Safford (Sombrero) Peak Via North Scenic Drive

Safford (Sombrero) Peak Via North Scenic Drive is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cortaro, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Really nice views, fun steep hike. Probably best classified as Difficult for the reasons people explain below.

This trail is HARD. Not MODERATE. lots of VERY loose rock and trail is not marked well. Great views from the top and multiple routes to use but be very careful.

My friend and I hiked this today. I thought the views were gorgeous and the place was serene. I would categorize this hike as advanced. The trail is not well marked and we ended up scaling the side of the mountain trying to find the trail. There was loose rock everywhere and at one point there was a rock avalanche that happened almost taking me down the mountain too. My friend and I are advanced hikers and have hiked the Grand Canyon, Finger-rock, Picacho Peak among others. This will not be a hike we will do again. If you choose to go please be very careful up there.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Great views but some loose rocks to watch for. Container at the top to write notes in. Takes around 3 hours out and back. May see deer, javelina, and other wild life.