Saddle Mountain Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tonopah, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and nature trips and is best used from September until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length2.7 miElevation gain1,558 ftRoute typeOut & back
CampingHikingNature tripsRunningDog friendlyViewsWildlifeRockyScrambleNo shade
Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

This trail is steep but offers spectacular views. The summit, at 3077ft, is approximately 1800 feet above the surrounding terrain and offers 360-degree views.

There are no facilities in the area - the nearest facilities are in the Tonopah area near the interstate at Exit 94.

There is not BLM staff at this site.

This trail starts of easy but builds up in strenuousness and difficulty after about 1/2 mile. There are several sections with loose rock and one part, after the first saddle, that requires a short scramble up some rocks. The trail is not maintained but is not difficult to follow for most of the path. There are several short-cuts but it's best to stick the main, most-trafficked route. If you lose your way, look for the trail or cairns.

Take I-10 to Tonopah, exit 94. Head south on 411 Avenue until it ends - then turn right (west) onto West Salome Highway. Continue for approximately 5 miles and turn left onto Courthouse road. To the left is BLM land and the mountain. Continue down Courthouse road to BLM Road 8211, about 3/4 of a mile. This is the first dirt road with a BLM kiosk. The road is rocky but suitable for most cars. Drive south on 8211 about a mile until it ends at a dry camping area with fire rings. Continue through to a parking area with red/brown dirt. There is no established trailhead, but the trail is easily visible from here.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (63)
Photos (108)
Activities (56)
Completed (87)
David Lugo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 14, 2021
View David's activity
Teresa Mizusawa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 7, 2021
Hiking

Lots of loose rock but it was very peaceful.

View Teresa's activity
Melinda Brasher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 7, 2021
HikingGreat!No shadeRockyScramble

I loved this trail! I did it in beautiful weather (Feb 6) on a Saturday, yet I had the whole mountain to myself. The views are great. The trail was quite easy to follow up until the scree below the saddle. After that it took some trail finding, but that's part of the fun of this hike. It took me about 3 hours of actual hiking round trip, but I wasn't hurrying and I was particularly slow and careful on the scree and other slippery downhill parts, especially since I was hiking alone (I know, I know, not recommended). If you don't like heights, stay away from the sheer cliffs above the saddle, but don't worry much, because there's plenty of room to stay a good distance away. Oh, and I was very happy I had a hiking pole with me on some of the downhill bits. I read the whole log at the summit, and it appears you can sometimes see desert bighorn sheep here! A WARNING ABOUT THE TRAILEAD: It took me a while to find the trailhead because when I went to the place I thought it might be, I saw no mound of red dirt or cairns, as described in reviews below, and when I asked the people camped right there, they said, "There's no trail here. I think you have to go back on that road." So I asked another camper who had been there two days and hadn't found the trail and quite frankly wasn't sure it existed. My other clue was that the trail immediately crosses a wash, so I found a wash to cross in the general right direction and started scouting. Well, when I approached that original spot where I'd thought the trail might leave from—approaching from a different direction—I saw red dirt and a line of strewn rocks that might once have been a cairn. Then I found the part of the trail that crosses the wash. So, moral of the story: trust your gut. Or trust me: follow the direction below, including crossing BLM Rd 8212. Your road ends in a sort of big clearing/parking lot where you can go left or right. Go left. It ends shortly in a turnaround/camping spot. Look for the cairn I rebuilt or just go scouting toward the saddle in the distance. You'll find the trail..

Kurt Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 15, 2021
Hiking

Hard work. Took us a lot longer than the two hours. Very pretty! Lots of loose rock and trail is tough to follow in places.

View Kurt's activity
Eugenio Fernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 13, 2021
View Eugenio's activity
Lauren VonWiegen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 8, 2021
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

Such a fun, quick trail. Completed the trail within 2 hours. I’d say the last mile or so is pretty steep but anything a possible! One false summit, so don’t be fooled

Todd Mitten
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 4, 2021
Hiking

Fantastic trail, and wonderful day hike! Great way to kick off 2021!

View Todd's activity
Adam Young
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 21, 2020
Hiking

Most reviews are accurate about the rugged, poorly marked trail; however, I think it was definitely doable and very pretty. Halfway up you'll get to the saddle and this is where it transitions to a more tough scramble. Just take it slow and enjoy, worth the trip. Oh also, roads are rough to get to the Trailhead, make sure good clearance and tires.

Joshua Greiner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 10, 2020
Hiking

The trail doesn't start off too hard, but gradually becomes more difficult. There are many areas where the rocks are loose, sometimes making it dangerous near ledges. There are many cacti on the trail, making falling at times... a predicament. It is also very easy to lose the trail. I don't recommend doing this trail alone, or if you aren't prepared. Bring equipment, such as poles, gloves, good hiking shoes. Bring plenty of water, at least 3-4 liters, also some food for energy. In certain areas be prepared to practically rock climb. The scenery is beautiful, especially at the top. Going down can be especially dangerous because of the loose rocks. Be prepared.

