Rogers Canyon Trail

Rogers Canyon Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Bring plenty of water, and even more in your 4x4. Start early as it's an all day affair, and bring friends!

Great, enjoyable hike! We would rate the moderate, however, highly recommend hikers be aware of their hiking ability. The hike is very remote and it would be difficult should anything unexpected happen.

The 19-mile drive was gorgeous but took over an hour. The hike was fantastic, gradual incline with a few steep inclines and declines. Make sure to bring more than enough water and snacks!

Overall a fantastic day and well worth for those who want to make the drive!

A lovely walk with a real remote feel to it. I would second Mark Rutherford - the trail is not tough and ‘moderate’ would be fitting.

The hardest part of the day is squeezing past other trucks on the access road! The ten mile approach is actually fine with 4x4 and a little care in places. The views are to die for too.

Finding the trail down into the canyon is easy and I had little/no route finding difficulties. The trail itself was in good shape and there was little brush to impede progress.

The cliff dwellings are fascinating and a great insight into the lives of those who trod the land before us.

Just to be clear, this trail is marked as hard in this app but I would rate it as moderate. There are great views and the ruins are amazing. Beware of the three way trail sign because if you are not paying attention you will end up on another trail and not back to the Rogers trailhead

Road wasn't too bad...just long and slow but the views were unbelievable! The hike was beautiful with lots of interesting plants, natural features, and spectacular views. Ruins were a sight as well. Please respect the rules when visiting them and leave them as you found them. It was unfortunate to see all the footprint on the remaining fragile roof.

High clearance vehicle needed. Road was recently graded but still rough in some areas and my 2wd Tahoe did fine. Very long drive.

Creek was dry. Ruins were amazing ! The scramble/rock climb to the top ruin was a bit sketchy so if you are afraid of heights....... The hike back is all uphill.

Beware of skunks! Came across a dead one and a live one. Keep your pups leashed.

Beautiful trail. Really quiet and serene. Loved that there was loads of shade.

We did this last year in my Isuzu Trooper, never had to put it in four wheel drive, but did the hill slow and in second or third gear. We want to go again and take the trail towards Reavis ranch, does anyone know how many miles to Reavis from Rogers trough trail? and is that part a buttkicker?

I had tried to do this hike before, but apple maps lead me to wrong spot. I did today using gps and alltrails to get me in to the trailhead. It was a great hike. I wouldn’t rate it as hard, I would say moderate. The return hike sucks the last mile and to get to the big ruin you have to do a little climbing that may make one uncomfortable, but in total it’s not bad and a lot of fun. Very peaceful, not heavily trafficked. Trail is pretty easy to follow. Definitely make sure you bring plenty of water and snacks... oh yeah, saw a good number of places that would be very cool to camp along the trail. I think I will return to try.
Drive in is rough, make sure you have high clearance four wheel drive car.

Amazing ruins at end of hike. If you keep climbing up you can find some amazing buildings from the Native Americans. It's a long drive in about an hour of desert road. I would suggest not using a car. Not for novice hikers, but amazing experience at the ruins.

Beautiful hike through the canyon to the ruins! Camped at Angel Basin, glad we carried enough water for two days since the creek is dry in late fall. Rogers canyon trail is slightly overgrown with manzanitas that we had to push through so wear long sleeves and pants. Definitely need a high clearance 4WD vehicle to get to the trailhead- it's a long rocky, steep, dirt road. Perfect one night backpacking trip since you descend the trail with a heavy pack the first day and have a lighter pack the next day climbing out of the canyon.

Enjoyable trail and the ruins are amazing. The road to the trailhead is definitely 4x4 only, no crossovers. Also wear pants since the trail is pretty overgrown and there are many prickly plants that will grab onto you and your clothing. I did see dogs on this trail, and I was thinking about bringing my own, but I'm glad I didn't since she would have been walking through the thorny plants the whole time. Also, the washes were dry when we went, so bring enough water!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

long drive in, down first but the ruins are really special.

Monday, March 20, 2017

We did Rogers Canyon as a one-night backpacking trip 3/18-3/19 with our dog. Highlights included the many spring crossings and small waterfalls, exploring the ruins (seriously so cool) and camping in Angel Basin under a starry sky. A few notes:
1. As other reviews have stated, the road in is tough. We made it fine in the Forester (4WD)
2. Our dog loved the hike, including splashing through the stream. Use caution when bringing your dog to pack out their waste, beware of heat as the trail is steep and difficult on the way up. Make sure they are conditioned enough to handle such a hike, the water, etc.
3. There are several campsites if you want to turn this into an overnight backpack. The first is maybe a half-mile to a mile past the intersection of the Rogers Canyon Trail and the AZT (Reves ranch trail). The next is maybe a half-mile before the ruins (large site under a big tree, shaded). Then there are a few more past the ruins and two sites in Angel basin directly across from one another. We did not venture any further than that, so I am not sure about others beyond. We saw some wildlife in the meadow including a snake and something small and furry. Keep your food tied up.
4. There was LOTS of water flowing through the stream while we were there that was clear and easy to filter. We met a local hiker who has done the hike several times and told us it is not always like this (other reviews we read said it is bone dry in summer/fall). Probably best to plan for the worst and pack in enough water for the duration of your trip.

