Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Ridgeline and National Trail Loop

Ridgeline and National Trail Loop is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Ranger Office Phone: (602) 262-7393 Hours for all trailhead areas and entrances: 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. (entrance gates close). Trails remain open until 11 p.m.

Loved this trail!!! The first half was easy and direct but once you get to ridgeline, it’s way to confusing. Even with the all trails map up the whole time I still had to turn around 3 times. But I will keep doing this trail because it’s so beautiful in the morning 6-8 am

Great trail, easy trek with great views.

It’s easy to get off the trail you intended to take and the ridge line is very hilly which caused this east coast winter girl to cut it short.

Took the old dirt road to National to Hidden Valley Loop, then came back on Mormon to Ridgeline. Lots of Wildflowers & saw a coyote family. Great views. Moderately busy. A few rocky areas in Hidden Valley that involved some scrambling & a boost for the dog, but otherwise a moderate trail.

Nice trail, the ridge line gave you 180 degree views of Phoenix, Camelback and Scottsdale. Glad we went clockwise, less crowded the further we hiked. Lot of loose rock, but was not a problem.

Beautiful views. Easy hike. Raining when we went which was pretty cool to walk in the mist but got cold and wet quickly

We parked down the street from the trailhead so it turned into a 4.9 mile trek for us. Easy hike. Hilly at parts and very rocky towards the end. (We went National to Ridge Line). Took us around an hour and a half but we walk at a quick pace. Wasn’t too crowded. Would definitely do it again!

Wonderful trail

This trail is misnamed - if you look at it, it actually doesn't go along the Pima Wash trail at all. It starts where it could, but then it goes on National Trail and Ridgeline Trail (or vice versa, if you go counterclockwise). It was a perfectly fine path to hike but most of National is more like walking on a dirt road.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Good desert hike, a bit more challenging than ‘easy’ if you’re a new hiker. You’re rewarded with nice views and a good workout (for the casual hiker). We saw many trail runners and MTBs on this one. Mostly hikers though. Note that signage is minimal-bring a map or gps. More than once we had to check our route against various unmarked side trails and lightly marked converging trails. Bring water.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Monday, December 18, 2017

I love this trail! I used to hike this multiple times a week until I moved away. Now I just wish I could come back to this trail! It has saguaro cactus and the wash is sandy and harder to walk through than a normal trail but man I love it. Can't wait to come visit so I can come back.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

This is my go-to trailhead. There are many trails to wander. A graded wider path that is excellent for bikes, narrow trails that loop around the mountain, sandy areas in the wash, steep climbs up on the ridges. Just stay aware of your surroundings if your dog is on a longer leash as could be unsafe with the cyclists. Unfortunately this trailhead is closed for renovations until late fall 2017.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

It's one of my favorite Wash hikes at South Mountain.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Its a pretty easy trail. Just a nice stroll through the desert with pretty scenery. I went in the morning around 7 and there were quite a few hikers and several mountain bikers. Watch for them on the downslope they are really moving. I brought my dog and there were several other dog owners. I was happy to see everyone had their dog on the leash. Keep an eye out on your way up for the remains of the old rec area buildings.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Good hike, however I would rate it moderate to hard, but definitely not "easy". There's a couple times you have to literally climb rocks by pulling yourself up which I wasn't used to doing. You will burn a ton of calories and lots of good inclines. Overall great hike!!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Maybe the weather and the company is what made this hike perfect, but it was just that. For some reason my route didn't record. We took National Trail to the ruins and came back to the trailhead via Pima Wash. An easier hike which I prefer because I'm just getting back into the swing of things.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Good workout and great views!

Friday, December 04, 2015

very nice easy walk....check out the stone house

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Very good hike for beginners. Starts out pretty flat in the beginning until you come up to several washes that you can follow up to the peaks. Very pretty view of Phoenix from the top. Especially if you catch a sunset. There is some loose rock on the trail, so be careful of your footing and always be on the lookout for mountain bikers. There were a lot of them coming back down going very fast.