Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to South Kaibab Trailhead

Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to South Kaibab Trailhead is a 20.5 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near North Rim, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Arizona Office of Tourism, 2702 N. 3rd St., Suite 4015 , Phoenix, AZ, 85004, Phone: 888-520-3434, Fax: 602-240-5432, mfioritt@pni.com

An incredible journey. I hiked from North to South rim in a little under 12 hours because I took a lot of breaks on the south side to hide from the blistering sun. Take a lot of water and rest often and this is a hike you'll never forget!

Completed Rim to Rim to Rim ... Bright Angel to North Kaibab and back in 30 hours. Over packed with a 30pd pack. Could do it in 20-24 hours with just essentials ... spectacular hike. Better to either do it segments and take your time or pack lite and go one long push. If you like to hike and want to test yourself in some incredible geography, this is the hike for you.

What a SPECTACULAR hike! A group of us just completed this in a day. We had time constraints on a last minute trip plan and chose to accept the challenge rather than not do it at all. What an incredible experience! Starting at the South Kaibab TH at 6am, I reached the North Kaibab TH at 5:30pm while others in my party were 25-30 minutes earlier. Total distance recorded by my GPS was 23 miles in 10.5 hours including in a short detour to Ribbon Falls for lunch. If this is an item on your bucket list, just make sure you're ready for the significant elevation gain that comes at the end of a long day. Definitely an epic adventure I'd do again in a heartbeat!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Wow-what a trail. Only had time for 4.5 miles ( Trail head to almost Roaring Springs. (decent 3,500 feet)
Great views. Water and restrooms at Supai Tunnel.Weather was great, but got hotter as you decent.

Monday, September 26, 2016

we hiked from the south rim to the north in 4 days and took some side hikes along the way. one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. so beautiful and humbling is the canyon. so much history to see! no place on earth like it.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Did south rim to north and then back again 4 years ago... The most awesome hike possible. Took 4 days and enjoyed the views and only took a few hundred pics.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Friday, May 27, 2016

The most incredible thing about this experience (it's much more than just a hike) is that you travel through different biomes and experience incredible geology all along the way. You have to train for this hike with at least 25 lb over a few months, because, warning: Devil's Corkscrew really was created by Satan. Do due diligence in prepping and packing (REI was super helpful), and with a little luck you'll get back country permits for October, which was perfect. We did it over 3 days, 2 nights. Pace yourself, and be prepared for an epic, nonstop Stairmaster experience on the switchbacks out. It's all worth it.

Thursday, December 03, 2015

Experiencing the Grand Canyon in the entirety of the rim to rim hike was rewarding as it was strenuous. My partner and I completed this trip in a 4 day, rim to rim and back, trip in the middle of December and I would recommend it to anyone contemplating between hiking it the summer versus winter season to experience it in the winter. The way the landscape revealed itself to us from underneath layers of fresh snow was breathtaking!

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Absolutely amazing experience.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Nonstop R2R2R in 17 hrs! Epic over night trek.....

Friday, July 03, 2015

A friend of mine and I did this hike from south to north at the end of June this year leaving from the South Rim on the Bright Angel trail. The heat was pretty ridiculous. It was over 90 degrees before the sun came up and over 100 degrees for five hours in the middle of the day, hitting a high of 113.7. We elected to take a side hike over to Ribbon Falls early in the afternoon to cool off. I would definitely recommend that to anyone who does this hike in the summer. Use every opportunity possible to wet your clothing in the creeks and at water sources along the trail. Because of the time we spent in the pools below the falls, we started and finished the hike with our headlamps. In addition to water reservoirs, take a bottle and some Gatorade mix to make sure you replace your electrolytes- you're going to sweat a lot!

I do think this would have been more enjoyable to do over two days instead of one but we weren't able to get a camping permit for the days we wanted to go. You are able to camp in a special section of the North Rim Campground without a permit or any advanced notice. This is a special section of the campground reserved for hikers and backpackers and is separate from the rest of the campground. You can ignore anyone who tells you the campground is full and has no more spots. They will be talking about the main section with reservable spots for cars and RVs. Keep in mind, however, the campground entrance is another mile and a half from the North Kaibab trailhead and your spot will be an additional 1/4 mile into the campground. That may not sound like much, but by the time you are done with a full day of hiking and have spent the last bit of daylight hiking up the steepest part of the trail on your final scraps of energy, that sign that says "campground 1.5 miles" and points you directly up a seemingly endless hill is enough to break any spirit you've got left.

We planned to get up in the morning and hike back, but changed our minds by the time we reached Roaring Springs on our way up the North Kaibab trail. We took a shuttle back to the South Rim the next morning. If you also prefer that idea, make sure you have called to make a reservation before 6:00 AM. Shuttles leave at 7:00 AM and 2:00 PM from the general store, but only if you've made a reservation.

Beware of mule poo.

Thursday, April 09, 2015

I did the North to South Rim hike the first week of November. Took Transcanyon Shuttle from South to North so we had a noon start. First day was rough and we only made it 6 miles in. Got a 6am start the next day and finished up the hike. Took lots of breaks and photo ops. I have minimal hiking experience. The descent down North Rim is a killer. All I can say is a pair of excellent hiking boots goes a long way. It took us an hour just to go a mile down the start of North Rim due to my crappy boots and carrying too much gear. Even though I had a terrible start, I would do it again! The silence is uncanny and tranquil, no kind of silence I have ever heard. There were some day hikers on the North but very minimal. We ran into maybe a dozen hikers/runners going through the box. The days were cool and comfortable and the nights were not as freezing as I thought it would be. If this is the first time, take the time to see the sights. It is amazing and humbling. Rushing through for the sake of time or bragging rights would be a disservice to the experience of hiking a truly grand canyon. The best part is the bottom of the canyon, like something out of the Lord of the Rings. Very diverse terrain, plenty of running streams waterfalls here and there. I liked North Rim a whole lot better than South.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

If you want to cross the Grand Canyon this is the best way to go. North to South. A hike of a lifetime. We went with an organized group from the South Rim to the North Rim and then back to the South Rim the next day. Beautiful and so rewarding to have completed this run/hike! Make sure you take all the essentials and a 70 oz water capacity. Plan your trip early or late in the season for coolest temperatures. The North rim is easier to go down then up! I hiked from the North Rim to Ribbon Falls and back up the N
Rim (16 miles) This is another beautiful hike, start early (5 am) to enjoy the cooler temps. Enjoy the solitude and grandness of this amazing national treasure! It took me 5 hours to run from the North to South Rim.

Sunday, October 12, 2014