Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village

Rim-to-Rim: North Kaibab to Grand Canyon Village is a 21.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near North Rim, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Point to Point

Four days across the Grand Canyon you will never forget! There is a secret to a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim hike: Take four days to do it, even if you can do it in one. - Spend time at Ribbon Falls? It's a destination unto itself. - Spend a couple of hours at Phantom Ranch hanging out with other hikers - Feel the incredible night breeze at Cottonwood Camp. - See the sunset at Plateau Point, which must be seen to be believed. So, take your time--take four days for the hike. Each day's trek is six miles or so, and you have all kinds of time to actually see the Canyon and marvel at its beauty. Spend your first night at Cottonwood Camp, and marvel at the lights from the North Rim Lodge twinkling a mile above you. Spend the second at Bright Angel Campground, and enjoy a steak dinner at Phantom Ranch. Spend your third night at Indian Garden, and just relax. The fourth day's hike out is much easier, since you are already nearly halfway up the south rim.

We finished this hike on Oct 13, 2018. We have a group of 5 people from N2S and a group of 3 from S2N. We started from the north kaibab trailhead at 5 am and finished at bright angel trailhead at 5:30pm.
Downhill with a lot of people, a wall of headlights zigzagging, at a beautiful starry sky background. Detoured for ribbon falls, but did not went too close. Meet our friend around 10:30 and did a funny ‘car key exchange ceremony’. Arrived at phantom ranch at 11:10 am and took a 1.5-hour break, including sending postcard with ‘transfer by mule’ stamp. Arrived at Indian garden at 2:30 pm. The final 3 piece of 1.5mi were difficult as we felt really tired. Not very steep with a lot of switchbacks, but seams endless. Our three other friends arrived around 7pm, caught the heavy rain started around 6:30pm T^T. Our opposite direction S2N friends finished their hiking in just 10 hours!
The scenery along the trail were astonishing. Pushing ourselves to the limit was amazing too!

Hiked down North Kaibab trail to Phantom Ranch and up Bright Angel on Oct 7th, 2018. I have hiked the GC before but this was my first time doing Rim to Rim. The entire hike had amazing views!!!The best hike so far! The hardest part is the last 5 plus miles out. I carried too much in my back pack (clothes) fearing rain that was in the forecast. We had hardly any rain leaving a heavy backpack. We had a group of 15 hikers and started in the dark at 5:30am. The first one out was at 1:20pm and the last two out was at 7pm. I got out at 3:20pm. Only stopped twice, once at Phantom Ranch for only 15 min and once at Indian Gardens for 10 min. I think if I rested a little longer and ate more I would have felt better coming out. For most of the hike I felt pretty good, but somewhat worn out for the climb out. I am 53 and plan do do it every year as long as I am able. It is a must do for every serious hiker!!!!

My husband and I started at the North Kaibab trailhead at 7 am on Saturday Sept 30. We felt great the first 18 miles but the last five were brutal. We took about two hours worth of breaks along the trail and ended at Bright Angel Trailhead at 8 pm. I would say it’s essential that you take hiking poles, they honestly saved us. The views are incredible and it’s so interesting to see how the vegetation and rock formations change as you travel through the canyon. It’s rewarding to see how far you’ve come! Incredibly hard but beautiful day.

Definitely worth the extra half mile to check out Ribbon Falls!

I went with my 11 year old son and my 63 year old dad. We stayed at Cottonwood, Bright Angel, and Indian Gardens. The trail was well maintained and wide enough that I never felt it was unsafe for my son. However, bring a filtration system because the pipe line breaks constantly. This was very exhausting for us because we are not in shape but it was do able and would recommend to anyone. We will never forget our trip here. Despite all the blisters and pain we are already planning our next trip via South Kaibab.

Beautiful trail. We started at 0710 and finished at 2215 with a couple of stops to dip in the stream and stare at ribbon falls.

