Bring lots of water as you will need it!!

Monday, April 25, 2016

It was a great hike! For reference (we got a little lost so want to help you) if you are trying to do the loop, it turns to the right immediately after you exit the canyon "crack". We kept going straight because we wanted to get to the water and it was well worth it. We swam with some ducks and the dogs enjoyed cooling off. Go early as it gets hot quick. If you have dogs, I would recommend bringing dog shoes for the trail back. We did this as an "in and out" by going all the way to the water where it ends with picnic tables and then turned around and went back the way we came. It has the only shade and it's more scenic. Be very mindful of looking and staying on the trail on the way back. we almost got lost toward the end and we are still not sure how it happened. probably because there are so many dirt bike trails. Other than that, it was well worth it!

Thursday, April 21, 2016

This is a nice walk and going through the canyon where the mountains close in was fun and did give the sense of claustrophobia. Once on the backside, I headed up around the ridge line for a different view. The views are beautiful and you can look over Lake Havasu and see it in its entirety. I did it 2 times in a few days.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

A fun hike especially through "the crack." You must go!

Thursday, March 17, 2016

wonderful hike. stay off the sand.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Great scenic views! We had lunch at the top of Picnic Table Mountain.