Robbers Roost Trail

Robbers Roost Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Once you turn off the 89A you will be driving down the fairly well maintained gravel road for quite a bit. The road for Robbers Roost is 525c. There will be a fork by a sign the says, “Maintained Yavapai Road Ends” - you want to stay left. This will lead you past a small ranch then a little after is one area to park if you do not have a high clearance vehicle. You can continue driving up the trail if you do and park right at the trailhead instead of walking the few miles from the first parking area.

BEAUTIFUL HIKE.

Apple maps & google maps are terribly misleading. Once you turn off the 89A you will be driving down the fairly well maintained gravel road for quite a bit. The road for Robbers Roost is 525c, DO NOT FORGET THIS. At one point, there is a fork by a sign the says, “Maintained Yavapai Road Ends” . The right (rougher road) is where our maps told us to go but you want to stay LEFT. The road on the right will lead you down a rough road that ends at a gate that will lead you down a dirt trail that then takes you to the road & past the small ranch you could have driven by. The left will lead you past a small ranch then a little after is one area to park if you do not have a high clearance vehicle. You can continue driving up the trail if you do and park right at the trailhead instead of walking the few miles from the first parking area. We did not have to engage the 4x4 at all for this part. Then it is a fairly easy but steep hike. We had to wander around the top to find the cave but when we did, IT WAS GORGEOUS. My bf brought his blue heeler who had no issues get up there. We did not take him all the way to the cave because it is a very small, narrow ledge with no rails.

I echo the Apple Maps problem. Even after reading the reviews I still missed the turn off and immediately saw that the route was inaccurate. Make sure to watch out for the turn off when you get 1.5 miles away from the trailhead. The hike up the trail was pretty easy but the spot where you are supposed to go right and head toward the cave is not well identified. I used the All Trails app to navigate when to turn off and it worked perfect. Once we got to the rock we did find that the only path in to the cave was a trail that leads you to walk around the side of a rock that looks worse than it is. But this was the only path to get in to the cave. The views once you get there are awesome, great pictures, and just very peaceful. Well worth the long drive. This was our last hike before traveling back home and we couldn't have picked a better one. Highly recommend!!

Going to the trail, stay on Sycamore Trail, do not follow the deviation off Sycamore that Apple Maps shows. Good amount of parking at the trail start.

Hike up the dirt road to the the red mountain on your right. The trail goes down and then up to the cave. Just before you reach the cave there is a very narrow and steep area to cross.

The cave inside is big and has awesome views! This hike was better than I expected. Worth the 45 minute drive from Sedona to do it.

I ended up on the Outlaw OHV trail due to my map directions. Yes, I did read the reviews prior to going. There was no sign for sycamore pass road. I ended up on the OHV trail in my SUV, which was not the best idea. I turned around since I still had 5 miles of crazy terrain to go without any directions. Bummed

Such a cool trail. An easy rocky road up to the head, which isn’t marked well. A down and up that looses you near the left ha d turn to the cave. There are a couple of arrows scratched on rocks to point the way. The views where amazing and the cave is super cool. You can climb to the top of the hill as well for some great views.

This trail is awesome and for the most part, very easy. There is a very narrow ledge at the top to access the cave but the view is spectacular from the cave. We did see some other people along the trail but we had a half hour to ourselves when we got to the top.

Great views from the Roost!! DO NOT follow the directions on the app to the trailhead. The directions lead you to an ATV trail. Stay on Sycamore Pass Road when you arrive to a sign that reads end of maintained road. Sycamore Pass road is maintained. The trailhead is not clearly marked which is not the apps fault. Once on the trail the beginning of the hike is up a rocky road. The end of the hike is not marked correctly. Make sure to stay to the left and go around the rocks to see and enter the roost. Again great views just not well marked.

Dope ,smoked weed and camped out at this place

Easy family hike! The end around the side of the mountain towards the roost is a little dicey, but not too difficult. Great, easy, fun hike with beautiful views!

Awesome find! We went around 1pm and only saw two other people on the trail. Follow the tips from the review below. When you are close to the top there will be a turn off. The trail itself is very easy and I really didn’t think the ledge to get to the cave was scary at all. It was wide enough to walk. The cave itself has such breathtaking views. Enjoy!

This map takes you to the top of the hill ABOVE the cave. There is an offshoot trail to the left near the top that goes along a semi-narrow ledge that goes directly to the cave. Be careful along the ledge as the fall could be real nasty. This short hike leads to a very special place. Please be respectful of others and try to keep quiet so that others can enjoy the peaceful beauty. Too many people are oblivious to the presence of others and as to how ones behavior impacts others negatively. Enjoy the great outdoors in peace and harmony!! : )

Awesome views well worth the hike

Easy walk in until you hit the base and then truly hike. Getting to the cave is not easy and slightly treacherous., but worth it!

