Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village

Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village is a 21.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near North Rim, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Point to Point

Four days across the Grand Canyon you will never forget! There is a secret to a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim hike: Take four days to do it, even if you can do it in one. - Spend time at Ribbon Falls? It's a destination unto itself. - Spend a couple of hours at Phantom Ranch hanging out with other hikers - Feel the incredible night breeze at Cottonwood Camp. - See the sunset at Plateau Point, which must be seen to be believed. So, take your time--take four days for the hike. Each day's trek is six miles or so, and you have all kinds of time to actually see the Canyon and marvel at its beauty. Spend your first night at Cottonwood Camp, and marvel at the lights from the North Rim Lodge twinkling a mile above you. Spend the second at Bright Angel Campground, and enjoy a steak dinner at Phantom Ranch. Spend your third night at Indian Garden, and just relax. The fourth day's hike out is much easier, since you are already nearly halfway up the south rim.

I’ve done the R2R five times and can’t imagine getting tired of it. If you’re thinking of it as a bucket list item, it’s worthy. Don’t skip Ribbon Falls.

Did it first with my wife when I was 66. Second time with my two daughters at 68. Spent three nights in the canyon and would do it again. I don’t agree that you have to be in tip top shape but it would help. Take your time, observe and enjoy. It’s not a race and as long as you hike out you WIN!!! That being said you must be careful with the heat and hydration.

Exhausting and epic!! The vast and varied scenery along the way is unbelievable. Be prepared! Do not do this without adequate training and supplies. Hiking poles are a great asset! Make sure shoes fit correctly. I bruised my toes going down eight miles not having my boots laced correctly or not fitting right.
Bring layers. It was cold at the rims and very hot crossing the box at the bottom in May. I love this place. It’s a very Grand Canyon indeed!

amazing way to spend a day hiking.

This was my first time doing the R2R. I just want to say it was so amazing! Loved every moment backpacking through the north to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Amazing waterfalls my group saw along the way was spectacular! I would totally do this again.

One of the best trails in the country. Highly recommend it.

This was such an awesome hike. Took four days to hike it.

Absolutely awesome introduction into backpacking. Spent 3 nights in the canyon. Cottonwood, Bright Angel and Indian Garden Campsites. Must see is Ribbon Falls and Plateau Point. Views are breathtaking throughout the hike. Day 1 is a tough downhill decent and day 4 is uphill the whole way. Highly recommend.

We went the opposite way of Bright Angle to N Kaibab. Steep climb and with a pack was brutal, but what amazing views

We loved this one second time for me and wife wants to do it again

was amazing and the climb up the north rim was tough 7 miles and about 5000' in elevation. loved it!!!!

Spectacular!!! Did it as a long day hike. Later in October gave us some very favorable weather. Never too hot and never too cold.

Hard- yes but worth every sore muscle. Absolutely amazing!!

We did 3 days and 2 nights. Just amazing and beautiful. Looking for to do it again.

What a hike! Seemed as though every bend brought new beautiful views. This is a must do for anyone that enjoys a challenge. Planning on making this hike a yearly tradition.

10/10/2017 We hiked North Kaibab down to Phantom Ranch in about 5 hours. The weather was cool and the fall colors in the canyon were beautiful. We played too long at the beach and didn’t leave until 3 pm. Didn’t have time to see much of Indian Garden just passed right through. Had to use our cell phones for light on the trail as the sun goes down around 6:15 this time of year. Made it out at 8pm. Wasn’t planning on hiking in the dark but saw the most spectacular star show in the sky!

I hiked this on 10/12/2017. Left the North Rim about 5:45am, and made it down to the Coconino overlook just before dawn. I stopped at Phantom Ranch for a little lunch break, and water refill, and then started up the Bright Angel Trail. Indian Gardens is a nice place to rest and soak tired feet in the creek before finishing up the last few miles. I wasn't setting any speed records, but the scenery was well worth taking my time, and the fall weather was perfect. I poked my head out of the canyon at the BA trailhead about 5:45pm, and enjoyed a much deserved pizza and beer over at the pizza place near the backcountry office.

Left North Rim on Oct 9, 2017 about 8:30am and arrived at Phantom Ranch about 2:30pm....gorgeous fall scenery and weather. Overnighted in one of the cabins and left the following morning at 6:30 and got to South Rim about 12:00. Temperatures were very accommodating, portions of hike were quite challenging.

The hike was challenging, but well worth it ! Trekking poles came in handy. Hydrate and electrolytes are a must. The scenery was breathtaking and was a perfect time of year to do the hike. Fall colors were out.

Saturday we went down the North Rim as far as Ribbon Falls and came back up the same way, through Cottonwood Campground and the Manzinita rest stop (17 miles total). Scenery is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, but it's definitely a tough trail if you're not as experienced. Make sure you're taking in electrolytes when you hydrate, pace yourself accordingly and listen to your body!

Just finished this trail and loved the views throughout. The stop off to ribbon falls was worth the pain once we got to the phantom lodge for the evening. I look forward to planning the next hike through here.

Rim to Rim yesterday, September 11, 2017. Started at 1:30a on the North Rim and finished just before 6pm.

Hike down the North Kaibab went fast. Cool temps (40s) made it an easy hike. Temps fluctuated all the way down with hot and cold pockets. Taking a thermal just took up space and weight because I didn't wear it for the vast majority of the hike. Should've left it in the car.

