Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally. $7 park entrance fee

Great hike! Easy to follow trail, the pools were dry when I went but come spring I’m sure there would be water.

Got a late start and did the birding trail first for fun. I was surprised how much climbing was involved. Ran out of time due to late start. Will be back by my estimate I was like a mile away from the Pools. Awesome views. Bring sun screen and good hat, there is virtually no shade and start early.

This was definitely a moderate type hike. Going up was little challenging with a 6 year old but we made it. There wasn’t much water there and the hike was actually over 6 miles there and back. Took us about 2.5 hours with all the stop and go that a typical 6 year old does. We started at 10am and the weather was perfect. Some steep spots about halfway up that are narrow. But it doesn’t last long. I would definitely go again when the water is running.

Hiked past Romero pools about 2 miles and had to turn back. Lots of energy used up ascending at the beginning. Lost the trail twice as it crossed dry stream bed. Good challenge.

Gorgeous views. My favorite so far in AZ. A strenuous hike, especially back but well worth it! I highly recommend. Trails are not marked very well so bring a GPS if you have one.

Great trail, my daughter who is 12 loves it and did awesome!

This is a wonderful hike took about 4 hours altogether really a test of my daughters endurance but not to hard at all. Great switch back and inclines, would definitely do again.

This is a long shot. But I left my watch at the pools, it was very dear to me, and I wore it every day. Idk when I'll be back, but if someone finds it before then, please contact 520-255-4413, or at least take care of it. Thank you. UPDATE: I GOT MY WATCH BACK THANKS TO A FEW OF YOU HIKERS!! THANK YOU!! EXTREMELY GREATFUL.

The prettiest hike I’ve ever been on. Done it a handful of times and the only time I was disappointed was when I was stormed out randomly halfway up. Perfect length for a 1/2 day hike and the pools at the end are awesome. Be careful where you jump though if the water is too dark to visualize the bottom! We saw a person being airlifted out once.

It's a great quick fitness hike with beautiful views!

Beautiful scenery and a real challenge for my first "moderately" difficult trail.

Romero is a fairly heavily trafficked hike of moderate intensity. It has a lot of variety though and it has excellent views. I've done it over a dozen times and it never disappoints.

This was my first real hike since moving to Tucson. I did this in mid August with a group of about 12 or so. We started about 7:45am and were at the pools by 8:55am. It was physically and even mentally exhausting to get there, but man was it worth it. There was a section where the water was 10 feet deep and some of the guys in the group were jumping off the cliff into the water. One needs to do some scaling of the steep and smooth side walls to be in a position to enter and exit the deep water sections. Water was cold but felt good after the hike. I decided to take it slow and take pictures on my return journey, so that took about 2 hours to complete, mainly downhill on the way back. I'll return but probably won't want to do it solo though.

amazing trail.

Difficult hike but totally worth it! One of our favorites to do. Beautiful views and fun to cool off in the pools before turning around and hiking back out.

Strenuous hike, beautiful scenery

This was a moderately difficult hike. We enjoyed it and the pools at the end were nice, there was still plenty of water.

awesome hike left at sunrise made it to canyon in an hour and a half beautiful countryside

I love this hike. First mile is pretty flat from trail head then climb starts for the next two miles to the pools. Trail is pretty rocky so recommend hiking boots. Great views west toward Oro Valley.

I recommend this! The pools are more streams, but still a beautiful hike.