Robbers Roost Trail

Robbers Roost Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome find! We went around 1pm and only saw two other people on the trail. Follow the tips from the review below. When you are close to the top there will be a turn off. The trail itself is very easy and I really didn’t think the ledge to get to the cave was scary at all. It was wide enough to walk. The cave itself has such breathtaking views. Enjoy!

This map takes you to the top of the hill ABOVE the cave. There is an offshoot trail to the left near the top that goes along a semi-narrow ledge that goes directly to the cave. Be careful along the ledge as the fall could be real nasty. This short hike leads to a very special place. Please be respectful of others and try to keep quiet so that others can enjoy the peaceful beauty. Too many people are oblivious to the presence of others and as to how ones behavior impacts others negatively. Enjoy the great outdoors in peace and harmony!! : )

Awesome views well worth the hike

Easy walk in until you hit the base and then truly hike. Getting to the cave is not easy and slightly treacherous., but worth it!

This trail was so much fun! Not too long, scenic, and the cave was such a treat! Ran across less than 10 people when we did this late Christmas morning. I'm glad I read the reviews with the tips about the trail start, as those tips led us exactly where we needed to go. If you have an offroad vehicle you could easily make it all the way to the trailhead by car. The trail is actually marked "Hideout Cave" at the start. I would do this trail again in a heartbeat!

Google maps took us right to the section of road 525C that road 9530 splits off of to the right. I believe this is the start of the trail to Robbers Roost. The 2.9 miles round trip makes more sense starting from here. We never saw a trailhead sign. We were driving a jeep, so continued up road 9530 until we saw the hiking trail off to the right and down the hill that no longer allowed motorized vehicles. From that starting point we only hiked 1.2 miles round trip. With our four kids we hiked up to the cave and up on top of the rock and back down. Very easy hike for our family and dog with BEAUTIFUL views.

FYI - The steep area of the trail you walk along to get to the cave is not as treacherous as some have described. If you happen to be afraid of heights it might seem that way, but we never felt in danger walking single file along this short part of the trail with our dog and four children (our youngest is five). Using common sense, I promise it’s no big deal.

Also, any four wheel drive vehicle (high clearance isn’t that necessary) could make the drive up the road 9530 with cautious driving. We thought some of the reviews had conflicting information, so I wanted to write my own. I hope this helps!

Nice little hike with great views. Make sure that you climb to the top as well as checking out the cave. Watch out for all the ATVs on the road and you will need a proper high clearance vehicle to drive to the closest TH.

Spectacular view!
Probably dangerous for small children/ pets off leash, as there is a very narrow path along rock face.
Yes, don't follow your GPS. It takes you the wrong way. 9530 is the right road.
You also need 4X4 to get up to the trailhead. It's all gravel and lots of big rocks near the top.
Would definitely do it again :)

The views are almost unreal. The trail itself is easy and short. It's true that it requires some caution to get into the actual cave, but I wouldn't characterize it as treacherous. It's for sure manageable for an adult.

Previous reviews are absolutely correct that GPS will lead you astray at the end. You need to stay on 525C until you see a spilt to the right for 9530. It's a little over a half mile drive after that.

Could not actually get into the cave, without risking falling to our death. high clearance vehicle a must.

Awesome trail. Very rewarding sight!

Having a 4wd vehicle is a must for the last 1/2 mile of the road and even then you should drive slow to avoid any sharp rocks.

Trail is super easy but there is a shimmy or scramble at the end to get to the roost. I wouldn't consider it difficult but there is no room for error. If you slip and fall off the edge it's a 50+ foot fall to the rocks below.

I didn't feel safe taking my fiancé across so instead we hiked to the the top and climbed down the rock wall directly to the right (facing the roost). Rocks are easy to grip and if you make a mistake it's just a few feet drop to a huge ledge. Much safer IMO.

In addition to the views of the roost the top and surrounding areas are awesome to explore as well. There is more to this area than just the roost!

Loved it. Really only accessible by 4x4.. rough terrain, at least the way we came. Gorgeous views. So worth it, although I wouldn't say it was easy

F-ing spiritual! Parked my car in the main road. Unless you have a jeep or something with a lot of clearance, I would suggest that. The trail is easy till you get close to the cave. You kind of shimmy around the edge. If you lean against the wall, you feel a little safer. The view... the peacefulness though! There were two people there and I got to learn about the cave- which according to the guy, was a shaman's cave. He pointed out the petroglyphs on the wall and the holes in the ground where they would grind medicines. There was a real sense of calm and clarity. On the way out of the cave A RAVEN CAME AND FLEW AROUND US AND UP THE RAVINE! It was a crazy way to depart.