Overall, highly recommend this hike and it is very do-able as a backpacking trip. There is something very awe-inspiring about the canyon, the ruins, and the meadow at night. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Beautiful hike! The trail itself is fairly easy to follow with cairns placed in those not so sure areas to help keep you on track. You will be hiking along the creek and crossing it several times for a majority of the trail. I can't say I'd rate this as hard, I found it to be easy to moderate minus the last 1/4-1/2 mile coming back out (uphill out of a canyon). For the important part, getting to the trailhead. You will be off-roading on steep/uneven grades with loose gravel as well as crossing a few wash/creek areas. This road is no joke and should only be attempted with a high clearance/4x4 vehicle! Be prepared!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Loved the views and loved the ruins. I was disappointed in humanity and their graffiti on these wonderful 600 year old ruins.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

great hike, lots of shade trees, beautiful canyon. trail easy to follow but has overgrown branches.
great day hike but start early. almost 20 miles on dirt road to trail head (hour +)

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Cliff dwellings at the end of the trail were well worth the hike in. Be sure to go to the upper dwellings. Hike itself not difficult - a bit of climbing to get up to the higher dwellings.
The drive in definitely needs a 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle. we were in a high clearance vehicle without 4 wheel drive and struggled to get up the hills. Twice the passengers had to get out and walk. one time we pushed the vehicle. on the way in the hills are long and very steep. no problem coming back out.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Great hike. Nice and remote.

Monday, September 07, 2015

well we read the reviews and decided to do this trail today. Weather was supposed to be high of 94 today so figured we would be OK. wrong. couple of important things to note.
1.All the reviews detailing the hour long drive are spot on. .4x4 def helps!
2. bring lots of water! the creek was not flowing at all today. couple puddles left over from storms but thats it.
3. trail is quite over grown, especially from the turn off reavis ranch to rogers canyon. we made it 4 miles from the parking lot. before turning around. quite bummed i didnt get to see the ruins, but from my best guess reading the reviews, they are 4 miles from the turn off of reavis to rogers canyon. so that would be about six miles from the trailhead parking lot. pretty area, but def bring pants to deal woth over growth and be prepared for a good hike

Monday, May 26, 2014

Getting to the th takes about an hour in 4x4 conditions (I have a 2wd truck, but would have preferred a 4x). We took the Reavis Ranch trail to Rogers Canyon trail from the Rogers Trough th. 4 miles down (1100 feet) to the ruins, so bring LOTS of water! 2ls each is a minimum. The ruins are off to the right as you reach the 4 mile mark. There's a pretty distinct camp ground right off the trail. This trail is heavily cairned so it's easy to navigate.

Sunday, September 01, 2013

This has to be longer than 7 miles. First you do need 4wd to get to the trail. My Jeep was covered in mud by the time the day was over. It does take an hour on the dirt road.

But the trail isn't very clear at times and I had no idea where I was going and just kind of winged it. Ended up finding the ruins and turned around asap. Hiked the last mile in the dark and wasn't such a good idea. So try doing this before 2pm.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

This hike is well worth the trip. A 4x4 vehicle is almost a must just to get to the trailhead. The hike from the trailhead to the ruins is almost down hill the entire way so be prepared to hike out uphill which can be tough at times. This trail was more than I expected. At times I didn't even feel like I was in the desert. The trail crosses the creek 26 times and water was running so be prepared to possibly get wet. But this trip is well worth it. And yes bring lots of water. I filled my 100oz camel pack and drank all of it.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

While on a business trip in Arizona a few years back, my Boss, his friend and I decided to hike this trail on our off day. The trail head is quite a drive off the beaten path and overall this is a moderate trail for beginners.

Recommend an early start, food and lots of water. Be very careful of hand placement when climbing, ran into lots of big tarantula's and snakes during the hike back right before dusk when the temps began to drop.

The Salado cave dwelling ruins were awesome and well worth the trek will upload the photos once I locate them.

Hope to get another chance to do this one again with my family.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Ok I'm a novice hiker, and I completed the trip in one day, but I wish I brought a sleeping bad, a tent, food, a helicopter, and more water (ran out right at as we got to the truck). This trail is a lot harder than it looks (for hikers that shouldn't call themselves a "hicker") fun and beautiful trail but LONG!!! Will attempt again after I get in better shape (current shape: Round)

Monday, November 21, 2011

Really nice trail. Be awere that the trail going back is not as easy as going down. being a beginner I found the climb back up pretty demanding maybe also because most of the trail is thru the dryed up river bed and walk mostly over rocks. Didnt finish it due to big clouds rolling in and running out of time but definetly planning on going back earlier in the morning

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Awesome hike! But this is a dangerous hike for a few reasons, firstly the drive to the trail head is very rough, rocky, and some parts are steep! Secondly this trail takes you down at first about 1300 feet. What happens is that you hike in to the ruins going down hill mostly, check it out and then you have to hike up and out! Tired! You must have at least 4L of water per person. There is a nice stream, but animals contaminate it so bring water filtering gear! Do not drink this water untreated! It's not year round either so don't depend on it. Keep in mind if you go later in the day and come out late you will have to drive over 20 miles of dirt road in the dark. Some sections are thick with cats claw! We also ran into some large rattlers on the way out!!! It's an awesome trail but never advertised as hard as it is! Be safe! Bring GPS!