Saddle Mountain Trail

Saddle Mountain Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tonopah, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and nature trips and is best used from September until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,558 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is steep but offers spectacular views. The summit, at 3077ft, is approximately 1800 feet above the surrounding terrain and offers 360-degree views.

BEE HIVE ON TRAIL!!!! The trail is fairly well marked up to the point that we turned back. We came around a rock to hear a humming sound, and about 100' ahead was a hive half way up a tree. As soon as they detected our presence, they appeared agitated, and swarmed in a big cloud around the hive. Not sure if they were Afrikanized or not, but we didnt want to find out. There was no real way to get around them either since the ground was steep.

This trail was definitely a workout. I started late, but once you get to the mountain there is plenty of shade. I used AllTrails as a guide, but still managed to get off the lower trail and proceeded to follow a higher one marked by orange ribbon markers. I ended up at a hole in the rock which had a lot of scat from animals and saw the lower trail, which I made my way down to. I was able to scramble up the steep and loose rock/slabs to the near top. I lost the trail again near the top due to the blooming wildflowers and due to the time decided to turn back. If anyone is able to place trail markers at the top once the rocky portion is completed it would be greatly appreciated. I will definitely try this trail after the summer.

Fantastic hike. Getting up was a beast but getting down proved to be quite the task as well. Your ankles and quads will get quite the work out. You need four-wheel-drive or at least some ground clearance to get to the trail head. If not, the easiest way is to park at (33.4645752, -113.0431111) and walk a mile along the gravel road to the trail head.

There is loose rock on the way up. Hiking poles will make the loose rock sections easier, but are not required. There is a slight bit of scrambling near the top. You don't need gloves, but if you have soft hands then you might want some gloves. It was windy at the start of the trail and on the summit, but the mountains blocked most of the wind during most of the hike. The view at the summit is wonderful. This hike is worth it, but if you are wondering whether the hike is worth your time, then take a look at this VR video of the summit. https://youtu.be/y3KpSHupz04

I visited this trail on the first day of March. The recent storms have done wonders for the surrounding desert and flowers are blooming everywhere. Dont let the scenery distract you, this trail has some sections with loose rock and care must be taken. The exposure on the upper portion can also be avoided by taking a lower route around the false summit. This is a nice hike for an early morning prior to driving back to CA, sleeping in the BLM area means it is a cheap excursion too.

This hike should be rated middle of moderate, not hard - maybe 5 on a 10 scale. There are some loose scree sections and dirt sections, but these are easy with poles. You can bring climbing gloves if you have them, but for the 2 sections where you might grab a rock to steady yourself they're overkill. There is only one ridge with exposure on both sides, and you don't need to go across it anyway as there is a well-defined trail a bit off the ridge on the East side. Bring good boots and hiking poles, and you should be able to do it in under 3 hours if you're fit. Don't forget your water and sun protection. The only hard part is keeping the trail, there are several points where it isn't apparent, however the GPX file here is very spot-on for following the trail. Download it to your smartwatch or GPS and you should be golden. Nice summit register box at the top, and 3 separate geodetic markers, I'm interested to know why the put 3 of them up there. An RV was camped in front of the trailhead, don't feel bad about walking through their campsite if they're blocking the trail. No other hikers on the trail on a Wednesday morning, I would expect only to maybe see someone else on a weekend.

Hard hike for both going up and down starting halfway. Lots of loose rocks. Took me almost 4 hours round-trip. The best part is the 300 feet drop that when you stick your head out you feel a rush of wind blow on your face. Keep an eye on the rock markers that help greatly to stay on trail. The hikest point has a box where you can write your name.

We made it to the top on 2/9/2019. This was a great find. The top offers a view of the backside and surrounding mountains that is breathtaking and imagination stimulation. The trail is not well traveled (we saw 1 person in 5 hours) so it can be easy to lose your way. The top 50% of the hike is loose footing so bring gloves to be safe.

I went up today and it was no joke! There were beautiful views all around and crazy scenic sheer drop off ridge walks, although you can stay to the side. There was so much loose rock at some points be prepared to rock surf for large portions! There were also some sections that required two hand rock scrambling, near climbing, up. From the register it seems like as of Feb 9th 2019 maybe 8 people made it up there besides me. One thing I wish I brought along are leather gloves.

I was unable to locate the trail head. GPS took me off the road and in the middle of no where. If I try again, I will revisit the review.

Great hike! We really enjoyed the variety of terrain on this trail and the view at the top was spectacular. The uphill climb would rate this as difficult but taken slowly it was not too bad. Would def recommend if you are in the area and have some time. It took us roughly 3 hours and we had our 2 dogs with us.

Saturday, October 06, 2018