Got to Supai tunnel in about an hour and made it to Cottonwood just before sunrise. Bats came out at dawn but didn't bother us. The stretch from dawn to Phantom Ranch (about three and a half hours) seemed especially long but was a pretty easy trek. (I put away my hiking poles for most of it.)

Sun came out just before Phantom Ranch which warmed things up. Made it to PR around 9:15 and stayed there about thirty minutes. A lemonade and a post card later and we were ready to head out. PRO TIP: Buy a bag of ice and fill your Camelbak/water bottle with it. Another hiker shared some of his with me and it made all the difference during the upcoming hot hike.

Left PR about 9:45 and both the heat and uphill areas began. Long stretches of full sun and intermittent shade sapped my group's energy. High got to only 97, but after 15+ miles, it's a beating. Took water and shade breaks about every 45 minutes until we got to Indian Gardens about 1:45-2:00.

My other companions decided to take a long break here, but I needed to catch a flight and left around 2:30pm. This last stretch is an absolute beating. Cloud cover cooled off the trail, but didn't make it any less steep. Add that to the massive increase in traffic and you've got a slow climb up up up to the top. Took about 45 minutes to reach the 3 Mile rest house and then another 45 to reach the 1.5 mile rest house. The final ascent took about an hour landing me at 15:56 total time. My other two companions made it in just under 19 hours.

An unbelievable hike from top to bottom to top. Rest, hydrate, and refuel whenever you can. Went through 6-8L of water and 4L of electrolyte drink plus two dozen or so energy gels.

A fantastic, beautiful, rugged, unforgiving, unbelievable hike. But train well, come prepared, and just keep moving forward. You'll make it.

Probably one of the best experience in our life.

We hiked this trail in 12 hours in the hottest day of the year at the end of July. The temperature at Phantom ranch is the same as Phoenix and it is even 15 degrees hotter in the 'box'. We left at 3 am hiking down using headlights, We were at Cottonwood Camp by 6 am. When you reach Cottonwood Camp, don't stop, keep going. It's a race between you and the sun. YOU DON'T WANNA BE IN THE BOX FROM 10am-4pm. We were in the Phantom ranch at 9 am and after a short rest we started hiking up. Bring a lot of water and don't risk getting stuck in the box in the middle of the day.
Perfect adventure and a must do. If you are in good shape, just bring water and some snacks and enjoy the perfect views and hike ....

One of the best hiking experiences ever: This will make you a happier person overall, the level of accomplishment is high, you'll see views out of this world. I did this hike in 3 days. NR to Phantom Ranch in day 1, to Indian Garden in day 2 and to SR in day 3. I went solo during July and the hottest was 105 around Cottonwood. The only weird thing was that my two GPS went crazy around the "Box" the area North of Phantom Ranch. It was beautiful but intimidating, it looks like a labyrinth with no end, but you won't get lost because the Trail is very well maintained. I hiked even during the hottest hours because I did not want to miss a single view, and it paid off. Only do this if you are comfortable in the heat and enjoy it. If not, hike in the darkness but miss the views. I missed Ribbon Falls because the bridge was out of commission and Plateau Point which I kind of regret because I was exhausted. But I can always go back and I will! This is one of my three albums : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155596846852241.1073741843.642677240&type=1&l=43e1432de9 covering from Phantom Ranch to the South Rim. Some of the essential items in this hike are a camel pack, a plastic coffee cup and electrolyte powder. Not a good idea to put powder in your camel pack and the plastic coffee cup was very useful to mix the powder in the water stations.
Altitude changes : North Rim : 8200 ft, Cottonwood : 4000 ft, Phantom Ranch : 2500 ft, Indian Camp : 3800 ft, South Rim 6800 ft, all aprox. Distance between places average 7 miles.

This is epic day hike! Did the hike over July 4th holiday this year and it was hoooooot. Temp reached >110 F at the bottom of the canyon and i myself used 8L of water. We started from North Rim around 7 am and hoped to get to South Rim at 7 pm the same day. But it was so hot at the bottom that we stopped more than we expected. The trail at the bottom is along a creek. Strongly suggest to use the creek water to cool yourself whenever you get a chance. The trail is along the creek but not many access points to the water. We did the last 4.5 miles in the dark and met a deer (luckily not a elk) on the way up. Passed three groups and arrived at south rim at 11:30 pm. Make sure you were proper trail running shoes and bring hiking poles; a good day pack is a necessity.

Wow, what a hike. We started by 6am from North Rim on Friday 2June, arriving @ Phantom Ranch @ 5pm. Temps at the bottom reached >100deg. During the decent, I refilled the 3L bladder 4 times (12L), along with another 3L of elecrolytes; the box was grueling, taking time to stop many times. With tent, snack/food, water and sleeping bag, etc., the backpack was nearing 35lbs. We stayed the night at Bright Angel Campground. Saturday morning was up the Bright Angel Trail to the top. We definitely stopped at each watering hole, as the accent was challenging. Don't get me wrong, the views & experience were tremendous, and I'd do it again (but with larger shoes to prevent toenail damage).

Loved this hike. Hardest hike i've ever done, but worth it. We completed it in one day. Took us 15hrs.

Epic day hike. Rim2Rim in 11 hours 35 minutes. That includes a Bright Angel IPA at Phantom Ranch. Had to do it.