Romero Canyon and Sutherland Loop

Romero Canyon and Sutherland Loop is a 18.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

I spent a lot of time trying to stay on the actual trail very poor job they have done at marking it. Past the second set of pools trail seems to end. I wandered around for awhile finally able to find out that you cross the creek to the right and the trail picks up again. I had this happen multiple times. I made it in about 7 miles and determined that I wouldn’t have enough light or water left to finish the 18 mile loop. The first half of the 18 miles is majorly up steep inclines so plan accordingly for water. I had 6 liters to start, probably needed another 2-3 if I would have done whole trail. After first set of pools I saw no one, which is what I like. Overall I liked the hike because it was a good challenge, good inclines no people. Hells gate is the hardest one I’ve done so far, which really isn’t what I would call that difficult. This trail is definitely challenging. I will be back next Saturday to conquer it. This time no more wasting time with finding the trail.