We hiked Rim to Rim (N to S) over 2 days the week of July 4th, 2017. In preparation for the trip, the starting point is to get a resv @ phantom ranch (PR) - they have private cabins and dorms (male vs female); we were in the dorm. I think 2018 they started a lottery, so you will need to investigate that. We left our car on the S side of the rim, spent the nite on the rim in a GC Park lodge and then took a shuttle (private shuttle that picked up a group right at one of the lodges on the rim) to the N rim - it’s ~4 hr drive. We spent the nite at the N rim in the only GC park lodge (very rustic cabins, but have bathrooms). And then the morning of our hike, the same shuttle that drove us to the N rim came and picked up the same group for $5 per person and drove us to the trailhead (about 2m from the cabins). He picked us up @ 4:30am and we were on the trail by 5am. Needed headlamps then. Would recommend trekking poles. 14m down N Kabob Trail (took us 7 hours) to PR and then I think 9 m up Bright Angel Trail (took us 9 hours) (this was the killer; constantly stepping up over logged steps.). Going down, the last part before reaching PR is what is called ‘the box’ which is 7 m long. It is the lowest level of canyon rock, is black rock, and the canyon is very narrow in The Box. Heats up with the sun and can be very dangerous. Supposed to get thru it by 11am; which we were not, and knew we wouldn’t be. We got to PR around noon. We then sat on a rock in the river and cooled off. We had reserved dinner at PR (there are a couple of seatings to choose from; would recommend the early seating since you arrive at PR around noon.) We also reserved a packed lunch for the next day (we also bought early bfast, but left around 4:30am before it was served @ 6am; we did this to beat the heat.) We hiked 4th of July week; crazy hot. It’s a great experience, but need to research the trail (can be a little confusing at a couple of points and not a lot of hikers on the trails) and be prepared as people have died on the trail. We passed a couple of girls in their late 20s and one had been sick on the trail and they spent a very cold nite on the floor of a bathroom on the trail. Have to know about water consumption and not to drink too much or it throws your chemicals off and can become sick. Lots of research. When we got to the S rim, we had lunch and our car was right there. It’s absolutely beautiful seeing the sun come up in the GC. We carried very little with us, ea had a hydration pack, large brim sunhat, cooling cloth, electrolytes , snacks, emergency kit, chg of underware /socks, toothbrush, slept in our shorts and sports bras, ... Some people were doing the R2R in one day (not spending the nite) - wouldn’t recommend unless all are in excellent condition.

Beautiful way to experience the Grand Canyon. Spend 2 nights at Phantom Ranch if you can as there are great side trails and a creekside area

worth every bit of the pain.

Hiked in one day on Sept 11. On trail at 3:35 am, make sure you go to Ribbon Falls! Arrived at Phantom noon. 102 in the shade. Took frequent stops to dip shirt, hat & bandanna in Creek. Amazingly refreshing that Bright Angel Creek is near most of the way til PR. Hardest part was from River Resthouse to Indian Garden because of intense heat. We powered through, reached IG at 3:15. Soaked in the Creek, ate more salty crap and trudged on. Passed 3 mile and 1 1/2 mile without stopping. Watched the sunset and asked ourselves WTH is that TH?!? Arrived BA TH at 6:53 with that feeling of accomplishment you get when you train really hard for a year. I wouldn’t change one single thing-if you do this hike in one day: train, train, train.

Epic.

AMAZING hike! We started at the North Kaibab trailhead around 3:45am and arrived at Phantom Ranch just before 10am. Stayed two nights in the dorms at Phantom and then hiked up Bright Angel at 3am to avoid the August heat in the sun and arrived at the South Rim just before 11am. Plenty of water sources along the way, but they’re unpredictable, so check with the rangers on which sources are running before you leave!

