Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally. $7 park entrance fee

Fun trail! Challenging but not too hard.

nice hike...went early in day and most of hike in was in shade.

Beautiful !!

Loved it

Not a long trail but very rocky. There are some pools in the end of the trail, even in February! Surprise!

Beautiful views! Didn’t think we would see much water however at the very end of the trail there was a good amount of water with a small waterfall. Definitely worth the climb!

Good trail well maintained. Beautiful views all directions. Very popular!!

Challenging

Starts off like a walk on the beach, after about a half a mile it turns into a hike . The pools at the end well worth the hike ! Had a great day .

great trail. good challenge as you climb. a bit rocky.

One of my favorite “go to” hikes... beautiful views, nice trail, and good elevation gain. I like to go early in the morning before the crowds arrive.

I give this a 5. It has all the elements that an excellent hiking trail needs: variety of terrain, variety of views and nice resting spots for stopping to snack. Our gps trackers show this at 6 miles total. It is rocky and steep-ish but not difficult (Though we are avid hikers)

It was December, sunny and 82 and there was some water in the pools.

Great hike! Easy to follow trail, the pools were dry when I went but come spring I’m sure there would be water.

Got a late start and did the birding trail first for fun. I was surprised how much climbing was involved. Ran out of time due to late start. Will be back by my estimate I was like a mile away from the Pools. Awesome views. Bring sun screen and good hat, there is virtually no shade and start early.

This was definitely a moderate type hike. Going up was little challenging with a 6 year old but we made it. There wasn’t much water there and the hike was actually over 6 miles there and back. Took us about 2.5 hours with all the stop and go that a typical 6 year old does. We started at 10am and the weather was perfect. Some steep spots about halfway up that are narrow. But it doesn’t last long. I would definitely go again when the water is running.

Hiked past Romero pools about 2 miles and had to turn back. Lots of energy used up ascending at the beginning. Lost the trail twice as it crossed dry stream bed. Good challenge.

Gorgeous views. My favorite so far in AZ. A strenuous hike, especially back but well worth it! I highly recommend. Trails are not marked very well so bring a GPS if you have one.

Great trail, my daughter who is 12 loves it and did awesome!

This is a wonderful hike took about 4 hours altogether really a test of my daughters endurance but not to hard at all. Great switch back and inclines, would definitely do again.

This is a long shot. But I left my watch at the pools, it was very dear to me, and I wore it every day. Idk when I'll be back, but if someone finds it before then, please contact 520-255-4413, or at least take care of it. Thank you. UPDATE: I GOT MY WATCH BACK THANKS TO A FEW OF YOU HIKERS!! THANK YOU!! EXTREMELY GREATFUL.