Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,322 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally. $7 park entrance fee

was there an June 22nd 2019 plenty of water in the pool to go swimming beautiful views

My favorite hike Tucson! Definitely make sure to bring water and plan to not be up there at midday to avoid dehydration- but the views are spectacular and the pools are so rewarding.

Did this hike on Sunday, June 2nd. started at 7 a.m. and finished by 10:30 a.m. Absolutely gorgeous hike, there's still plenty of water in the pools. It's a serious tug up after the first mile so I recommend trekking poles. 5.5 RT. An incredible workout and absolutely beautiful place

Great trail! Pools have water

Does anyone know if there is currently running water at Romero Pools?

gangang

This review is for “senior “ hikers. There is a lot of rock hopping, which is hard on 80-year old knees, especially coming down. I am pretty fit but still felt it was rigorous. I highly recommend trekking poles. It took us 5 hours but we stopped frequently as the heat was getting to my wife (65). If you are in good shape I highly recommend it. The views are terrific.

Hiked on 5/25/2019 (Water/Pools were there) Great Hike! Fitbit GPS said it was 3 miles each way, so 6 miles total, rather than the 5.5 it has listed here. (I’m not sure which is correct) Remember to bring lots of water, it was very Sunny/Hot when I went; so I ended up drinking two, two-liter camelbacks during the hike. There is some shade but not a ton, especially depending on the time of day

Hiked on Monday, 4-1-19. Nice day. Plenty of other hikers. We only went as far as the first pools and climbed around the rocks and water for a while before heading back. A lot water coming down the hill. Fun and easy hike.

Hydrate is the word of the day for this hike. Make sure you bring a sufficient amount of water for this hike because there’s no shade for pretty much the entire thing. Expect to bring 2-3 liters of water. Getting to the first pools feels interminable especially if you go early afternoon. This hike is best started in the morning.

Another great trip to Romero Pools! 20190513

Beautiful day for hiking today, a little warm but there was a nice breeze that kept us comfortable and the Nats weren’t too bad. The Pools are absolutely beautiful the water so fresh and cool, went up to the Falls, it’s not that far from the pool so maybe a quarter of a mile. Remember to take plenty of water, a snack and I like trekking polls for balance.

I recommend this trail for hikers who want a moderately hard challenge. Worth the views and the water at the end was well worth the challenge! If you cross the first water you see, you can reach deeper pools by a trail. The water was ice cold and refreshing, approximately 12-15 feet at the deepest places. I even did a little cliff jumping into the water!

This trial is not for a person who has never hiked before you should be well hydrated the day before and and take plenty of water. overall this hike was one of the best ones I've did

Nice hike and the pools are very cook

Very few people on the trail, especially at the pools. Water was very deep on the lower section (7 feet) and around 60 degrees F. Took about 3.5-4 hours round trip from the parking lot with some time to take pictures. Definitely get to this one early in the morning. Not a lot of shade along the way. Trail is well marked, difficulty is pretty spot on at moderate.

Trail was easy to follow, friendly people along the trail. You gain elevation quickly, mostly climbing on rocks. I found descending on the trail more difficult than the climbing up. There was a times loose rocks that rolled under my feet. It was a hot day, I should have carried more water as I was drinking more than I anticipated. I would have continued the hiked however turned back due to limited water reserve for my trek back. Bring brimmed hat, plenty of water and wear sunscreen. The landscape was beautiful and the wild flowers were in bloom. There were a few snakes and lizards along the trail. The pools were full. We had a great hike!

Beautiful wildflowers, lots of water in the pools from winter rains. Great views of Oracle. This hike is a climb. Lots of stepping up. Coming down is slower than going up in order to keep footing on rocks. Very exposed so go early.

What a great hike! Arrived at the parking lot around 5:30AM on April 13th and it was 32 degrees, very refreshing! If you are attempting this hike, take note, I saw a lot of hikers carrying a (one) small water bottle. Stay hydrated on this trail, even starting this early in the morning, it was hot coming back down around 11:30. I completed the hike past the pools and back in about 5 hours. I take a lot of pictures, so I had about 1 1/2 hours of downtime. You will hike for almost a mile before you get to the trailhead. When you get to the head, it will be marked and you want to head off to the left. It is pretty easy to stay on trail, up to the point where you reach the first set of pools. I went on past the first set of pools until I got to a nice waterfall. I sat off to the side and had some breakfast, I had the area to myself. I had really only run in to about 5 other people up until about 9:30AM. On the way back down, there were piles of people coming up the hill. Again, I noticed a lot of people with NO packs, NO water bottles, or just a single water bottle. Don't get caught on a hike without water and snacks. The biggest fuel source for your body on a hike will come from carbohydrates, and calories play an important role in regulating your body temperature. I am not a professional, but you hear about hikers getting out and haven't eaten or had anything to drink prior to the hike. It is important to prepared for a hike as we start to enter the warmer hiking season in Arizona. Not trying to scare anyone, just an attempt to educate and to be safe. Overall, the hike was in my top 5 so far. The wildflowers were everywhere, the streams and waterfalls were great to take in and a nice change from some of the typical desert hikes here in AZ.