This trail was so much fun! Not too long, scenic, and the cave was such a treat! Ran across less than 10 people when we did this late Christmas morning. I'm glad I read the reviews with the tips about the trail start, as those tips led us exactly where we needed to go. If you have an offroad vehicle you could easily make it all the way to the trailhead by car. The trail is actually marked "Hideout Cave" at the start. I would do this trail again in a heartbeat!

Google maps took us right to the section of road 525C that road 9530 splits off of to the right. I believe this is the start of the trail to Robbers Roost. The 2.9 miles round trip makes more sense starting from here. We never saw a trailhead sign. We were driving a jeep, so continued up road 9530 until we saw the hiking trail off to the right and down the hill that no longer allowed motorized vehicles. From that starting point we only hiked 1.2 miles round trip. With our four kids we hiked up to the cave and up on top of the rock and back down. Very easy hike for our family and dog with BEAUTIFUL views.

FYI - The steep area of the trail you walk along to get to the cave is not as treacherous as some have described. If you happen to be afraid of heights it might seem that way, but we never felt in danger walking single file along this short part of the trail with our dog and four children (our youngest is five). Using common sense, I promise it’s no big deal.

Also, any four wheel drive vehicle (high clearance isn’t that necessary) could make the drive up the road 9530 with cautious driving. We thought some of the reviews had conflicting information, so I wanted to write my own. I hope this helps!

Nice little hike with great views. Make sure that you climb to the top as well as checking out the cave. Watch out for all the ATVs on the road and you will need a proper high clearance vehicle to drive to the closest TH.

Spectacular view!
Probably dangerous for small children/ pets off leash, as there is a very narrow path along rock face.
Yes, don't follow your GPS. It takes you the wrong way. 9530 is the right road.
You also need 4X4 to get up to the trailhead. It's all gravel and lots of big rocks near the top.
Would definitely do it again :)

The views are almost unreal. The trail itself is easy and short. It's true that it requires some caution to get into the actual cave, but I wouldn't characterize it as treacherous. It's for sure manageable for an adult.

Previous reviews are absolutely correct that GPS will lead you astray at the end. You need to stay on 525C until you see a spilt to the right for 9530. It's a little over a half mile drive after that.

Could not actually get into the cave, without risking falling to our death. high clearance vehicle a must.

Awesome trail. Very rewarding sight!

Having a 4wd vehicle is a must for the last 1/2 mile of the road and even then you should drive slow to avoid any sharp rocks.

Trail is super easy but there is a shimmy or scramble at the end to get to the roost. I wouldn't consider it difficult but there is no room for error. If you slip and fall off the edge it's a 50+ foot fall to the rocks below.

I didn't feel safe taking my fiancé across so instead we hiked to the the top and climbed down the rock wall directly to the right (facing the roost). Rocks are easy to grip and if you make a mistake it's just a few feet drop to a huge ledge. Much safer IMO.

In addition to the views of the roost the top and surrounding areas are awesome to explore as well. There is more to this area than just the roost!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Loved it. Really only accessible by 4x4.. rough terrain, at least the way we came. Gorgeous views. So worth it, although I wouldn't say it was easy

Saturday, May 27, 2017

F-ing spiritual! Parked my car in the main road. Unless you have a jeep or something with a lot of clearance, I would suggest that. The trail is easy till you get close to the cave. You kind of shimmy around the edge. If you lean against the wall, you feel a little safer. The view... the peacefulness though! There were two people there and I got to learn about the cave- which according to the guy, was a shaman's cave. He pointed out the petroglyphs on the wall and the holes in the ground where they would grind medicines. There was a real sense of calm and clarity. On the way out of the cave A RAVEN CAME AND FLEW AROUND US AND UP THE RAVINE! It was a crazy way to depart.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

GORGEOUS! My husband and I drove all the way to the base of the mountain in our Mazda CX-5 and it was a little bumpy but if you know what your doing it's no problem at all! The view in the cave is breathtaking! We were both surprised we never heard of it, we will be going back!

Monday, May 01, 2017

Love this trail! If you use apple maps, do not turn off of 525C like the directions instruct you to do; instead, follow 525C to 9530 and take that directly to the trail head. High clearance vehicle with 4wd is a must for the last half mile or so and there are a couple spots to park at the beginning of 9530 if you can’t make the drive up to the trailhead but it adds at least 1.5mi to the overall hike. Once at the trailhead, it’s a short hike and easy enough that we did it with two small children. Totally worth the bumpy drive for those beautiful views!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Nice easy trail. Just a bit of a scramble to get around to the actual cave, but overall pretty easy. Also with checking out the views from the top.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Cannot make it the last way without a high clearance vehicle...not a minivan.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Hard to find
Off road
Unreal views!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Absolutely stunning views! Half the fun was the little bit off roading required to get to the trailhead. A high clearance vehicle is a must. The hike itself was easy!