Rogers Canyon Trail is a 12.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.7 km Elevation Gain: 338 m Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

The road to the trailhead is rough. Take caution and make sure you have the correct vehicle to get there.

This hike wasn't bad the reward in the end for experiencing the ruins isn't bad quite amazing actually, do drive in a 4x4 as the road is very rocky, I had to pull over to the side about half mile and walked to start the trail. Bring plenty of water, the trail tends to end but eventually you'll find it.

Great out an back trail. Middle third section of the trail has fire damage with lots of sun exposure, third in the canyon with the cliff dwellings is beautiful. It’s middle of April and water in the creek.

great long hike. make sure you have 4 wheel drive to get to trail head

Left a pair of hiking shoes lying on the ground at the trailhead :( please let me know if anybody found them! Thanks!

HELP - Love this trail did it for my second time yesterday. Unfortunately I lost my Key FOB and had to ask friends to pick me up. If you find a key FOB and see this, Please call or text 6024781064 and I will be eternally grateful. Thank you!

Nice trail; trail is good to the junction of reavis ranch And Rogers canyon beyond that several sections are washed out. Look for cairns or just power through the creek bed until you can pick up the trail.(and follow the red line). Burned area starts about a mile from the trailhead and ends about 1.5 from the ruins. Stopped at ruins, don’t know how angel basin made out. Road to the trailhead is very rough, definitely high clearance needed. Water is flowing through the canyon. Recents rains have really done a job on the road, take care.

It was a great hike. Burn scar area between .75-2.5 miles is starting to heal. Outside of this, area is lush vegitation. Cliff dwellings are located at 33*27’50”N 111*12’23”W. Roughly 4 miles from the TH on the E side of the creek.

This trail is still recovering from he Woodbury fire. We would have had trouble navigating some areas if it weren't for our All Trails. The trail is washed out in several areas, also making it more difficult to navigate. There are some helpful carins but only in some areas. Unfortunately we had a late start today so by the time we made our way up that adventure of a road - high clearance vehicles only - we didn't have enough daylight to make it to the dwellings. Had we made it, the trek probably would have been more worthwhile. I imagine that it was a beautiful area prior to the fires but because of all of the damage, it's not as scenic. That said, it's a good reminder of why it's so important to be careful when doing anything that could start a forest fire!

First 2.5 mi of trail thru forest fire, 2018. Trail no longer well defined thru burned areas. Cliff dwellings still excellent and worth the trip and trouble. 18 mi of gravel road in took 1.5 hr drive time.

The road up to Rogers trough trailhead was in much better shape than last spring when I last drove it. Though some of the deepest ruts and holes have been filled in, it is still a steep, difficult, 4x4 road, past the turn off for the Woodbury trailhead. (last three miles). The trail itself has had some damage from the forest fire last summer, and requires focus in many places to not go off trail. Fortunately the last third of the trail, and the cliff dwellings were not damaged by the fire!

The road to the trailhead is rough but beautiful. I would definitely suggest a 4X4 vehicle to get there. We ended up walking right past the caves (look up and to your right) at first but came to an amazing open clearing in the mountains, so if you get there you went too far!! A few of our hikers weren’t able to get up into the caves and struggled during the hike, as it’s a bit of a steep climb up into them and getting out, our more experienced hikers didn’t have any issues. The ruins were amazing and well worth it! And listen to everyone when they tell you to bring more water than you think you’ll need!!

I have backpacked this trail twice and plan on doing a day hike in the very near future. It is one of my absolute favorite hikes in AZ. The description says it is closed but the closure was lifted on 9/6 https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD660917

A couple things to be aware of! The drive to the trailhead is really long and you might need 4 wheel drive. Also, the trail DOES NOT end right at the ruins. My boyfriend and I walked right past them as everyone made it seem like the trail would lead right up to them and stop but the ruins are up on a random spot along the trail on the side of the cliff. There used to be cairns there but someone/something knocked them over. We probably walked almost 2 extra miles before deciding to turn around because the trail was getting so over grown wondering where the heck these supposed ruins were and I just happened to look up randomly on the way back and see them. We put cairns back so hopefully they’re still there. Please don’t climb or carve anything into/around the ruins!! It’s amazing they’re still there and lets keep them that way! And also please don’t knock down cairns! People can get lost and everyone who’s done the drive and hike out deserves to see this place!

Amazingly beautiful hike with a great reward of dwellings at the end. Just make sure you have FWD to get to the trailhead.

Sat May 25 2019

Great hike! The road to get to trail head is long and rough but can be done with a two wheel drive pickup

Thu May 23 2019

For those who are not used to 4 wheeling, you need to understand how challenging the road is to get to this trailhead. We watched 4 wheelers and dune buggies, lifted jeeps and lifted 4x4’s cruise the forest service road with relative ease. Our 4 wheel drive Subaru barley had enough clearance to make it, and we had to stop on 3 occasions to fill in deep ruts on steep hills to make sure we didn’t bottom out. Worst part is, there are very few places to turn around, once you start the steep terrain you’re committed. For everyone with a lifted 4 x 4, you’ll love the drive. If you don’t have a lifted vehicle, it’s super risky. As others have said, the trail was fantastic! 5 stars for the hike, 2 stars for the drive...we made it, but it took 2-1/2 hours on dirt and it was a white knuckle drive.

Thu May 09 2019

Great hike with awesome views and cool ruins. The road was very rough and long, my 1998 Subaru Outback barely made it and I don't think I would do it again. Water was still flowing a little in the creek. Diidn't see anyone on the trail.

Wed Apr 24 2019

We loved this hike. Amazing views, very green and lots of water. It is technically challenging and overgrown in parts but well worth the effort. We measured 4.15 miles from the trail head to the ruins. We camped .2 miles past the ruins at a beautiful site with room for 3 - 4 tents. The dirt road to the trailhead can be done in a high clearance 2WD but is a real test of driving skills.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Clover Spring to JH Trailhead

Wed Mar 27 2019

Trail alright, over grown in spots. Wish you didn’t have to drive so far to get here.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Great ruins and beautiful trail! Lots of water flowing from the rains this winter