Sandys Canyon, Walnut Canyon, and Fay Canyon Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(31)
Flagstaff, Arizona

Sandys Canyon, Walnut Canyon, and Fay Canyon Loop is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 501 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice hike up Sandy Canyon, across Skunk and back Fay Canyon. There is a small amount of travel along Lake Mary Rd, but the hike is worth it. You can turn right at Sandy/Skunk Canyon for a short trip to a cool rock shelter.

Rocky for the first mile and a half or so then gets sandy/dusty. Beautiful views. On the way in, someone mentioned seeing a rattlesnake but we didn’t see anything. Took Sandy’s canyon to fisher point trail to what would be walnut canyon - we turned around right at the entrance as my pup was exhausted but definitely going to go back and explore some more.

A comfortable spring hike. I decided to take a detour to climb up to Fisher Point - which was a great decision, but harder than the rest of the trail. Trail was almost completely dry, except for a few bits of Fay Canyon that still had some ice and mud. Easily passable and many people were biking.

Very beautiful!! When we were suppose to turn left to fay canyon we decided to do the vista fisher point. Though to go up but we made it !! Fay canyon was empty and had snow built up from the people that hasn’t been in the trail!! We enjoyed this ally :) started at 8 am and finished at 12:50 pm

Lovely walk! Beautiful and peaceful.

Lovely and peaceful hike through northern Arizona pristine landscape. It’s doable by people of all ages and is truly a worthwhile venture into the wonder of Mother Nature.

Beautiful trail winding through medium and small canyons. Got a little lost on the last mile or so and ended up just running next to Lake Mary Road but that was ok too. Not a ton of elevation gain. A little horse poo here and there but not bad. The view of the end of Walnut Canyon is a great spot for photos.

It was beautiful and tranquil. It was a Saturday and there were only a few other people. There were a few steep and rocky areas, but most of the trail was flat and smooth. I would definitely hike here again as there was so much more to see but unfortunately I ran out of time.

Fri May 04 2018

Park at Sandy Canyon (you’ll see a sign to turn here on Lake Mary Road. Follow Sandy Canyon to the AZ trail onto Fay Canyon. The turn off to Fay doesn’t have a sign and I used my offline AllTrails map to find the turn off. Fay has lots of horse poop and you’ll feel like you’re walking through a meadow. Fay is shaded but the rest of the hike pretty exposed otherwise. You’ll see some parallel trails to what you’re supposed to be on that come back together but I’d suggest following the path that has the black dirt. You’ll arrive at a road eventually and you’ll end up walking along the Hitchin’ Post Stables. Walk along the dirt road as long as possible to prevent walking along Lake Mary road longer than you have to. You can walk down lower not right on road. This trail took me 2 hours and my Fitbit said roughly 5.5 miles were traveled. I went early on a Wednesday and didn’t see a soul the entire time. I’d consider this more of a walk than I would a traditional hike. As a hike I’d give it 3 stars as a walk 4.