Rogers Canyon Trail

Rogers Canyon Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

long drive in, down first but the ruins are really special.

We did Rogers Canyon as a one-night backpacking trip 3/18-3/19 with our dog. Highlights included the many spring crossings and small waterfalls, exploring the ruins (seriously so cool) and camping in Angel Basin under a starry sky. A few notes:
1. As other reviews have stated, the road in is tough. We made it fine in the Forester (4WD)
2. Our dog loved the hike, including splashing through the stream. Use caution when bringing your dog to pack out their waste, beware of heat as the trail is steep and difficult on the way up. Make sure they are conditioned enough to handle such a hike, the water, etc.
3. There are several campsites if you want to turn this into an overnight backpack. The first is maybe a half-mile to a mile past the intersection of the Rogers Canyon Trail and the AZT (Reves ranch trail). The next is maybe a half-mile before the ruins (large site under a big tree, shaded). Then there are a few more past the ruins and two sites in Angel basin directly across from one another. We did not venture any further than that, so I am not sure about others beyond. We saw some wildlife in the meadow including a snake and something small and furry. Keep your food tied up.
4. There was LOTS of water flowing through the stream while we were there that was clear and easy to filter. We met a local hiker who has done the hike several times and told us it is not always like this (other reviews we read said it is bone dry in summer/fall). Probably best to plan for the worst and pack in enough water for the duration of your trip.

Overall, highly recommend this hike and it is very do-able as a backpacking trip. There is something very awe-inspiring about the canyon, the ruins, and the meadow at night. Enjoy!

Beautiful hike! The trail itself is fairly easy to follow with cairns placed in those not so sure areas to help keep you on track. You will be hiking along the creek and crossing it several times for a majority of the trail. I can't say I'd rate this as hard, I found it to be easy to moderate minus the last 1/4-1/2 mile coming back out (uphill out of a canyon). For the important part, getting to the trailhead. You will be off-roading on steep/uneven grades with loose gravel as well as crossing a few wash/creek areas. This road is no joke and should only be attempted with a high clearance/4x4 vehicle! Be prepared!

Loved the views and loved the ruins. I was disappointed in humanity and their graffiti on these wonderful 600 year old ruins.

great hike, lots of shade trees, beautiful canyon. trail easy to follow but has overgrown branches.
great day hike but start early. almost 20 miles on dirt road to trail head (hour +)

Cliff dwellings at the end of the trail were well worth the hike in. Be sure to go to the upper dwellings. Hike itself not difficult - a bit of climbing to get up to the higher dwellings.
The drive in definitely needs a 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle. we were in a high clearance vehicle without 4 wheel drive and struggled to get up the hills. Twice the passengers had to get out and walk. one time we pushed the vehicle. on the way in the hills are long and very steep. no problem coming back out.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Monday, March 14, 2016

Monday, September 21, 2015

Great hike. Nice and remote.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Monday, September 07, 2015

well we read the reviews and decided to do this trail today. Weather was supposed to be high of 94 today so figured we would be OK. wrong. couple of important things to note.
1.All the reviews detailing the hour long drive are spot on. .4x4 def helps!
2. bring lots of water! the creek was not flowing at all today. couple puddles left over from storms but thats it.
3. trail is quite over grown, especially from the turn off reavis ranch to rogers canyon. we made it 4 miles from the parking lot. before turning around. quite bummed i didnt get to see the ruins, but from my best guess reading the reviews, they are 4 miles from the turn off of reavis to rogers canyon. so that would be about six miles from the trailhead parking lot. pretty area, but def bring pants to deal woth over growth and be prepared for a good hike

Monday, February 09, 2015

Monday, May 26, 2014

Getting to the th takes about an hour in 4x4 conditions (I have a 2wd truck, but would have preferred a 4x). We took the Reavis Ranch trail to Rogers Canyon trail from the Rogers Trough th. 4 miles down (1100 feet) to the ruins, so bring LOTS of water! 2ls each is a minimum. The ruins are off to the right as you reach the 4 mile mark. There's a pretty distinct camp ground right off the trail. This trail is heavily cairned so it's easy to navigate.

Sunday, September 01, 2013

This has to be longer than 7 miles. First you do need 4wd to get to the trail. My Jeep was covered in mud by the time the day was over. It does take an hour on the dirt road.

But the trail isn't very clear at times and I had no idea where I was going and just kind of winged it. Ended up finding the ruins and turned around asap. Hiked the last mile in the dark and wasn't such a good idea. So try doing this before 2pm.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

This hike is well worth the trip. A 4x4 vehicle is almost a must just to get to the trailhead. The hike from the trailhead to the ruins is almost down hill the entire way so be prepared to hike out uphill which can be tough at times. This trail was more than I expected. At times I didn't even feel like I was in the desert. The trail crosses the creek 26 times and water was running so be prepared to possibly get wet. But this trip is well worth it. And yes bring lots of water. I filled my 100oz camel pack and drank all of it.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

While on a business trip in Arizona a few years back, my Boss, his friend and I decided to hike this trail on our off day. The trail head is quite a drive off the beaten path and overall this is a moderate trail for beginners.

Recommend an early start, food and lots of water. Be very careful of hand placement when climbing, ran into lots of big tarantula's and snakes during the hike back right before dusk when the temps began to drop.

The Salado cave dwelling ruins were awesome and well worth the trek will upload the photos once I locate them.

Hope to get another chance to do this one again with my family.