Ruth Hamilton and LV Yates Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(141)
Phoenix Mountain Preserve

Ruth Hamilton and LV Yates Loop is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,007 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful hike, but very crowded. I think this is a better week-day options. Be careful with your pup because there is lots of cholla on the ground, most on the edge of the trail.

Easy trial good for a run or stroll with the dog. Few mountain bikers on the trail

Good hike, crowd thins out at the loop. Go clockwise if you’d like to make things a bit easier on yourself. I wish the trail to the loop was a bit shorter, but overall, a good hike. Definitely one I will do again.

Nice hike. Great views and some green which is nice for AZ. I took my dog with me. A few areas were pretty rocky but overall I liked the challenge and the elevation changes. We went clockwise around the loop which I think was better for us as there were more challenges at the beginning rather than the end of the loop. Only downside I would say was parking. The lot is way too small. We parked across the street in the middle of the strip mall away from all the signs that said no hiker parking.

Nice trail. I took my dog with me. I ended up doing part of the loop which came out to 4 miles. Highly recommended, beautiful view of the city!

Great views, if you go counter clockwise at the start of the loop the last .2 miles finishing the loop are straight up.

Nice hike not too hard

Good hike less people once you get to the loop part. Elevation is spread out which I like too

Good hike with lots of elevation change. The trail is very Rocky with small to medium rocks for most of the trail. There are some short areas that are steep, not a scramble but you will need be careful. some areas have sharp flint but that also offers great traction. I only encountered 1 bike on the entire trail. Trailhead parking is very limited, some people park at the strip mall across the street. Trekking poles are helpful if you need some stability, I'd recommend rubber feet, there is little dirt and most of the wash areas are rock as well. great views of the city.

Such a friendly hike, everybody greeted us! Great hike, especially if hiking it counter clockwise!

Great views

This trail is a nice escape from the bustle of Piestewa Peak. It features a more remote feel than many of the hikes in the preserve. Really felt the climbs, especially since I went counter-clockwise on the loop and saved the hardest uphill until later. Lots of spider trails, but followed the recording and had no issues knowing when/where to turn.

I did 304-8-8A-8B yesterday. a pleasant loop of about 4 miles. Not difficult, really, though 8B calls for a little careful stepping going west over the mountain and back to 304. Good views all around.

Wed Dec 26 2018

Nice combo of short climbs and easy walking. Great views if you take the time to enjoy.

Wed Dec 26 2018

Well traveled, rocky, great views.

Thu Mar 29 2018

Loved this! We had a great time on this trail. Lots of cholla cactus of course, so be prepared if your pup gets a few prickles. This was an excellent trail that wore both me and the dog out. We loved that the loop around wasn’t as heavily trafficked and we will definitely be back again soon!