Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally. $7 park entrance fee

great hike really hot day though leave at sunrise

We have done this trail a few times. I would rate this more on the difficult side....only 6 miles but 1700' elevation gain, steep and rocky in several places, hot with no shade. The trail had greened up and was in bloom this trip. Not much water in the pools. There is a camp spot under trees just across the pools for nice shady lunch spot! Great trail we hike almost every trip to Tucson area.

We drove in and did Picacho Peak and wanted more nature. So glad we found Romero Pools. It was beautiful, the flowers are out. The ocotillos are full and blooming and the beauty of vegetation on this trail took my breathe. I will be back with more time.

I started out at 6 am, and it was so worth it, peaceful and beautiful, with so many unexpected wild flowers I had never seen, plus gorgeous views of Tucson and the mountains. The pools were a wonderful payoff at the end, way more extensive than I expected. I will be going back again and again.

By par my favorite still. Have yet to have a hike that compares!

The pools are glorious and well earned by the time you get there. Great day hike!

A great day hike, 4-5 hours. We spent 4 hrs round trip including a half hour at the beautiful pool. Fairly strenous in places but views all along the way.

Overall, good trail but somewhat boring at first. It gets better once you get into the actual canyon. The area of the pools is nice and with a bit more water would present some nice swimming holes. While I only went to the pools, I could tell that beyond the pools would become more picturesque. It looks like an adventure further up into the Catalinas.

Love this place. Hike it every spring when I visit Tucson. Hiking over a lot of rock and rough, uneven terrain, so plenty of places to twist an ankle. So while you're admiring the beautiful scenery keep an eye on where you step. Trekking poles are useful. This trail is a knee buster, and plenty of spots where snakes could be lurking along the way. Start early, beat the crowds and afternoon heat, and don't underestimate the amount of water you need. once you get to the pools, you feel like you've ascended into heaven.

Great fun hike. Made better by the 55° sunny weather (Feb 24). Few notes

• Not to soft or rocky of a trail
• Balanced with a good amount of flat and straight sections mixed with inclined switchbacks
• Very much scenic with loads of desert vegetation
• Good amount of traffic and not too crowded
• Lots of visible signage... No dogs
• Don't stop at the first set of pools you see. There are way more with a mini "waterfall" (@ 5 feet) at the end.

Great hike. Clear, cool pools.

Beautiful views, some bouldering too.

Fun trail! Challenging but not too hard.

nice hike...went early in day and most of hike in was in shade.

Beautiful !!

Loved it

Not a long trail but very rocky. There are some pools in the end of the trail, even in February! Surprise!

Beautiful views! Didn’t think we would see much water however at the very end of the trail there was a good amount of water with a small waterfall. Definitely worth the climb!

Good trail well maintained. Beautiful views all directions. Very popular!!

Challenging

Starts off like a walk on the beach, after about a half a mile it turns into a hike . The pools at the end well worth the hike ! Had a great day .

great trail. good challenge as you climb. a bit rocky.

One of my favorite “go to” hikes... beautiful views, nice trail, and good elevation gain. I like to go early in the morning before the crowds arrive.

I give this a 5. It has all the elements that an excellent hiking trail needs: variety of terrain, variety of views and nice resting spots for stopping to snack. Our gps trackers show this at 6 miles total. It is rocky and steep-ish but not difficult (Though we are avid hikers)

It was December, sunny and 82 and there was some water in the pools.

Great hike! Easy to follow trail, the pools were dry when I went but come spring I’m sure there would be water.

Got a late start and did the birding trail first for fun. I was surprised how much climbing was involved. Ran out of time due to late start. Will be back by my estimate I was like a mile away from the Pools. Awesome views. Bring sun screen and good hat, there is virtually no shade and start early.

This was definitely a moderate type hike. Going up was little challenging with a 6 year old but we made it. There wasn’t much water there and the hike was actually over 6 miles there and back. Took us about 2.5 hours with all the stop and go that a typical 6 year old does. We started at 10am and the weather was perfect. Some steep spots about halfway up that are narrow. But it doesn’t last long. I would definitely go again when the water is running.

Hiked past Romero pools about 2 miles and had to turn back. Lots of energy used up ascending at the beginning. Lost the trail twice as it crossed dry stream bed. Good challenge.

Gorgeous views. My favorite so far in AZ. A strenuous hike, especially back but well worth it! I highly recommend. Trails are not marked very well so bring a GPS if you have one.

Great trail, my daughter who is 12 loves it and did awesome!