Saddle Mountain to Mormon Grove

Saddle Mountain to Mormon Grove is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Rio Verde, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Did the hike today from the South by 87 near Sunflower going mostly north for about 4.6 miles. Pretty much a hike thru the backs of all the ranches down that direction. Was not very interesting compared to the other hike options in the area. Will try getting to the upper part of the trail to Morman Grove sometime as I suspect that will be more elevated and much prettier. Will not do this part again.

I would take Tina’s advice and try to start a bit further up, as the beginning of he trail is by the highway and not too interesting except for a few pretty areas. I suspect the trail is much better further up. Still, I enjoyed it!

I haven't done the entire trail as listed here. But I have bypassed half of it by going in on Cross F trail off of the Old Highway 87 just before it dead ends.

The trail follows a drainage and has 2 reliable perennial springs that always have water in them. Lots of trees until you get closer to Mormon Grove, where it is a lot more exposed. Prime javelina country - my dog and I encountered the biggest one I have ever seen and lived to tell the tale.

One of my favorite trails due to almost guaranteed solitude and reliable water!