Ruth Hamilton Trail

Ruth Hamilton Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started with 8A trail head , towards the intersection of 8A/8B and then continued on 8B towards Nature trail (304). And then back to trailhead of 8A. Started recording late - total time is 1hr 40mins. This is the route shown in AllTrails for RuthHamilton trail hike.

I started my day searching for the 100 so that I could find 2 Bit Peak. I knew the 1A joined the 100, but wound up on a stretch of the 1A I did not recognize. Feeling a bit lost, I finally did come to the 100, but by then I was wiped out and ready to go home! Once I had found the 100, I couldn't lose it and also didn't find the 1A again right off. I knew I was close to familiar trails even though I didn't recognize anything and continued on to an unmarked trail which eventually reached the 8, and I knew my way again. I continued on the 8 until I reached the 8B, and then turned and headed back to the park. At the top of the 8B I saw someone coming down the side of a mountain on a trail I had never noticed before. A cute girl headed up the same trail right in front of me, but I did not follow. I just headed down the 8B and back to parking close by. I tripped on the 8B and nearly tumbled head first off the trail, but I caught myself. Needless to say, Piestewa Peak Park offers some adventurous hiking even though it's in the heart of the city. Plenty of Cactus flowers out today.

I started out today on my way from Piestewa Peak Park to Tatum Drive along the L.V. Yates (8), but not having done that in quite a while, I was a little bit unsure of how to go, so when I came to the Ruth Hamilton (8B), I turned off and headed back to the park. I had not even gone quite as far as I thought, but gave up and turned back. That's kind of the tail end of the 8B anyway, and involves a bit of a climb up to the peak. From there it travels down to the park, along a narrow trail with tricky footing. The 8B is quite a fun trail.

Great trail, great views!

Quick hiking trail not far from work.

great views had to go off trail for the more beautiful scenes

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Good vigorous hike. Started at Lincoln & 32nd with my dog, we ascended the peak just to the southwest of the bench on the saddleback in about 1 hour. Fantastic view, nice breeze on the top. Better wear hiking boots if you're going to climb the peak; sharp rocks will tear up your ankles if you're not careful!

Friday, July 07, 2017

Went up Ruth Hamilton (8B) late yesterday. About 110. First did the easy Nature Trail (304) loop west to east and then swung over to the 8B on the way out. I call the 8B moderate at best, verging on hard, given the steep, narrow, and Rocky trail. It's a bit of a climb with a handy park bench waiting at the top. 8B travels between Piestewa Peak Park and Quartz Ridge right next door. Not a bad little side trail.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

it really makes your calves burn and beautiful scenery.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Great hike! Less crowded alternative in the area!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

I came up Ruth Hamilton today from the 8A (Quartz Ridge). I wasn't expecting that. I was first heading out the 8 (L.V. Yates) from Squaw Peak on the way to Tatum Boulevard but I somehow wound on the 8A, and then there was the 8B (Ruth Hamilton). I came back to Squaw Peak on the 8B. It connects to the Freedom Trail (304), which then goes right back to parking on Squaw Peak Drive. Heading up the 8B from the direction I came calls for some climbing, but then there is a comfy park bench at the top. It also involves some tricky footwork. Watch your step or risk a fall. I think Ruth Hamilton is one of the more interesting trails in the park.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

On Ruth Hamilton today (the 8B). Just out for a little walk in the park, but I took off up this more than moderate trail. It involves a bit of a climb, with some tricky footing along the way. Definitely watch your step. At the top there is a bench, always welcome, and then another tricky trail descending down the other side. I have been on it before and never seen a soul, but today there was a crowd. All the way to the top, down the other side, then back up and over, it is just about 2 miles, and it is fairly strenuous. This is a decent hike for Squaw Peak.