Red Butte Trail

Red Butte Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Highway 64/180: Turn onto Forest Road (FR) 320. Travel east for 1.5 miles and turn left (north) onto FR 340. After traveling .75 mile on this road turn right (east) onto a spur road. The trailhead is located at the end of this .25 mile road.

Very easy hike! Sublime views of the often overlooked terrain only twenty three miles south of the Grand Canyon. I did see large cat tracks freshly made and have heard rumors of people spotting and/or bagging mountain lions in this area. I tend to hike alone as most of my friends are sedentary however the next time I hike this trail I will do so with others!

Awesome afternoon trail! Headed up around noon hung out at top for a bit then back down in 45mins. Beautiful views of the canyon and San Fransico peaks. Rocky trail so bring the right shoes!

Well worth the effort. The views in all directions are pretty amazing but looking toward Flagstaff into the volcanic field is spectacular. I agree with a previous poster here to keep a lookout for rattlesnacks. You never know when you’re going to get hungry.

My partner and I stopped to do this hike in the early morning before heading into the Grand Canyon. It was a lovely, quiet hike that was a great antidote to the McDonald's-tourist-zoo-endless-sea-of-gift-shops-entrance to the area. The hike wasn't too difficult but we had yet to fully adjust to the altitude (we're from Virginia and we operate at around 600 ft above sea level on a daily basis, whereas once you are in this part of AZ, you're at around 8,000 ft above sea level) so we were a bit huffy and puffy as we went up. Adding to this was the fact that there is a major heatwave in effect currently (they've been grounding flights in Phoenix because it hit 120 Fahrenheit). Nonetheless, the trail offers a fair amount of shade as you ascend, so we were able to pause and take in the marvelous views the whole time. Once you're at the top of the butte, you get 360 degree views of the area, which allows you to see the Grand Canyon in the distance.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Watch out for rattlesnacks. Well marked trail.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Nice short hike outside of Grand Canyon NP. Great views from the top. Dog friendly.

Monday, September 12, 2016