I do the rim to rim to rim hike usually 4 times a year but I have never done it in August. Just finished yesterday. Left Bright Angel on 8/5 at 3:30 am. I had shade all the way till cottonwood campground. I was up at the North Kaibab trailhead by 12:30. Met a few folks on the way down on BA then a few coming down on North Kaibab but other than that it was pretty deserted compared to other times. Spend the night at the lodge , had a great morning then hit the trail about 2pm. Some parts were already in shade going down on NK. Few people on the trail till the tunnel then nobody till Phantom Ranch. It was pretty hot down there. I started climbing up at 6:30 pm from Bright Angel campground and finished by 10pm.
If you want solitude on the trail, this really works.
I was able to avoid the sun for the most part on day one, on day two - the only bad part was from cottonwood for about 4 miles. Then it got shady. The hike up was after sunset. I was always a bit apprehensive about August hiking but it worked out great. One of my favorite hikes. Just amazing. Highly recommended

I completed this hike July 29, 2018. I would have preferred to hike a cooler time of the year, but I was in Phoenix for work and decided to make it happen.

Stayed at Kaibab Camper Village (hour drive to Kaibab)
Left Kaibab trailhead at 3:15am
Arrived at Phantom Ranch at 7:40
Started feeling sick about two miles past PR and didn’t want to risk over-heating. The next seven miles were touch and go.
Arrived at Indian Garden 11am
Arrived at South Rim 3pm

I was sick with a fever in the days leading up to the hike and I’m sure that affected me. But the heat was still pretty awful, even at 8am at PR. If you’ve never done a hike like this, don’t start with this one. Know your limits and be careful with the heat.

This hike is 23-24 miles if you take Bright Angel trail. Definitely not 21.6 like it says here.

Has anyone done this trail Out and Back in One day? I have done Half-Dome in 6 hours, and finding myself still have plenty of power after reaching the bottom. I wonder if it would be possible to do a round trip of this in a day since given the elevation gain, it seems to be just double of half dome.

Will push your limits if not prepared. Not a lot of time to appreciate the wonder if you’re moving at pace, but a whole different level of beauty when your spent and climbing out. Be ready and be sure but do this and you will be rewarded with a memory for life.

The hike is an established is 23.9 miles. We just did it on Friday.

We did south kaibab up north kaibab in 14 hours. Going down was easy and we got to the Colorado river in under 3 hours. Poles were helpful. Up north kaibab was long and brutal in the 107 degree weather, swimming in ribbon falls was a lifesaver that kept us from overheating. I constantly soaked my clothes in the river and that was a huge help. But oh man, the most beautiful and amazing hike ever.

Hiked from north rim to south rim via north kaibab to bright angel campground then bright angel trailhead out. It was an incredible 3 days! We spent 2 nights at bright angel campground. We loved every day and it was truly an unforgettable adventure. It was so peaceful, relaxing and rewarding. I should have packed lighter and should have planned way earlier but it was still really amazing!

Hiked from North Rim to South Rim in a day via North Kaibab and Bright Angel. Here's what we did over 2 days (5/23/18 - 5/24/18):

Day 1:
Parked at South Rim Lot D
Used Trans Canyon shuttle to get to North Rim
Stayed overnight at Grand Canyon Lodge (motel)

Day 2:
4a - Started hike at North Kaibab TH
6a - Arrived at Cottonwood Campground (10-15 min rest)
9a - Arrived at Phantom Ranch (20-30 min rest)
11a - Arrived at Indian Garden (45 min rest)
1:30p - Arrived at South Rim

Useful Info:
Water was available at all stopping points (this varies year to year)
N. Kaibab to Phantom was almost entirely in shade based on our departure date/time; temperature was cold when we started
Last 4.5mi (from Indian Garden to S. Rim) was the most difficult by far; uphill slog the whole way in the sun
You should train for this hike, especially the downhill (tough on knees)

Gear/Food
Food: (2) Clif Bars, (2) PBJ sandwiches, jerky, fruit leathers, mixed nuts
Water: 3L bladder
Shoes: La Sportiva Wildcat
Socks: Injinji
Clothes: Patagonia R2 fleece for early morning, Columbia PFG hoodie, REI sun hat, Champion running shorts
Daypack: Camelbak Cloud Walker

