Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools

Romero Canyon Trail to Romero Pools is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Starts at the trail head parking lot and immediately crosses Sutherland Wash, which flows seasonally. The first mile is relatively flat and an easy walk. The next 1.8 miles is a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. Romero Pools are formed along a stream bed and water flows seasonally. $7 park entrance fee

Great hike! Easy to follow trail, the pools were dry when I went but come spring I’m sure there would be water.

Got a late start and did the birding trail first for fun. I was surprised how much climbing was involved. Ran out of time due to late start. Will be back by my estimate I was like a mile away from the Pools. Awesome views. Bring sun screen and good hat, there is virtually no shade and start early.

This was definitely a moderate type hike. Going up was little challenging with a 6 year old but we made it. There wasn’t much water there and the hike was actually over 6 miles there and back. Took us about 2.5 hours with all the stop and go that a typical 6 year old does. We started at 10am and the weather was perfect. Some steep spots about halfway up that are narrow. But it doesn’t last long. I would definitely go again when the water is running.

Hiked past Romero pools about 2 miles and had to turn back. Lots of energy used up ascending at the beginning. Lost the trail twice as it crossed dry stream bed. Good challenge.

Gorgeous views. My favorite so far in AZ. A strenuous hike, especially back but well worth it! I highly recommend. Trails are not marked very well so bring a GPS if you have one.

Great trail, my daughter who is 12 loves it and did awesome!