Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village

Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village is a 23 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near North Rim, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Point to Point

Four days across the Grand Canyon you will never forget! There is a secret to a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim hike: Take four days to do it, even if you can do it in one. - Spend time at Ribbon Falls? It's a destination unto itself. - Spend a couple of hours at Phantom Ranch hanging out with other hikers - Feel the incredible night breeze at Cottonwood Camp. - See the sunset at Plateau Point, which must be seen to be believed. So, take your time--take four days for the hike. Each day's trek is six miles or so, and you have all kinds of time to actually see the Canyon and marvel at its beauty. Spend your first night at Cottonwood Camp, and marvel at the lights from the North Rim Lodge twinkling a mile above you. Spend the second at Bright Angel Campground, and enjoy a steak dinner at Phantom Ranch. Spend your third night at Indian Garden, and just relax. The fourth day's hike out is much easier, since you are already nearly halfway up the south rim.

One of the best hiking experiences ever: This will make you a happier person overall, the level of accomplishment is high, you'll see views out of this world. I did this hike in 3 days. NR to Phantom Ranch in day 1, to Indian Garden in day 2 and to SR in day 3. I went solo during July and the hottest was 105 around Cottonwood. The only weird thing was that my two GPS went crazy around the "Box" the area North of Phantom Ranch. It was beautiful but intimidating, it looks like a labyrinth with no end, but you won't get lost because the Trail is very well maintained. I hiked even during the hottest hours because I did not want to miss a single view, and it paid off. Only do this if you are comfortable in the heat and enjoy it. If not, hike in the darkness but miss the views. I missed Ribbon Falls because the bridge was out of commission and Plateau Point which I kind of regret because I was exhausted. But I can always go back and I will! This is one of my three albums : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155596846852241.1073741843.642677240&type=1&l=43e1432de9 covering from Phantom Ranch to the South Rim. Some of the essential items in this hike are a camel pack, a plastic coffee cup and electrolyte powder. Not a good idea to put powder in your camel pack and the plastic coffee cup was very useful to mix the powder in the water stations.
Altitude changes : North Rim : 8200 ft, Cottonwood : 4000 ft, Phantom Ranch : 2500 ft, Indian Camp : 3800 ft, South Rim 6800 ft, all aprox. Distance between places average 7 miles.

This is epic day hike! Did the hike over July 4th holiday this year and it was hoooooot. Temp reached >110 F at the bottom of the canyon and i myself used 8L of water. We started from North Rim around 7 am and hoped to get to South Rim at 7 pm the same day. But it was so hot at the bottom that we stopped more than we expected. The trail at the bottom is along a creek. Strongly suggest to use the creek water to cool yourself whenever you get a chance. The trail is along the creek but not many access points to the water. We did the last 4.5 miles in the dark and met a deer (luckily not a elk) on the way up. Passed three groups and arrived at south rim at 11:30 pm. Make sure you were proper trail running shoes and bring hiking poles; a good day pack is a necessity.

Wow, what a hike. We started by 6am from North Rim on Friday 2June, arriving @ Phantom Ranch @ 5pm. Temps at the bottom reached >100deg. During the decent, I refilled the 3L bladder 4 times (12L), along with another 3L of elecrolytes; the box was grueling, taking time to stop many times. With tent, snack/food, water and sleeping bag, etc., the backpack was nearing 35lbs. We stayed the night at Bright Angel Campground. Saturday morning was up the Bright Angel Trail to the top. We definitely stopped at each watering hole, as the accent was challenging. Don't get me wrong, the views & experience were tremendous, and I'd do it again (but with larger shoes to prevent toenail damage).

Loved this hike. Hardest hike i've ever done, but worth it. We completed it in one day. Took us 15hrs.

Epic day hike. Rim2Rim in 11 hours 35 minutes. That includes a Bright Angel IPA at Phantom Ranch. Had to do it.

It was fun. Tough trail. Did it at night all in one day. Or should I say night.

Great time, went Rim-Rim-Rim. Nature at its finest. Connected with the Canyon and the family! ( Wife & Daughter ). Hiked and camped the entire trip , 5 days of bliss.
Highly recommend, get your cardio in shape, running hills and hitting the stairMaster.