Robbers Roost Trail

Robbers Roost Trail is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

GORGEOUS! My husband and I drove all the way to the base of the mountain in our Mazda CX-5 and it was a little bumpy but if you know what your doing it's no problem at all! The view in the cave is breathtaking! We were both surprised we never heard of it, we will be going back!

Love this trail! If you use apple maps, do not turn off of 525C like the directions instruct you to do; instead, follow 525C and it will bring you directly to the trail head. High clearance vehicle with 4wd is a must for the last half mile or so. Short hike and easy enough that we did it with two small children. Totally worth the bumpy drive and short hike for those beautiful views!!

Nice easy trail. Just a bit of a scramble to get around to the actual cave, but overall pretty easy. Also with checking out the views from the top.

Worth the drive in. Fantastic views and there was no one when we got there.

The actual hike is pretty easy.

Any car can make it till the turn off of road 525C. So, unless you have a high clearance vehicle, park there. The app/ google maps got us there perfectly.

Cannot make it the last way without a high clearance vehicle...not a minivan.

So hard to find but so worth the long adventure driving

Absolutely stunning views! Half the fun was the little bit off roading required to get to the trailhead. A high clearance vehicle is a must. The hike itself was easy!

Great hike but the gps location is incorrect as stated elsewhere. Getting to the cave looks very steep so we chose to hike to the top with my 6 year old and new dog. Great views from the top!

scenic driving

Go...JUST GO!!! Beautiful drive out (and far less crowded than your typical Sedona type areas). The "hike" is really more of a brief walk. You go for the amazing scenery!

Great trail with a slight incline at beginning. Getting to the cave was a bit scary as it was a long way down and the rock was slippery to shimmy along. If scared of heights not the route for you. Loved the cave and views! The road there was super rough and I high clearance vehicle is required towards end.

Not much traffic, pretty awesome ruin! On top of butte there are lots of obsidian shards from arrowhead being made I'm assuming

Just recently did this trail. At first it was difficult to find because all the hiking trail websites wouldn't give an exact pin point location. So, a little google earth and google maps, I was able to map out a trail for driving and where to begin hiking.
To get to this location is simple if you follow your own map and NOT the GPS. The GPS will take you to a locked gate which requires you to return to the Forrest road and rethink the next path. High clearance vehicles are extremely recommended. 2WD trucks will make it with no problem. I drive an 07 Tundra on performance tires and did perfectly fine. You can either park along the side of the Forrest road and hike in. Or you can leave the vehicle at the Forrest road and trail it in to the end to which you reach i giant opening. (Hint hint....This is viewable on google maps.) Then you can hike the .5 miles to the roost. From where I parked, It's like 15-25 minutes depending on your walking speed. If you have to park at the Forrest road, you might as well add another .5 to 1mile to your hike.
Oh, forgot to say, you can bring your pets there. There are no signs saying otherwise.
The trail to the roost is easy to follow. Follow the beaten path. You can tell people have travel that path many times. You can see the trail at night, so do t freak out. If you can walk and use the stairs in a Mall, you can hike this trail. At no point during the hike, was the trail challenging. The challenging part of the entire trip was planning it.
Once you get there the view is gorgeous. Recommend staying to watch the sunset. If you choose to camp there, go for it. I'm sure the sunrise is just as awesome.
Each of my family memebers had their own camelpack of water. We barely used any of it or if any. But we had it just in case. Don't want look like those fools who fail to plan while hiking and then die.
You'll enjoy this hike because it's away from people and tourists. It's quiet and peaceful. If you have a drone, the pictures and video you take will be speechless.

Great cave with a great view. I want to go back overnight...