Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,322 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally. $7 park entrance fee

Love this trail. Have been doing it the past 20 years. We always go to the second pools as there are way less people. Follow the Cairins to get across the first set of pools. Made it to the campground where there was a lot of water going by. It is brutal coming down because of the rocks (pretty tough on the knees) but always worth the climb. A little bit of fall foliage out.

Stunning! Harder than I expected but the falls were definitely worth it! Very little shade - I should have brought more water. I was 2 hours in and 1.5 out Highly recommended

good trail, little shade, rocky. lots of water. bring water shoes for crossings. beautiful waterfalls once you get there. totally an awesome hike.

Dog friendly until you cross into the Coronado National Forest.

Gorgeous! Tons of water flowing. Rock was a little slick in spots but not bad.

Fun, scenic and moderately difficult trail. The pools are full flowing after this rain and there's even mini waterfalls. Super well maintained trail and easy to follow. It's a steady incline with a few flat and occasional descending areas the majority of the way up but nothing difficult. The sunset on the way coming back down was gorgeous, we stopped before the wash and watched there!

Great trail. Some big steps... rocky in places. Was plenty of water today. Great views.

Stream beds were dry but the pools did have stagnant water in them. Amazing vegetation growth near the pools despite the lack of running water. Rains came on our way back. A previous hike last year had water in the streams. That enhanced the hike tremendously.

Such a dope trail! Make sure to bring a lot of water! I didn’t bring enough and had to turn back but I’m already planning my next trip out! Dogs are not allowed because of the wildlife. Some step parts but very doable and the views are worth it!

The access to the trail is sandy and there is an elevation gain. Once on the trail, there are steps to climb. Then you're on natural uneven, rocky trail. Because it's a [bighorn] sheep area, dogs aren't allowed. The trail meanders and climbs through the rock outcrops. Vegetation consists of Saguaro and low bushes. I didn't find the pools and was told by other hikers familiar with the trail that the pools were dry. The best time to see pools is after a snow on Mount Lemon and wait a few days. I enjoyed my hike regardless of the dry pools and locals hike this trail all the time. The rocky craigs left me feeling vulnerable to mountain lions, but after talking with the locals, I quickly shed this concern. Vistas into the valley and along the trail were grand!

We started at 8am which kept the sun down a bit. Very nicely marked trail and although there was little water in the pools, it was still a great place to reflect on the beauty of the canyon.

I enjoyed this trail but it was a lot more strenuous than I anticipated. Very rocky and steep for quite a while. No shade most of the way. Great workout and gorgeous views!

Really fun moderate hike. I took my time and took lots of pictures along the way and it took me about 3 hours to hike to the pools and back. Went late in the afternoon and timed it so the sun was setting while I was making my way down the rocky part of the hike - just gorgeous. It starts out pretty flat, then the last half is mostly up and this is the fun part! I would recommend shoes with some ankle support as there is uneven terrain. The path is well maintained and the pools, though small, were still neat to see in the middle of the desert.

recorded Romero Pools

wonderful trail but couldn't find the extension up the mountain past the pools. will try again with a partner, not alone.

Gorgeous views and vistas. Visiting from Utah and were amazed by the desert scenery, flora, and fauna. Perfect day hike. Great workout but not too difficult. Made it to the pools. They were pretty low and stagnant, but still lovely to see the water in the dry, desert climate. Hardly anyone on the trail. Every twist and turn brought a new view and different vegetation. Must do if you’re in the area!

I love this hike. I decided to test my new ACLs and see if the were up to some elevation. Did not go all the way to the pools, but made it 2 miles in from parking lot. My turn around was the saddle before you turn a little north and go down over the ridge. For me the hardest part is the first mile, crossing the wash and climbing out of it. It makes my lungs burn. Haha!

Gorgeous hike. Was more strenuous than I anticipated. Would encourage ankle supporting boots rather than hiking shoes. Sun intensity and rocky terrain was a factor for this Georgia hiker. That said, wonderful hike and very much enjoyed it.

Wonderful hike interrupted by notice of smoke and burglary alarms going off at home. Apparently false alarms.

No shade at the switchbacks, bring lots of water. Trail had lots of hikers on it and a few were at the pools. Started around 9:30am. Pools had water in them but only a trickle for water flow

Pretty steep but worth the trip. Pack light, for sure.

more like hard!! and the hike to the pools not worth it. Poole were yucky and green.

Nice hike, beautiful scenery, go early in the morning, we are planning go again.

A major scramble down hill on the way back. Very hot, bring water. Beautiful!