Strava data:
25.98 total miles
7:56:08 moving time
18:19/mi pace
9:40 elapsed time
8,193 ft elevation
3.500 calories

Started at 5:30 on 5/26/18 and was at Phantom Ranch by 10:30. The climb down is fairly easy but taxing on the knees. Heart attack hill and then the strenuous corkscrew. Ever since leaving PR you’re in constant heat/sunshine until you come out. The last 5 miles up the Bright Angel trail is steep and brutal and it will take everything out of you. 54 year old male in good health and hike occasionally-it was on my bucket list and should be on yours as well.

Made this awesome hike with my wife and daughter last week for out 36th Anniversary. Impossible to describe! We did the hike in 3 days and spent two nights at Phantom Ranch. Be sure to see Ribbon Falls it is worth the extra distance.

Accomplished this epic hike in one day at end of October 2017. Total time 11 hours with about 1 hour of stops, including 30 minutes for lunch.

North Rim campground was still open but not the lodge - it was the last weekend they were open. We dropped in at 6:30 am and it was 36 degrees. When we got to the tunnel we stripped down to base and kept moving. In all my prep hikes I focused on the ascent and underestimated the beating my knees would take going down and I tweaked my left knee. Could only step down with the left and up with the right so slowed pace to about 2mph going up. We stopped every two hours for protein and salt/electrolytes. Temp was a cool 80 degrees through the box and we carried 2L of water and refilled at each stop (the water was still turned on). My hiking partner missed eating protein at one stop and we had to make an unplanned stop in the box to eat (we were trying to get past PR before eating lunch). We stopped at the river house on bright Angel Trail for 30 minutes to eat and change socks. Then we started the climb out - kept a steady pace but I could really feel my knee - more on the incline then the steps. We climbed out at 5:30 to our shuttle group who set up camp. Nice shower, meal and Ice for the knee

Getting ready to do South to South in 2 days (May 2018) and will consider my lessons learned. I will take my knee stabilizers and wear them the entire trip. I will use my trekking poles the entire way. I will stay with our protein/electrolyte plan. Ultra electrolytes, pickles, almonds, tuna packs, cut veggies with full fat dressing and we will start with 4L of water since there is no water on South Kaibab and it will be close to 100 at our he bottom

One of my favorite hikes, good advice to take your time, we had to shorten this to a 3 day hike so skipped on past Indian Garden right to the south rim, but if we had the choice staying there at Indian would have been better. My son and I did this hike starting at the north rim on the first day it opened, around middle of May. The weather/temps were perfect then. Make sure to spend some time at Ribbon falls it was my favorite spot.

I’ve done the R2R five times and can’t imagine getting tired of it. If you’re thinking of it as a bucket list item, it’s worthy. Don’t skip Ribbon Falls.

Did it first with my wife when I was 66. Second time with my two daughters at 68. Spent three nights in the canyon and would do it again. I don’t agree that you have to be in tip top shape but it would help. Take your time, observe and enjoy. It’s not a race and as long as you hike out you WIN!!! That being said you must be careful with the heat and hydration.

Exhausting and epic!! The vast and varied scenery along the way is unbelievable. Be prepared! Do not do this without adequate training and supplies. Hiking poles are a great asset! Make sure shoes fit correctly. I bruised my toes going down eight miles not having my boots laced correctly or not fitting right.
Bring layers. It was cold at the rims and very hot crossing the box at the bottom in May. I love this place. It’s a very Grand Canyon indeed!

amazing way to spend a day hiking.

This was my first time doing the R2R. I just want to say it was so amazing! Loved every moment backpacking through the north to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Amazing waterfalls my group saw along the way was spectacular! I would totally do this again.

One of the best trails in the country. Highly recommend it.

This was such an awesome hike. Took four days to hike it.