View Joshua's activity
Sophia Lou
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Such a unique and beautiful area only 1.5 hours from Phoenix. Definitely need an SUV or 4x4 to get to the trailhead- once you turn off the highway, it’s a very rocky road/trail the final 10 min or so. Went on a Saturday in October around sunset, so I was only able to get about halfway up before turning around. The sunset was beautiful with the rock formations in the distance - reminded me of Utah. There was only one other group of hikers and seemed like they had the peak to themselves that day and took them about 2 hours RT. The hike wasn’t technical - at least not as far as I got - but was a good climb with interesting views. Will definitely try this one again!

View Sophia's activity
Sajal Sinha
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
Hiking

This is defiantly not a moderate hike.

View Sajal's activity
Nick Clegg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
Hiking

Incredible views from the summit - worth the slog up loose scree in the blistering heat (mostly). Although short, this is a hard trail. Not moderate as the description claims. I ended up following google maps on what was supposedly the fastest route to the trailhead and ended up having to park and traverse over an extra half mile to the actual trail. Not sure about the condition of the other road (leading to the actual trailhead), but for the one I took you need a vehicle with some clearance.

View Nick's activity
Jake House
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 18, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

I would strongly suggest that this is an improperly rated trail. I’ve been on trails much easier than this rated as “hard”. -This is NOT a dog friendly trail -It is occasionally easy to get off trail, but also just as easy to get back on the trail if you do. -The views are pretty great the entire way up and back, but at the very top is spectacular with a sudden and very sheer steep dropoff of about 1000 feet. Maybe more. -there are several points of steep and very loose shale-type of rockslide that can prove to be quite slippery. I found myself “surfing” it at a couple of points. -highly recommend boots over ankle-exposing shoes -hiking sticks would be a plus -Gloves were a real lifesaver, both up and down, scrambling across sharp rock -while it’s not not long in duration, the trail is consistently quite steep, so still a nice challenge -The trail is mostly obvious, but narrow, so there are plenty of opportunities for getting intimate with cholla and other cactus along the way. -Let somebody know where you’re at and your plan if you do this trail, as there is nobody around for miles, so solitude is likely (cell reception was decent). I started late, at 8:30 AM, got back to my car at ~2 PM, nobody else in sight for the entire day. (mildly hot day at 104° peak) Getting there/parking/trailhead: Drive all the way into the back where you see the red brown dirt and a couple of fire pits and you can’t drive any further. You will see a couple of cairns at the top of the flat camping and “parking” area, indicating the trailhead that starts right at crossing the creek and then the trail picks up from there The road is a bit rocky so an SUV is more ideal; careful and slow driving with a small car without much clearance should still be able to handle the mile-plus between the highway and the trailhead described above.

Josh Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 12, 2020
Hiking

Craggy, washes out spots, thin trail, not good for dogs.

View Josh's activity
Liz Pinder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 9, 2020
Rocky

I live right down the street from this mountain always wanted to hike it finally tried to Sunday in March .Beautiful day brought my older kids 11yrs and 12yrs old was kind of iffy about their safety on this trail was very steep and rocky you have to really pace yourself. We started off great and a mile into the hike we come to a wash of big rocks and lost the trail I couldn't find it anywhere was so disappointed I didnt want to go off trail because I had my kids. Just wish I had a map downloaded this after I came home but ended up hiking a smaller mountain next to the main one which was still pretty high and awesome views. Really wish I had a map of the trail before hand but better luck next time we will definitely go again with out my kids and try to find the trail I wanted .

Diana Garden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 11, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Challenging scary at moments! Just after you start hiking and come out of the wash turn right at the first intersection. If you walk to the jeep Road you went too far. The last part is lots of loose rocks, and very steep. If you slip there are cactuses waiting to catch you! I took a cholla in the finger which was challenging to get out. Definitely not dog friendly. The view from the top is awesome, one side has a sheer drop off. If you want to camp the trail head is on BLM land and is a popular area for RVs. I got a flat tire on my way out, so ended up having to stay a couple nights even though it wasn’t originally in the plans. Beautiful sunsets!

Rick Ordonez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 7, 2020
HikingOff trailScramble
View Rick's activity
Frank Henderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 10, 2019
Backpacking

ok, this trail is hard to follow at best. Thank you for alltrails having a good route. Several times I had lost the trail only to look at the map and find it again. This trail really isn't dog friendly towards the upper portion. Several rock scrambles and steep incline/declines. The summit was really nice overlooking the surrounding area, good 360 view. Only one person on the trail other than me, so nice and quiet. I would reccomend this trail for anyone that likes a challange.

Sean Cameron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 21, 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeOff trailRocky

I wouldn’t say this trail is “dog friendly” per say. I brought my dog, and it was super rocky. I don’t think he enjoyed it too much. I would recommend a healthy dose of turmeric for your dog if you bring them here. On the bright side, this trail had some really nice views. Super secluded, there were no other hikers. I didn’t take the “trail” that the map showed because I couldn’t find it. Instead, I veered left and found a different trail. It got me to a mountain peak. The peak, was the 3rd highest in the area, so it had great views. I got a late start(around 9am) so we couldn’t keep going because it was too hot. Also, I was over all the rocks. Overall, I would say it’s not worth it to travel too far to get to it, but if you’re in the area, definitely give it a go. There is a lot of BLM land surrounding it, best bet is to find a spot, camp over night, and get up early for a hike.

View Sean's activity