Rincon Peak Trail

Rincon Peak Trail is a 13.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Benson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Yes the 13 miles listed on top of the page is not correct. The rating as difficult is correct though. I've done this hike and it was over 16 miles when we got back to the truck, per my Garmin and the signs. And it is a pull for sure. I actually gave up when I was about 1/2 mile from the peak. But summoned the energy to go all the way after a short break. It is definitely an all day adventure. Camping over night up in Happy Valley would be a great way to break this up into 2 shorter days. Nice spots to camp all over up there. We did this in late May, and I wouldn't recommend that either. It was hot and we almost ran out of water on the walk back. And we carried a lot!! Beautiful views obviously when on top, and another island range peak in southern Arizona bagged. And yes, as someone else posted, the last 1/2 mile or so is really steep!!!

Forest service has this listed as 16.2 miles round trip. My GPS clocked it at 15.4. Definitely more than 13 though. Had a great time on this hike but it's a days work. I was hiking for about 8 hours. Great views from the top and several spots along the way. Camping sites available as well about midway.

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Incredible hike! Arizona rates their trails 1-5 5 being hardest and this is a 5! It's pretty good till the .5 mile marker to the peak. Then it is literally more than a 45 degree angle climb to the top! Insane yet well worth it. I live 10 miles from the mountain and look at it everyday knowing I've been to the tip top!