GORGEOUS! My husband and I drove all the way to the base of the mountain in our Mazda CX-5 and it was a little bumpy but if you know what your doing it's no problem at all! The view in the cave is breathtaking! We were both surprised we never heard of it, we will be going back!

Love this trail! If you use apple maps, do not turn off of 525C like the directions instruct you to do; instead, follow 525C to 9530 and take that directly to the trail head. High clearance vehicle with 4wd is a must for the last half mile or so and there are a couple spots to park at the beginning of 9530 if you can’t make the drive up to the trailhead but it adds at least 1.5mi to the overall hike. Once at the trailhead, it’s a short hike and easy enough that we did it with two small children. Totally worth the bumpy drive for those beautiful views!

Nice easy trail. Just a bit of a scramble to get around to the actual cave, but overall pretty easy. Also with checking out the views from the top.

Cannot make it the last way without a high clearance vehicle...not a minivan.

Hard to find
Off road
Unreal views!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Absolutely stunning views! Half the fun was the little bit off roading required to get to the trailhead. A high clearance vehicle is a must. The hike itself was easy!

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Great hike but the gps location is incorrect as stated elsewhere. Getting to the cave looks very steep so we chose to hike to the top with my 6 year old and new dog. Great views from the top!

scenic driving
Thursday, January 26, 2017

Go...JUST GO!!! Beautiful drive out (and far less crowded than your typical Sedona type areas). The "hike" is really more of a brief walk. You go for the amazing scenery!

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Great trail with a slight incline at beginning. Getting to the cave was a bit scary as it was a long way down and the rock was slippery to shimmy along. If scared of heights not the route for you. Loved the cave and views! The road there was super rough and I high clearance vehicle is required towards end.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Not much traffic, pretty awesome ruin! On top of butte there are lots of obsidian shards from arrowhead being made I'm assuming

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Just recently did this trail. At first it was difficult to find because all the hiking trail websites wouldn't give an exact pin point location. So, a little google earth and google maps, I was able to map out a trail for driving and where to begin hiking.
To get to this location is simple if you follow your own map and NOT the GPS. The GPS will take you to a locked gate which requires you to return to the Forrest road and rethink the next path. High clearance vehicles are extremely recommended. 2WD trucks will make it with no problem. I drive an 07 Tundra on performance tires and did perfectly fine. You can either park along the side of the Forrest road and hike in. Or you can leave the vehicle at the Forrest road and trail it in to the end to which you reach i giant opening. (Hint hint....This is viewable on google maps.) Then you can hike the .5 miles to the roost. From where I parked, It's like 15-25 minutes depending on your walking speed. If you have to park at the Forrest road, you might as well add another .5 to 1mile to your hike.
Oh, forgot to say, you can bring your pets there. There are no signs saying otherwise.
The trail to the roost is easy to follow. Follow the beaten path. You can tell people have travel that path many times. You can see the trail at night, so do t freak out. If you can walk and use the stairs in a Mall, you can hike this trail. At no point during the hike, was the trail challenging. The challenging part of the entire trip was planning it.
Once you get there the view is gorgeous. Recommend staying to watch the sunset. If you choose to camp there, go for it. I'm sure the sunrise is just as awesome.
Each of my family memebers had their own camelpack of water. We barely used any of it or if any. But we had it just in case. Don't want look like those fools who fail to plan while hiking and then die.
You'll enjoy this hike because it's away from people and tourists. It's quiet and peaceful. If you have a drone, the pictures and video you take will be speechless.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Great cave with a great view. I want to go back overnight...

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Love it!

Thursday, July 28, 2016

The directions on the app aren't correct, they led us to a gated backroad. We eventually found a back way into the Rock climbing.. And it was well worth the adventure! Absolutely beautiful area. The hike got a bit scary at time, not good for those afraid of hikes, but well worth it once you get to the cave.

Monday, March 14, 2016

Loved this experience! We rode Sedona ATVs there and then made the short hike out to the cave. Beautiful view!