Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.9 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from September until May.

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally.

10 minutes ago

The "pool" is more like a large puddle. But, good hike, beautiful view.

Great hike a bit hard hike in the beginning but pretty easy after that with amazing views and lots of water!

This was an excellent hiking adventure bring lots of water a water pump to fill your water up for the truck back. Remember this trail is not moderate if you're a flatlander so be ready for some hard-core hiking however once you get down to the water is well worth it leave early try to stay out of the sun but also get back before dark. Give yourself time to swim relax and give those one out legs a break. I loved it I did get stuck out after dark fortunately I'm not the most wonderful person who is willing to help me down who had a great headlamp because the light on my iPhone it was just not bright enough. So if you happen to be reading this Grayson thank you. Also bring some duct tape or gorilla tape so that you can tape up your feet if I get ripped apart.

A lot of climbing and switchbacks, and a challenging hike back down but the views were beautiful, the trail was lightly trafficked (weekday morning) and the pools were an icy respite from the heat. Pack lots of water, take food, hat and sunscreen! And start early!

Very nice hike, beautiful views very rocky and mostly uphill but you have awesome cold pools to enjoy at the end.

Steep in parts with some loose rock, but the views along the way are nice. Pools are amazing. Water was cold, but refreshing after the hike in. Took about 1 1/2- 1 3/4 hours to get there. Take plenty of water and a snack!

Beautiful!! Glad had my poles. New Hiker, definitely tired on our way back. Took 2 hours each way. Had lunch at the pools.

Overall this is one of my favorite hikes in Tucson. It's not a complete ass kicker but it still provides a good cardio workout. Be careful on the way back. It can be a little challenging if your legs are tired.

Great hike! I would say moderate is accurate because most of trek to pools is uphill, and trail is rocky (also narrow in some places with drop offs). Definitely worth it as some pools are waist deep +, and water is flowing. It took me 1 hour 15 minutes to reach the pools (I hike on a regular basis though), and about the same amount of time to return, for 2.5 hours round trip (not counting time spent relaxing at pools). You absolutely must have a good supply of water (I had @3 L) and good trail shoes. If possible, I also recommend trekking poles. I started at 7am and most of my trek to pools was in shade, and very comfortable.

Romero Pools is worth the hike.

Nice easy to moderate hike. Go at sunrise to beat the crowds.