San Tan Trail to Moonlight Trail

San Tan Trail to Moonlight Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Queen Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Head south on San Tan Trail from the trailhead just west of San Tan Regional Park Visitor Center. After about 2 miles, the trail turns west for about half of a mile, then heads north. To make the 6.7 mile loop, take Moonlight Trail east to get back to the trailhead. Nice, easy going trail. Maricopa County Parks rate it as moderatly difficult. The elevation gain is spread fairly evenly over the course. Nice views of the surrouding mountains, several nesting pairs of curved bill thrashers, cottontail rabbits, saguaros, cholla (buckhorn, jumping, chain fruit), barrel cacti, creasote, sage, etc.

I love and love I did 6.3 miles and it’s good work out too a lot of uphills and downhills. Not too hard. I def will come back more Theres several bench you can take a break.

I did this hike on Tuesday with a buddy from out of town. It was the first time either of us have been in the San Tans. This trail is the most beautiful trail I've done in/around the Phoenix area, hands-down. Magnificent desert. I'll be back and hitting all those trails. Like others have said here, other than the distance, this is a piece of cake hike on a great trail.

Enjoyed the hike - first time hiking for me in a long time and it was pretty easy.

super fun trail

Kid friendly.

Beautiful day.
Surprised there wasn't more wildlife and wildflowers.

Great bike ride.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

This was a nice, enjoyable hike with not a lot of steep climbing. I wouldn't class it as moderate but being six miles makes it more challenging than an easy rating. I don't own a mountain bike but this trail had me thinking I should have one! All of the quick up and downs and several winding curves looked to be a lot of fun on a bike.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

A little over 6 miles. During the hike, I encountered several bikers, a few hikers (mothers and daughters, families), a few people on their morning run and I even encountered a couple on a horse ride. Lots of traffic on the trails. Fairly easy- not too much incline.. I enjoyed this hike!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Completed today with my brother. Fun!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Super easy, mostly flat trail. Well marked, and lots of resting places. great views!

Thursday, October 06, 2016

ABOUT THE TRAIL
This is a flat, sandy-ish trail that is well maintained and marked. There are parts of the trail near the middle to end that have slight elevation changes - walk uphill a bit, then down - but for the most part, this hike is pretty smooth and easy going. It's a good length for what it is. Plenty of desert scenery with city views at certain points, and the quiet desert/mountains at other parts. Great to get away from all the city noise.

ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE
You'll park in the parking lot at the beginning of the trailhead. $6 for a vehicle to park; they do take debit cards. We encountered several people but it wasn't crowded. This tail is open to horses, dogs, mountain bikes, and hikers. Chipmunks were a fun distraction.

Friday, June 24, 2016

good for beginners to moderate

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Excelle

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Great hike! It wasn't too hard. Has a beautiful view once you get to the top. You can also see a burial sight. Bring lots of water if you go in the hotter months.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

I like this hike because it's close to where I live the trailer is clean very easy and the scenery is awesome there are a few people on the trail depending on the time of day you go. You will encounter horses bikes and dogs a great trail!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

This is a beautiful hike, with breath taking views of the mountains. The trail is easy to moderate. I love this trail and have hiked it twice now.

Monday, December 08, 2014

This was my first hike and it was great, I'm hooked. Plenty of other people around but not congested. Really good for the first hike or as a stroll.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Nice trail through typical Sonoran desert. Went with a ranger who pointed out a crested saguaro and some petroglyphs. Mostly level except for one moderately steep section.

Monday, January 14, 2013

We had so much fun on this trail! The terrain is very and there are many places to stop and rest. Other trails cross Vistriel which gave us an opportunity to walk only 4 1/2 miles instead of seven. Easy to find.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

There Is sand for about 2 miles total. I was not expecting this and did not enjoy it. Otherwise very easy trail. Very flat. Was expecting to go through the mountain more

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Great trail! I took my dog and 2 little nieces and we all enjoyed it greatly. There's some great expansive desert views along with great colors painting the hike. It's easy enough for the kids, and has enough desert life to keep them interested. The summer is a bit rough though. Definitely a great winter and spring hike though.