Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Ruth Hamilton Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 813 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Started with 8A trail head , towards the intersection of 8A/8B and then continued on 8B towards Nature trail (304). And then back to trailhead of 8A. Started recording late - total time is 1hr 40mins. This is the route shown in AllTrails for RuthHamilton trail hike.

The last 3/4 mile is all downhill and dumps into another trail. Wasn’t impressed with how it ended, but you do get a nice view of the city and Piestewa. Next time I’d probably just stop where the seating area is (just before you start the last 3/4mile). Overall nice trail

recorded Ruth Hamilton Trail

What a pleasant surprise this hike was! I was initially going to Camelback, but the parking lot was full...so I decided to take a whim on the closest hike nearby. I was not let down at all! It starts off leisurely, but the trail starts to pick up and ascend at a great rate towards the end.

good trail. took a little less time but I was running parts with a 20 lb pack. tough to find parking and probably more people than usual because of coronavirus.

Super trail for switchbacks either clock or counterclockwise

Great walk... good elevations Gets steep after quartz rock Next time go up the last hill, come back down and follow 8a for an addition loop Second time took 8a Quartz to the top and hooked up with 8B until it ends at the side road near 36th street Walked up hill about 1/4 mile until it hooks up with trail.. this loops back to the top... For more of a leg workout, take the 10’ run up the hill and then retract back to 8a to the parking lot

Hike with Mary, Mike and Tina. Couldn’t go far.

stay on the 304 then merge with the A8 and A8 only (no 8B)

Nice sprawling walk with ~100 FitBit flights of stairs and 10k steps. Had sun until after the first dip. Lots of loose rocks. Path is wide for most of the hike, just a few narrow spots. Good leg work out.

Nice hike

Nice trail... not much parking.. great for a quick morning hike

One of the nicer trails in this preserve for a quick sweat. Takes approx 1hr. I think the top is where the bench is. For an added climb, veer up the peak to the South. Its brief but gets steep and requires attn to your footing. If hot, 2L. If not, may not need more than 1L. Trail gives some nice views and glimpses into a number of other or extended trail options.

recorded Ruth Hamilton Trail

Fri Mar 29 2019

Nice trail with steep sections offering wonderful views of the city. Very busy on the day of our hike. Small parking area made it difficult to begin the hike. Many flowers in bloom.

Sat Mar 23 2019

Sat Mar 09 2019

I started cramping up at 2.5 miles. Had to backtrack and bail at parking lot.

Tue Mar 05 2019

Great hike for my dog and I. Not much of an advanced hiker but it made us work out! Would definitely hike again. Rad view too!

Sat Mar 02 2019

Great trail, very scenic and some good breaks as you're going up. I would place it about intermediate with some spots maybe high intermediate. Pretty Rocky in spots as most trails are here. Once you hit the second bench, it's downhill from there down to Squaw Peak parking. There are a couple trails that'll lead to peaks around there even though I didn't get to finish one as it started raining. one person suggested hiking boots but I've hiked alot of trails around here and the best shoe I have found are trail running shoes as they have grip and allow your foot to move around on the Rocky trails giving you better stability. My favorites are Adidas Thrashers which I have a couple pair of. Just my two cents.

Sat Feb 02 2019

A lot of people hiking. Good hike for being in the city.

Tue Jan 01 2019

So many different route maps here, though the 8b just goes straight across from the Apache Trailhead to the top of 36th. Though not long, this is a tough trail, with a steep and treacherous climb on either side of the ridge. I would rate it at the high end of moderate. Views from the bench at the top are unbeatable, though, and worth the effort. Once over that ridge in one day was enough for me, though, so we took the 36th St trail up around to the 8 for an easier route back.

Sat Nov 03 2018

I made a loop out of it taking trail 200 on the way back. beautiful nature. hardly anyone in the trail. lots of birds, even in the late afternoon. ocotillos were so green

Sun May 13 2018

I started my day searching for the 100 so that I could find 2 Bit Peak. I knew the 1A joined the 100, but wound up on a stretch of the 1A I did not recognize. Feeling a bit lost, I finally did come to the 100, but by then I was wiped out and ready to go home! Once I had found the 100, I couldn't lose it and also didn't find the 1A again right off. I knew I was close to familiar trails even though I didn't recognize anything and continued on to an unmarked trail which eventually reached the 8, and I knew my way again. I continued on the 8 until I reached the 8B, and then turned and headed back to the park. At the top of the 8B I saw someone coming down the side of a mountain on a trail I had never noticed before. A cute girl headed up the same trail right in front of me, but I did not follow. I just headed down the 8B and back to parking close by. I tripped on the 8B and nearly tumbled head first off the trail, but I caught myself. Needless to say, Piestewa Peak Park offers some adventurous hiking even though it's in the heart of the city. Plenty of Cactus flowers out today.

Sun Mar 18 2018

I started out today on my way from Piestewa Peak Park to Tatum Drive along the L.V. Yates (8), but not having done that in quite a while, I was a little bit unsure of how to go, so when I came to the Ruth Hamilton (8B), I turned off and headed back to the park. I had not even gone quite as far as I thought, but gave up and turned back. That's kind of the tail end of the 8B anyway, and involves a bit of a climb up to the peak. From there it travels down to the park, along a narrow trail with tricky footing. The 8B is quite a fun trail.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Great trail, great views!

Wed Oct 18 2017

Quick hiking trail not far from work.